IGNORED

Tom Cleverley

Our playing style wasn't too bad against Chelsea or Swansea was it?

Granted, it was terrible in our last two games but if our playing style is reliant on Tom Cleverley then it's a bit worrying!

I have no problem with us playing only one winger really, but when it's not working, as it wasn't against United, why can't we change it up with the substitution? Why do we have to persist with playing a square peg in a round hole and keep things exactly the same way that wasn't working in the first place? It's frustrating the life out of me!

Déjà vu?

Me neither.

Only if 1) The winger isn't greedy, actually moves to create space for the FB and links up passing 2) if he tracks back. If thats the case, I'm all for it, because as you say, it's the link up thats the most important.

Or the full backs play with some common sense

It was a joke. A piss take.

The wingers must do this, the wingers must do that, but we never mention what the full-backs must do so that the wingers can do their job as well.

I was well aware, just being a pain in the ass.

It's a good point, I've not gone into the FB responsibilities, but I thought that was already clear.

• 2 weeks later...

With McCarthy being as effective as a chocolate tea pot in recent months, look forward to Tom coming back in.

See what a Barry, Clevs and Barkley 3 can do. Much more forward thinking i'm guessing. Jame's engine won't be missed, because Tom can compete with grass covered, it'll be his tackling (aha) that's missed.

Except it won't happen like.

With McCarthy being as effective as a chocolate tea pot in recent months, look forward to Tom coming back in.

See what a Barry, Clevs and Barkley 3 can do. Much more forward thinking i'm guessing. Jame's engine won't be missed, because Tom can compete with grass covered, it'll be his tackling (aha) that's missed.

spot on, also we won't miss mccarthy's yellow cards.

Except it won't happen like.

also spot on. mccarthy is the class favorite. unless we sell he and barry will play every match till they leave.

• 2 months later...

I think he gives us much needed balance when he plays from the left just as the likes of Pienaar, Osman and Arteta had for years. I'd give him a lot more opportunities there - excellent again last night.

Looked closer to the important player he'd become before missing a spell injured. He was a terrier last night; snapping at the Newcastle players, and his passing was crisp.

I would have thought his opportunities on the left would be quite limited now we've brought Niasse in. I'd have Mirallas there ahead of him too, and Besic, Barry and McCarthy ahead of him in central midfield. Honestly? If we don't get a European place for next season I don't know how many games he'd play.

Looked closer to the important player he'd become before missing a spell injured. He was a terrier last night; snapping at the Newcastle players, and his passing was crisp.

I would have thought his opportunities on the left would be quite limited now we've brought Niasse in. I'd have Mirallas there ahead of him too, and Besic, Barry and McCarthy ahead of him in central midfield. Honestly? If we don't get a European place for next season I don't know how many games he'd play.

Early Everton career, he was class.

I agree about the whole left side thing, however I do think Kevin's off in the summer, so it's only really Niasse in front of him. But I suppose it's his versatility that Roberto likes, should we find ourselves in a position where we carry multiple injuries in key positions.

That's what stuck out most for me too. Him, Barry and McCarthy snuffed numerous attacks out early. It's amazing what closing down gets you.

I didn't understand the negative comments about him at all. Very intelligent footballer, excellent engine, very similar to Gareth Barry.

He could nadapt to the DM role IMO.