IGNORED

Tom Cleverley

There was no reference to a number ten in your post or the post you quoted though; or in the thread title.

Sorry if my psychic powers were off ;).

My post before that berated us for saying we could use Cleverley for the 10 role, Steves post was in response to that. I know you've been away but you need to keep up :P

Assistant manager bigs up new players ability, non story for me.

Personally I think he'll play wide left, in the way Pienaar did. To act as a pivot for the left back and for the number ten, giving us the creativity Baines and Pienaar had with slick interplay, but with the freedom for Tom to step inside. While on the right its outright pace with Seamus and either Kev or Gerry.

We do need that player in between, I doubt it will be Tom. More than likely it will be Ross with McCarthy and Barry behind him until TDD when he tries to bring in his real target. Ultimately with Ross dropping deeper next to McCarthy.

Just trying to apply some logic of Martinez's previous moves and positions other players have played in before. I might be wrong, who knows.

Assistant manager bigs up new players ability, non story for me.

Personally I think he'll play wide left, in the way Pienaar did. To act as a pivot for the left back and for the number ten, giving us the creativity Baines and Pienaar had with slick interplay, but with the freedom for Tom to step inside. While on the right its outright pace with Seamus and either Kev or Gerry.

We do need that player in between, I doubt it will be Tom. More than likely it will be Ross with McCarthy and Barry behind him until TDD when he tries to bring in his real target. Ultimately with Ross dropping deeper next to McCarthy.

Just trying to apply some logic of Martinez's previous moves and positions other players have played in before. I might be wrong, who knows.

This. I think the management team get a level of distrust that should be reserved for the bell ends that employ them.

I think cleverly is going to surprise us this season. I bet he scores more than ross

It wont be difficult to score more than ross at the moment

How many did TC score last season playing for villa about 3 goals in 30 odd games

The only that surprises me about TC is that anyone thinks he will surprise us?

It wont be difficult to score more than ross at the moment

How many did TC score last season playing for villa about 3 goals in 30 odd games

The only that surprises me about TC is that anyone thinks he will surprise us?

based on the amount of stick he gets just being able to tie his shoelaces would exceed some peoples expectations. I think he's a decent player - decent. Not amazing, not poor.

Guest rusty747

I'll stick my neck out here and say that if we don't sell any players and add a quality cb and playmaker we can make a genuine challenge on the top four this season - provided everyone's hamstrings hold out! I also think Tom C would be an important part of that first team.

Edited by rusty747

I'll stick my neck out here and say that if we don't sell any players and add a quality cb and playmaker we can make a genuine challenge on the top four this season - provided everyone's hamstrings hold out! I also think Tom C would be an important part of that first team.

Not a chance for me Rusty mate, we're too thin on the ground squad wise.

Starting 11 and maybe upto first 14 we're strong but top 4 are strong all the way to 20 players as are Liverpool and Spurs.

I think 10th

Guest rusty747

I do agree that there is a problem with depth and that it requires luck with injuries and players making 30+ league appearances.

If hamstrings continue to snap at the current rate then I would have to agree with you.

Starting 11 and maybe upto first 14 we're strong but top 4 are strong all the way to 20 players as are Liverpool and Spurs.

I think 10th

agreed i said 11th in the fantasy thread. Others are getting a lot of reinforcements and quality signings, all signs are pointing to us either letting go of big players (stones, mccarthy) or not gettting a "massive" signing like a 10 or something. most likely loans, small deals that won't greatly improve the team, just keep us afloat.

I agree we need a few additions but a very big squad his a lot of unhappy players thinking they should be playing.

It would be hard trying to convince a quality striker to sign if they were likely to be sitting on the bench, I can't see Roberto playing 2 out and out strikers unless we're behind with 20 minutes to go.

Cleverley will be a good addition due to the fact he can play in a few positions, obviously was rated by Sir Alex and at 25 should be in his prime.

He's looked good preseason, so lets give him a clean slate and judge him after he has has a chance to play some competitive games for Everton

Keeping a settled team and without the distraction of world cup before and europa league during the season will help and I can see at least a top 8 finish.

Edited by captainbeaker

I think 10th

I agree if lukaku gets injured we are dead up front

and we desperately need a new keeper (another season of TH cock ups would just about do me in) we desperately need a number 10 and a new CB at the very least then you need back up for ROM, all those saying top 4 or 6 have very short memory's so far the defence is the same as last seasons if anything weakened by SD leaving.

Who's saying top 4 or 6? Haven't seen that for a while.

But I would also like to bet well finish top 8 this year and that things aren't as bad as many are making out.

We haven't gained the reputation of a bunch of moaners for nothing, that's what Evertonians do best.

I agree if lukaku gets injured we are dead up front

and we desperately need a new keeper (another season of TH cock ups would just about do me in) we desperately need a number 10 and a new CB at the very least then you need back up for ROM, all those saying top 4 or 6 have very short memory's so far the defence is the same as last seasons if anything weakened by SD leaving.

Or maybe slightly longer memories and can remember as far back as the previous season.

Guest rusty747

If we keep Stones and get Virgil watsisname from Celtic plus a quality attacking mid then I see no reason why we can't do at least as well as we did two seasons ago. If we could also get another quality striker then I would be very happy.

Edited by rusty747

If we keep Stones and get Virgil watsisname from Celtic plus a quality attacking mid then I see no reason why we can't do at least as well as we did two seasons ago. If we could also get another quality striker then I would be very happy.

I would be made up if I could walk on water. Sadly there is more chance of that than us getting another striker of any quality.

Wasn't last season under that same Moyes defence?

Moyes defence must have been a one season wonder.

You made my point for me same defence different coach ,one who takes it seriously, and one who thinks its beneath him to do anything as negative as defending.

You made my point for me same defence different coach ,one who takes it seriously, and one who thinks its beneath him to do anything as negative as defending.

Not a matter of thinking it was negative, more that attack is better. First half of last season, for 70 mins, it was right.