IGNORED

Tom Cleverley

Think he will be a good signing, will bring energy and a decent passer, also if he carries on in the same vein as he did towards the end of the season may bring few goals as well. Similar type of signing/player to Gibson hopefully without the injuries and if he plays as well he will do ok.

Oh well be a very interesting signing. As I have said before, the season where Kevin Davies crocked him he was looking good. There is a player there, Ferguson isn't that stupid. But let's see what's left of him after the United fans destroyed him.

RM..

"It says a lot also, when someone like Tom is available on a free transfer and he can pick his next club out of many options home and abroad, that he has chosen to play for our football club. That's the perfect start to his career here at Everton."

Heitinga was a decent center back but a poor midfielder (though he hardly ever played there for us I don't think); universal delight when we signed him if I recall correctly. Neville was a half-decent full back who played in midfield far to often but had his moments for us, events since he left and his obvious love for United even when he was here have clouded our retrospective judgement. The tackle on Ronaldo at Goodison was a seminal moment in whatever season it happened, we all loved him that day, as well as the day he had the saintly Gareth Bale (at the peak of his powers) in his back pocket for ninety minutes.

So a bit unfair I think.

Villa's fans seem to be most worried about whether Cleverley's call-up still counts as one for them due to this stat...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/england/11508860/How-many-players-has-your-club-provided-for-England.html

How very sad (specially as most of their representation probably dates back to the nineteenth century).

I don't think I'm being unfair Mike, I understand that Heitinga was a much better CB for us and the was even voted as our player of the season prior to his exit from Everton. Neville did have his moments of glory but as you pointed out, he played far too often in the midfield and I do recall games where Moyes for one reason or another played Heitinga as a CDM. While I have not seen Cleverly play too often, he has looked alright in the limited amount of games I have seen him play and as someone that can play in a couple of positions for us, I do not mind the signing at all. I simply wanted to point out that he offers better cover than Neville/Heitinga did in the CM position, no disrespect intended against either one :)

Villa fans opinions -

"Just reading the everton forum it looks 50/50 none of them seem too excited and a large majority are pretty underwhelmed. Mind you they are offering him 50k a week which is **** madness he is no way worth those kind of wages and glad we let him go if that is what he wanted lets not forget for the majority of this season he had been shite to the point where one game he got boo'd off."

"Yes when you look back at his loan spell, he gave us 4 or 5 good games and the rest pretty poor. Would rather of signed him but not a massive loss, although he will cost money to replace."

"Bye Tom and cheers for the goals. I always liked you, even when you didn't play so well. You always gave your everything, which is not so common for a loanee."

"Trying my hardest to remember the first half of the season when he was awful. I wish he'd done it vice versa but then again we might not have stayed up. Not being able to compete with Everton (I'm assuming Tim tried to keep him) leaves a bad taste in my mouth."

"Obviously didn't want to be here to start with so I give him credit for giving his all. Seems like a confidence player and could easily revert back to his early season form under a different manager. No guarantees Everton will get the Tom we've seen of late."

I like the fact that he clearly wanted to come here last summer and he's stuck to his guns. Having players who actually want to be here can only benefit us and I think we've got a good core who genuinely do. Of course there'll be players who see us as a stepping stone but as long as they give 100% (because anything more is impossible!!!) when they are here then I have no problem with that.

All in all I think Cleverley will do well here and genuinely feel he would have been very useful this season in the absence of Pienaar/Osman.

RM..

"It says a lot also, when someone like Tom is available on a free transfer and he can pick his next club out of many options home and abroad, that he has chosen to play for our football club. That's the perfect start to his career here at Everton."

It's always nice to be chosen by a player.

I'm trying to ignore Martinez' comment about him being the type of player we want though - sideways and backwards was seen in abundance already.

He may be that type of player we need. Some players suit certain styles of football. He's definitely a player who adds tempo, one two touch give and go. Could be a masterstroke.

This is what I'm hoping for. He isn't going to carve teams open with incisive through balls but he will get the ball from one area to another quickly. Him and McCarthy will run a lot as well, will be interesting to see the partnership they form as towards the end of the season they both relished a "free" role in midfield .

Edited by Btay

My worry is he will play like he did on the cup final....no energy.

And I really hope that this doesn't have a detrimental effect of Besic progress.

What he can do is turn the ball from defence to attack very simply....nothing to carve defences open but rather give it to the attacking players and let them do their work.

That's my worry.

Why not develop Besic.

I'm still struggling to see why we've brought him in. Martinez admitted in January when we failed to bring him in that he wasn't the type of player we needed anyway and it'd been a mistake to go after him. But nothing has changed whatsoever, so why do we need him now? The only way we need him is we're selling one of McCarthy, Gibson and Besic (no one is going to take Barry off our hands).

Met a hero at Manchester airport yesterday, Peter Reid - what a star he was too. Had a chat about cleverley - he likes him. He basically said "the lad has been put through it and lost his confidence, he's a good player"

He did actually say regarding Barkley that he is waiting for him "to show" - got absolutely all the tools and talent but at this moment he is playing within himself.

Gotta say sometimes you meet hero's and you are disappointed, my son Harry shouted "hiya" at him and is a very cute 17 months, reidy picked up that he was called Harry and gave it "how's it goin H!" - nice to meet a legend, wish had more time with him.

I'm still struggling to see why we've brought him in. Martinez admitted in January when we failed to bring him in that he wasn't the type of player we needed anyway and it'd been a mistake to go after him. But nothing has changed whatsoever, so why do we need him now? The only way we need him is we're selling one of McCarthy, Gibson and Besic (no one is going to take Barry off our hands).

That's the bit I don't get, one minute he's not the player we're looking for now he's exactly the right player for us.

He just waffles absolute shite.

Both Arteta and Pienaar were journeymen when Moyes bought them. Arteta had failed to make it at Barca, so went to Scotland for two years. From there back to Spain to Sevilla where he didn't exactly shine before Moyes bought him. Pienaar played well at Ajax but never settled at Dortmund. Pienaar was actually the same age when he joined on loan as Cleverley is now.

Arteta was never a journey man the skill was always clear to see as for failing at barca so do 99.9% of players

cleverly has never shown any class at best his England caps were generous to say the least he had 10 years under fergie never got better

never a first teamer either cup games or loan spells.

It just highlights our lack of ambition and as for the 5 year contract that worked well with Martinez im sure it will be the same with this lad.

you say pienaar and tom are the same age have you ever seen tom play anywhere near pienaars level because I haven't.

Edited by seve