IGNORED

Tom Cleverley

Both Arteta and Pienaar were journeymen when Moyes bought them. Arteta had failed to make it at Barca, so went to Scotland for two years. From there back to Spain to Sevilla where he didn't exactly shine before Moyes bought him. Pienaar played well at Ajax but never settled at Dortmund. Pienaar was actually the same age when he joined on loan as Cleverley is now.

Pretty much exactly what I was going to post in reply.

I think Cleverley is a good signing. He will add something different to the team. Play him alongside McCarthy or Besic. I know he is a CAM but is he a replacement for Barry?

I hope not, he is not a defensive player. Unless he is going to be the link up player from defense to the AMC, which would mean McCarthy would have to stay in front of the back 4 (which limits the effectiveness of the 2 DCMs covering the FBs when they attack).

Has anyone got the Samaritans number handy? Romey may need some help being talked down from the ledge...

I hope not, he is not a defensive player. Unless he is going to be the link up player from defense to the AMC, which would mean McCarthy would have to stay in front of the back 4 (which limits the effectiveness of the 2 DCMs covering the FBs when they attack).

Has anyone got the Samaritans number handy? Romey may need some help being talked down from the ledge...

I'll hold off until I see what other business we do. But if Cleverley is the standard of player we're going to bring in then I'll be hoping next season never starts.

Is this it then our level to bring in journey men who will make no difference to the team just because he is free?

where are the artetas,graverons,pieanars, who will make a difference, they are out there.

Non of the above mentioned cost a lot.

I know you will say Tom is an England international but come on did you actually watch him last year

6 ok games out of 36 not good enough I would sooner give youth a chance or even sign rodwell back?

Most of Martinez signings are uninspiring. We do need the types of players you mention.... Not sure he's got an eye for them though

If his wage is 50k per week (I think it'll be higher), then the oultlay for him over five years is £13m. I can't really complain at that when Milner's just signed for Liverpool for equivalent of £39m.

Milner is 3 times the player Cleverley is, at least on recent form.

talking shite mc. lukaku, gerry, mccarthy, lennon, besic. i'm very happy with all those. only knocks are kone, barry, alcaraz. 5 good, 3 bad, that's a great return mate.

I'd not include Barry there, even if he had a dodgy season (along with the rest). He was very good last year.

talking shite mc. lukaku, gerry, mccarthy, lennon, besic. i'm very happy with all those. only knocks are kone, barry, alcaraz. 5 good, 3 bad, that's a great return mate.

Cough! Err McGeady?

I would even put Barry as a good one to be fair. But agree with the rest.

Though MC has a point. A lot of hos signings haven't generated a lot of excitement. Where's the real MC gone...that's almost two days of making sense now.

Cough! Err McGeady?

I would even put Barry as a good one to be fair. But agree with the rest.

Though MC has a point. A lot of hos signings haven't generated a lot of excitement. Where's the real MC gone...that's almost two days of making sense now.

okay here it is revised

Good

Lukaku, Gerry, McCarthy, Lennon, Besic, Barry

Bad

Alcaraz, Kone, McGeady, Traore

6 to 4, still good odds. you can count Barkley's resurgence down to him as well but he wasn't his signing.

Don't know how to feel about this. What bothers me is that we are basically still buying potential, because he has been arse almost his entire career in spite of people saying that he should develop into a top player. People are still saying that for years, still saying that and he's now 25 years old. I hope that Roberto can bring the best out in him. He has done before and if he can, we'll have a decent player. We know that he wants to play for everton at least, which is a good sign. Probably be shite though likesay.

okay here it is revised

Good

Lukaku, Gerry, McCarthy, Lennon, Besic, Barry

Bad

Alcaraz, Kone, McGeady, Traore

6 to 4, still good odds. you can count Barkley's resurgence down to him as well but he wasn't his signing.

6 to 4 is not good odds

Especially for a team with our budget.

http://www.evertonfc.com/news/2015/06/05/everton-to-sign-cleverley

Officially on the OS, time to move the thread to the general everton forum?

Done.

Personally I have no idea whether it's a good deal or a shit one; I don't watch a lot of football outside Everton like some. But he's one of us now so I'm behind him all the way, time will tell. Think I'm going to have a scan of Villa forums to see the reaction.

Think I'm going to have a scan of Villa forums to see the reaction.

"It was always odds on, FWIW I liked TC even when he was playing badly he tried.
Time will tell but for me he has gone to one of the worst clubs possible for him. If he thought OT and VP was bad just wait until the Red envy start on him.
Good luck Tom as I think you will need it."
or...
"Big loss for us with the way he was playing bar the last three games."
"Red envy" is a new one on me; never heard us called that before. How imaginative (and uninformed) :rolleyes:.

I did see an interesting tweet, something along the likes of, "We've had Heitinga and Neville in our midfield, Cleverly on a free is a good buy" and I tend to agree. Martinez has worked with him before so I expect for him to get the best out of him.

Heitinga was a decent center back but a poor midfielder (though he hardly ever played there for us I don't think); universal delight when we signed him if I recall correctly. Neville was a half-decent full back who played in midfield far to often but had his moments for us, events since he left and his obvious love for United even when he was here have clouded our retrospective judgement. The tackle on Ronaldo at Goodison was a seminal moment in whatever season it happened, we all loved him that day, as well as the day he had the saintly Gareth Bale (at the peak of his powers) in his back pocket for ninety minutes.

So a bit unfair I think.

Villa's fans seem to be most worried about whether Cleverley's call-up still counts as one for them due to this stat...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/england/11508860/How-many-players-has-your-club-provided-for-England.html

How very sad (specially as most of their representation probably dates back to the nineteenth century).

Time will tell but for me he has gone to one of the worst clubs possible for him. If he thought OT and VP was bad just wait until the Red envy start on him.

after seeing how the goodison faithful treated ross and how a lot of people treat lukaku on here and elsewhere i'm not surprised in the least to see this. "most knowledgeable fanbase" it may be, but sometimes also the hardest on players and unforgiving. let's hope we are able to turn the corner with tom and not treat him like we did naisy we he first arrived.