IGNORED

Tom Cleverley

http://www.espnfc.com/everton/story/2522101/no-regrets-leaving-man-united-says-evertons-cleverley

Everton's new recruit Tom Cleverley says that he feels no bitterness towards his former club Manchester United and plans to revive his flagging England career.

The 25-year-old midfielder joined the Toffees on a free transfer on July 1 after spending most of last season at Aston Villa on loan. He made just one league appearance for Manchester United in 2014-15 after the arrival of Louis van Gaal as manager.

"I've got no regrets whatsoever (about leaving Manchester United)," Cleverley told ESPN FC in Singapore where he's playing in the 2015 Barclays Asia Trophy, which also features Arsenal, Everton, Stoke City and a Singapore Select XI.

"Louis van Gaal was always very honest with me which is the most that you can ask as a player.

"I spent 13 years there (at Manchester United) -- and it's been a massive part of my life. There were plenty of ups and downs and winning trophies, which I will never forget. They were some of the best days of my life and I will always look back with fond memories."

Cleverley added that he was watching with interest this week as the Red Devils signed fellow midfielders Bastian Schweinsteiger -- from Bayern Munich -- and former Southampton star, Morgan Schneiderlin.

"It's exciting times for their club and I wish them all the best," he said. "But I'm concentrating on Everton now."

Making 79 Man United appearances in all competitions, Cleverley won the 2012-13 Premier League trophy in Sir Alex Ferguson's final season in charge. He also won the Community Shield in 2011 and 2013.

In addition to his stint with Villa last season, he had loan spells with Leicester City, Watford and Wigan, under his current Everton boss Roberto Martinez.

"I've worked with Roberto Martinez before and was excited to get back with him," said Cleverley.

"Everton have got a great squad with great fans and a lot of history so it was a decision that was easy to make to come here."

Cleverley is in line to start for Everton against Stoke in the Barclays Asia Trophy opener at the Singapore National Stadium on Wednesday night.

He added that he hoped the move to Goodison Park would help his claims of returning to the England squad. He's made 13 appearances since 2012 and represented Great Britain at the 2012 London Olympics.

"Everton have a lot of young internationals in their squad so hopefully I can get some good form under my belt and get back onto the international scene," he said.

"Just at the end of the season I got back in the England squad and I want to get some more caps, obviously."

After Everton's match against Stoke, Arsenal will play the Singapore Select XI at Singapore's new National Stadium. The final will be held on Saturday.

I'm going to sit in a dark corner and rock.

If he is then it's because we have fuck all money and simply can't afford to buy an actual no. 10.

Ooooooor it's a ploy.

Either way, TC (you're welcome) can supply quick passes that we need

15 year old Scotch is gooooooood

A little bit of over reaction alert here chaps. If he starts him as a 10 in pre season then ok maybe but all he has said is score 5-10 goals which is fine, it's not like he's saying go and be our goal threat.

Any midfielder who can get forward should be looking at 5-10 goals.

Am I missing something here palace can afford a proper No 10 but we get cleverly?

afford and spend are different things - some clubs can't afford but spend, we can't afford and invariably dont spend.

Our ability to "afford" what we do spend comes from the TV money and player sales - nothing generated at a commercial level, certainly not whilst Elstone ties us to sackable deals like Chang and Kitbag.

Then again why would a board with any vision continue to employ an amateur.... because they are amateurs.

But the long and short of it is :- we dont know if we are signing a playmaker, for me cleverely is not that player, he is the player who ticks play over, keeps tempo and feeds the play maker.

I really don't see Cleverley being our Number 10. I think it's Martinez installing some confidence in him.

He'll be used as a versatile stand in (like Barkley was last year) but one that's still a consistent threat (on goal).

I think he'll be better than people are expecting (which admittedly isn't a lot) but he won't be a world beater. Definitely think we need a 'proper' playmaker. Who that'll be, I have no idea.

I really don't see Cleverley being our Number 10. I think it's Martinez installing some confidence in him.

He'll be used as a versatile stand in (like Barkley was last year) but one that's still a consistent threat (on goal).

I think he'll be better than people are expecting (which admittedly isn't a lot) but he won't be a world beater. Definitely think we need a 'proper' playmaker. Who that'll be, I have no idea.

I think its slightly disappointing that memories are so short. This lad looked the business in 2011 prior to him getting singled out and dogged by Kevin "i'm a nice lad but I will try and injure you" Davies.

The Man United fans demonstrated their fickleness perfectly with this lad - they had banners saying "who needs wesley when we've got cleverley" - after a really good pre season and being the best player till he got a 3 month injury lay off. Next thing you know the lad has to close his twitter account and suffer a petition not to be picked for england....

this social media ridiculous bullying could only be down to the fact that he was chosen to replace the irrplaceable in Paul Scholes and deterred SAF from buying schneider for £40m or so....

the same will no doubt happen to Januzaj (after being heralded as the next cryff).

I really do look forward to this lad finding a place where he can relax and play football and I think we are the club to do that. He was made scapegoat for Moyes reign, Villa fans slated him until they actually realised he was helping them escape relegation.

P.S we got him for nothing.... he rejected Villa and Arsenal for us.

I am expecting a solid - unspectacular player who makes us a quicker passing team (but people just wont be able to identify why in the same way they can't see McCarthys value)

Edited by Hafnia

I think its slightly disappointing that memories are so short. This lad looked the business in 2011 prior to him getting singled out and dogged by Kevin "i'm a nice lad but I will try and injure you" Davies.

The Man United fans demonstrated their fickleness perfectly with this lad - they had banners saying "who needs wesley when we've got cleverley" - after a really good pre season and being the best player till he got a 3 month injury lay off. Next thing you know the lad has to close his twitter account and suffer a petition not to be picked for england....

this social media ridiculous bullying could only be down to the fact that he was chosen to replace the irrplaceable in Paul Scholes and deterred SAF from buying schneider for £40m or so....

the same will no doubt happen to Januzaj (after being heralded as the next cryff).

I really do look forward to this lad finding a place where he can relax and play football and I think we are the club to do that. He was made scapegoat for Moyes reign, Villa fans slated him until they actually realised he was helping them escape relegation.

P.S we got him for nothing.... he rejected Villa and Arsenal for us.

I am expecting a solid - unspectacular player who makes us a quicker passing team (but people just wont be able to identify why in the same way they can't see McCarthys value)

Lol imagine being a fickle fan who was constantly slating one of your own players no matter what they do ! :P

Agree with what your saying here though

Lol imagine being a fickle fan who was constantly slating one of your own players no matter what they do ! :P

Agree with what your saying here though

Who's fickle? My opinion of Romelu has been the same since the end of 2013. I've never taken to twitter to insult him, never booed an Everton player plus I will not refuse to give credit where it is due. Its just the fact that my opinion of him as a footballer differs.

When and if he does prove me wrong, (and I sincerely hope he does this in an Everton shirt) I will say I am wrong.

Not to sure about this "slating no matter what they do" - because if you would like me to I will happily bring back positive comments where he has played well or scored good goals - in other words you are talking rubbish Dunc. My overall opinion of him isn't good, but don't mistake that for "always being critical".

This isn't a Lukaku thread.

Back to Tom.

Thought he did well when he came on. Moved things on a fair bit, kept the tempo high, did a lot of running to retrieve the ball and running to receive it. Was pleasantly surprised. Yes it was a training game but he didn't make a bad impression. It's the sort of game that you can excuse players walking about in but he didn't.

In the words of Eric Harrison Man United coach back in SAF days:-

"He is so special because he is supremely fit, 100 per cent committed and he is supremely talented. At the start of the season when he played our passing tempo was so quick it was unbelievable. It was just like it has been in the past. Last season the tempo slowed but with him in the team he speeds it up and so I can’t wait to see him back in the team because of those quick, short passes and little one-twos, plus his positional play is great."

What I have alwayts identified:-

Very fit player with a great engine

Touch footballer, doesn't hang on to the ball - great tempo setter who can exploit opponents lack of positioning and make them work

Positionally very smart

Touch footballer, doesn't hang on to the ball - great tempo setter who can exploit opponents lack of positioning and make them work

Positionally very smart

I have to say, this was on show.

FFS pad was right. Never said that before, it sounds weird. Well shit I hope this is misdirection.

I was right about what? I never said he would be our number 10?

As per usual Mark, you're wrong and I do say that a lot so it doesn't feel weird.

The closest I got was telling Romey I've a horrible feeling he is gonna be right and he'll play him in the 10.

I was right about what? I never said he would be our number 10?

As per usual Mark, you're wrong and I do say that a lot so it doesn't feel weird.

The closest I got was telling Romey I've a horrible feeling he is gonna be right and he'll play him in the 10.

right that's what i mean ^. sadly it might come true, i thought you were just having a rough day, but turns out this continental 10 might just be a pipedream. i was just joking about the right/wierd thing man, chill. wasn't having a dig at you, actually the opposite.

In the words of Eric Harrison Man United coach back in SAF days:-

"He is so special because he is supremely fit, 100 per cent committed and he is supremely talented. At the start of the season when he played our passing tempo was so quick it was unbelievable. It was just like it has been in the past. Last season the tempo slowed but with him in the team he speeds it up and so I can’t wait to see him back in the team because of those quick, short passes and little one-twos, plus his positional play is great."

Positionally very smart

If there's one thing this club needs its to speed up the pace of the game and pass the ball quicker. Last year's pace and passing was done at a disgracefully and impotently slow speed.

If there's one thing this club needs its to speed up the pace of the game and pass the ball quicker. Last year's pace and passing was done at a disgracefully and impotently slow speed.

People were saying we were over passing - we weren't, we just weren't doing it at tempo.

Play any team that is good at 5 a side - its not about getting the ball up as quick as possible, it is the ability to "move" it at increased tempo, it can go backwards, to the side, forward - even if their team sits behind the ball the speed of tempo is what cuts through them - 1 and 2 touch.

Its the players that facilitate that play that make a difference - they infect the other players to do the same. Believe it or not Naismith is very good at 1 and 2 touch play in order to break through the lines as well as Baines (and a good pienaar). Its just that Nais doesn't always complete the pass - the brain is there.

People were saying we were over passing - we weren't, we just weren't doing it at tempo.

&

Its the players that facilitate that play that make a difference - they infect the other players to do the same. Believe it or not Naismith is very good at 1 and 2 touch play in order to break through the lines as well as Baines (and a good pienaar). Its just that Nais doesn't always complete the pass - the brain is there.

ErCLQgG.jpg

Got to agree with Haf on TC here, think he could make us tick, we have got some devastating players out wide we just take to long getting it out there in most cases. Just watched the friendly against Stoke, although not entirely impressed but created a few good chances with some quick interplay and a sharp third man run, second game of pre-season so it will only get better!