IGNORED

We've qualified for Europe!

West Ham's win over Spurs has seen us qualify for the Europa League.. :)

There are three places in the UEFA Europa League available: the FA Cup winners will enter at the Group Stage; the fifth place team in the Barclays Premier League will enter at the Play-Off stage; and the Football League Cup winners will enter at the Q3 stage.

In the event the FA Cup winners are qualified for the UEFA Champions League the FA Cup runners-up will qualify, but in the place reserved for the lowest ranking Barclays Premier League representative. The place with direct access to the Group Stage will be given to the club that finishes in the highest position in the Barclays Premier League of the clubs qualifying for the UEFA Europa League.

Sourced from: http://www.premierleague.com/content/premierleague/en-gb/fans/faqs/who-qualifies-to-play-in-europe.html

As it stands, Everton have qualified for the playoff stage of the UEFA Europa League. If Arsenal win the FA Cup, Everton will receive a bye to the Group stage.

West Ham's win over Spurs has seen us qualify for the Europa League.. :)

That at least should put some people's mind at rest about the chances of losing out on a european place altogether, but it's champions league soccer that the majority have their eyes set on. Still believe we've left it too late for that objective and whatever we do in our last two games could well prove irrelevant as Arsenal should get the points they require but at least we now have a place in europe for next season. Can afford to relax a little against Manchester City today some would argue.

Doing some rough math based on the prize money numbers from this year's Europa Competition; Let's suppose Everton finish 2-3-1 and 2nd overall in their group. That's 2.4M Euros right there. Going 3-2-1 and winning the group would be 2.7M Euros. I'm sure we could do even better than that - Tottenham went 6-0-0 - but even by conservative estimates that's decent money before we even get into winning Knockout Phases. And without addressing ticket sales, TV deals, etc. I understand it's a far cry from Champions' League money but that's still a solid sum which could be invested in all sorts of ways.

Its only extra income if we maintain our positioning in the league. 1m a place in the league, 4m to total income (if i remember correctly, but think i need correcting) means if we drop to 9th we lose what we wouldve gained participating until the final.

still, i want to see Everton in Europe - its where we belong

Not sure if you're :fishing: right now :P

I've not been on this forum for a few months now so I've not really been ITK. Shocking how any Blue can be against getting into Europe. It's a bit like Real Madrid fans wanting Ancelotti sacked because he has got them to the Champions League final.

If you want to watch the team deteriorate rather than improve then I'll be the first to suggest to you that you should start supporting Newcastle United.

Obviously some teams have suffered as a result of the extra games. We shouldn't be avoiding Europa because of this - we should be learning from their mistakes and make sure we're fully prepared for the extra strain. Roberto definitely has his head screwed on, he's been saying a large squad is key to success since he's joined.

"IF" we get the right resource to handle the extra fixtures then yeah i'm all for it. I will be intrigued to see how Martinez style will equate in a euro tie. I love watching us play, so yeah great.

I don't get all the astonishment at "some fans" not being for it, from a resource perspective it carries risks - there is no getting away from that. Imagine Liverpools season if back in December Luis Suarez tore his hamstring playing on a frosty night in Ukraine against lowly opponents...

At present our squad depth is barely big enough for a domestic season. The average injuries per game in the prem is over 0.5 - which is rough terms means on average a club can expect to have a player injured 1 in 4 games. The europa league could see us play 15 extra games I think = 4 injuries.

Factor in reduced recovery, travelling etc and there is an impact - no question about that.

I'm not saying "gutted we are in Europe" - I am saying that provisions need to be made to account for this and that will come at financial expense...

If we go on and win it and finish 8th-10th I would be delighted - chuffed to bits, so i'm not being a doom mongerer, just merely assessing the risk. Seeing a big team at Goodison is a great feeling, I recall watching Ronald Koeman for Feyernood in 96 pinging 50 yard passes all over the shop.