IGNORED

Everton players at the 2014 FIFA World Cup

John Stones on the stand by list as well. Liverpool have 5 players in the England squad. What would your England squad be against Italy?

---Hart----

Johnson---Jags---Cahill--Baines

Gerrard

Lallana Sterling

Barkley

Rooney Sturridge

On paper England have a really exciting team, think we'll see a few more goals than we normally do :)

On paper England have a really exciting team, think we'll see a few more goals than we normally do :)

When looked at in isolation, I would agree. When lined up against other teams, though, we look rather weak. Rooney is not world-class. Jones and Smalling struggle to make it on the ManU team, yet they are in the England squad?

On the whole, Roy Hodgson has struck a nice balance between experience and youth, and he's had the guts to leave some established players out - such as Cole. It's a pity he didn't leave Lampard out as well, although he's probably counting on his prior WC experience more than his footballing abilities.

John Stones on the stand by list as well. Liverpool have 5 players in the England squad. What would your England squad be against Italy?

---Hart----

Gerrard

Lallana Sterling

Barkley

Rooney Sturridge

England will be playing Four-Four-F*cking Two!

I hope.

---Hart----

Gerrard

Lallana Sterling

Barkley

Rooney Sturridge

You wanna kill Gerrard, bluenose? :P the only holding midfielder in that lineup, with only attacking players in midfield?

England's starting XI looks quite strong in paper (but no room for Barkley for me!):

Hart

Johnson, Jagielka, Cahill, Shaw

Gerrard, Wilshere, Henderson

Sterling, Rooney, Sturridge

I know I will be blasted, but I prefer Luke Shaw (and Ashley Cole) over Baines. Baines is slow and England will not have Gareth Barry to cover his back.

Also, it's unbeliavable the weakness of the RB spot. If Johnson gets injured, it's a disaster, the second best RB selected in this country is John Stones, I would have taken Clyne. I don't trust the Man Utd overrated pair.

This is a strong attacking team, mobile and with flair and ability to score. I see it like Liverpool this year: exciting but lacking at the back four. Johnson is not a great defender and he gets caught out of position often, Jags and Cahill are solid but nothing spectacular and Baines will have trouble in 1v1 with fast wingers. I hope I'm wrong, this team, if they manage to control the games, they can be candidates.

England's starting XI looks quite strong in paper (but no room for Barkley for me!):

Hart

Johnson, Jagielka, Cahill, Shaw

Gerrard, Wilshere, Henderson

Sterling, Rooney, Sturridge

I know I will be blasted, but I prefer Luke Shaw (and Ashley Cole) over Baines. Baines is slow and England will not have Gareth Barry to cover his back.

Also, it's unbeliavable the weakness of the RB spot. If Johnson gets injured, it's a disaster, the second best RB selected in this country is John Stones, I would have taken Clyne. I don't trust the Man Utd overrated pair.

This is a strong attacking team, mobile and with flair and ability to score. I see it like Liverpool this year: exciting but lacking at the back four. Johnson is not a great defender and he gets caught out of position often, Jags and Cahill are solid but nothing spectacular and Baines will have trouble in 1v1 with fast wingers. I hope I'm wrong, this team, if they manage to control the games, they can be candidates.

Wilshire - hasn't done a thing in a long time. Lets just say that by all accounts he has thrown his talent away... I would have Barkley in a heart beat over him, wilshire spends half his time on the floor whinging when he has been muscled off the ball.

Shaw over Baines? - Baines is quick enough, has a tremendous engine and is experienced. Shaw is still very raw IMO.

Other than that I agree.

Wilshire - hasn't done a thing in a long time. Lets just say that by all accounts he has thrown his talent away... I would have Barkley in a heart beat over him, wilshire spends half his time on the floor whinging when he has been muscled off the ball.

Scholes was a natural player (i.e.: no diving or useless tricks), let's hope his talk with Wilshere had some effect. In my opinion, there's not another English midfield with the raw ability that Wilshere has in short spaces (Close control, ability to play one touch passes, midfield tempo), and he would mix well with the other two, Gerrard in the holding role and Hendo running around doing his thing. Barkley is not that type of player (yet), and if he plays along Henderson I fear Barkey would play AMC and Henderson would switch to a role dictating the play that does not suit him.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Do you know what, over everything else, one of the things that I take from the Nike advert, is that not just the VERY top clubs have marketable players, but clubs like Everton do as well.

A lot of good players there, from prestigious and large clubs, and to have one of our own in a campaign like it, is only a good thing.

Do you know what, over everything else, one of the things that I take from the Nike advert, is that not just the VERY top clubs have marketable players, but clubs like Everton do as well.

A lot of good players there, from prestigious and large clubs, and to have one of our own in a campaign like it, is only a good thing.

Yes I believe a large part of that has to do with him being American. He's the best American player in the world (Dempsey, Bradley, and formerly Donovan as well) so he's instantly marketable because we (USA) are a large country.

This is why I truly believe Everton needs another big American after Tim leaves. It instantly gets the club fans in the states and marketability since so few American players do well abroad.

Marketability means nothing if you can't sell in the market....

I believe the USA is very marketable. we love our merchandise over here...

When I first started following Everton I had no idea Howard was American. I remember playing FIFA06 for ps2 and looking at all the players' attributes and noticed he was American. I thought that was so cool, because he was the first American I saw non - MLS, and he had a decent rating! I then learned that McBride and Joe Max-Moore played here as well, albeit a short time, but still. And then when Donovan came the first time, I fell in love completely. Now I could never imagine supporting another club, even if there were no Americans here anymore.

There's no doubt that the sport is growing here, but we need more "stars" for the youth to look up at and say: "I want to play like " Dempsey, Donovan, Howard or, more recently, Bradley. They have made those sort of impacts, and they're not even in the same group as the Ronaldos, Messis, et al. I'm praying for a world beater to come along for us.

Obviously, I'd never want Everton to buy a player just for marketability, as I only want genuinely good players at this club. I'm just saying that the market is there.

PS I've went on to buy from the Everton store multiple times, and attribute a small part of that to the American connection. I know I'm not the only American who does. Just look at how many Americans are on this forum even.

\endrant [emoji29]

I believe the USA is very marketable. we love our merchandise over here...

When I first started following Everton I had no idea Howard was American. I remember playing FIFA06 for ps2 and looking at all the players' attributes and noticed he was American. I thought that was so cool, because he was the first American I saw non - MLS, and he had a decent rating! I then learned that McBride and Joe Max-Moore played here as well, albeit a short time, but still. And then when Donovan came the first time, I fell in love completely. Now I could never imagine supporting another club, even if there were no Americans here anymore.

There's no doubt that the sport is growing here, but we need more "stars" for the youth to look up at and say: "I want to play like " Dempsey, Donovan, Howard or, more recently, Bradley. They have made those sort of impacts, and they're not even in the same group as the Ronaldos, Messis, et al. I'm praying for a world beater to come along for us.

Obviously, I'd never want Everton to buy a player just for marketability, as I only want genuinely good players at this club. I'm just saying that the market is there.

PS I've went on to buy from the Everton store multiple times, and attribute a small part of that to the American connection. I know I'm not the only American who does. Just look at how many Americans are on this forum even.

\endrant [emoji29]

Just meant that merchandise isnt available to the market because of our deal with Kitbag, website the exception, no reflection on the countries where the fans are!

Just meant that merchandise isnt available to the market because of our deal with Kitbag, website the exception, no reflection on the countries where the fans are!

Okay, now that I understand!

It was definitely annoying ordering from the UK. It always takes forever for my stuff to get here!

Okay, now that I understand!

It was definitely annoying ordering from the UK. It always takes forever for my stuff to get here!

Im not so worried about the delivery time to Switzerland (I get my stuff when I visit my family in Liverpool), its just the cost of shipping that pisses me off on top of the fact I walk into sports shops all over the world and see Utd, Chelsea etc wherever I turn. Thats something we cannot do in the market (country) which is a major handicap, which is what I was getting at :)

Im not so worried about the delivery time to Switzerland (I get my stuff when I visit my family in Liverpool), its just the cost of shipping that pisses me off on top of the fact I walk into sports shops all over the world and see Utd, Chelsea etc wherever I turn. Thats something we cannot do in the market (country) which is a major handicap, which is what I was getting at :)

Indeed. Shipping is hella expensive. When I bought the 2011/2012 home and away kit, they were on sale 2 for 1. The money I saved on one kit pretty much all went to shipping.

Such is life.

It's a shame, we must have missed out on so much because of this. We should have been selling Everton shirts in the Galaxy club shop when Donovan was here. We should be selling our shirts in the states, even if only mail order rather than in the shops, just make it a bit easier if the items were at a mail order shop in the states so the customer isn't paying massive shipping.

I do think the shipping depends on the country too. Last summer I priced the home shirt to be delivered to a hotel I stayed at in Bangkok. It worked out about £3 more, and the price of the shirt came down too, so overall cost wasn't so bad. Not sure if that's still the same though.

It's a shame, we must have missed out on so much because of this. We should have been selling Everton shirts in the Galaxy club shop when Donovan was here. We should be selling our shirts in the states, even if only mail order rather than in the shops, just make it a bit easier if the items were at a mail order shop in the states so the customer isn't paying massive shipping.

I do think the shipping depends on the country too. Last summer I priced the home shirt to be delivered to a hotel I stayed at in Bangkok. It worked out about £3 more, and the price of the shirt came down too, so overall cost wasn't so bad. Not sure if that's still the same though.

Reminds me that the shop are currently doing free worldwide delivery to celebrate Bob's new contract. Don't know how long it runs for and obviously can't get the new shirt yet but may be useful for some; there's a range of stuff with the (pathetic imo but I'll get used to it) new badge on.

Think Baines has been poor myself, Jags out of his depth,

Hodgson can go along with Lampard, Gerrard, Baines (replace with Shaw), Jags (play Stones), Johnson (anyone is better than him),

Seriously, I would even tell Rooney to sort his head out also. The new England should be built around the likes of Barkley, Sterling, Shaw, every tournament we have some deadwood holding on for just too long.