IGNORED

Everton: Impact players released

Couldn't find a thread though I'm sure there is one out there that addresses the issue. I just cannot believe the number of players we have released or basically sold for nothing that have become good/great players. I have done a lot of digging but just off the top of my head we by far the most of these types of players. Not sure what my point is really, just thought this should be addressed in some way.

John Ruddy

Lukas Jutkiewicz

Dan Gosling

James Baxter

Kieran Agard

Shkodran Mustafi

Hope Akpan

Adam Forshaw

Joao Silva

James Vaughan (actually sold for 2.5m, not bad)

-All of those players are either in the top division of a major league or being monitored by PL clubs, including one who featured for Germany in the WC.

And the following could quickly establish themselves:

Magaye Gueye

Apostolos Vellios

Mason Springthorpe

Jake Bidwell

Erm, hang on...'gone on to be good/great players'? I get full on what you are doing, good idea, but gone that description is wrong. Ha.

Maybe gone on to 'make it' might be better...Ruddy and Mustafi for sure.

Gosling was a flop. Vaughan has done well at a lower level. Baxter did well at an even lower level. Lukas has made a name for himself but again at a lower level.

Other than Ruddy and Mustafi, no one is missed.

Couldn't find a thread though I'm sure there is one out there that addresses the issue. I just cannot believe the number of players we have released or basically sold for nothing that have become good/great players. I have done a lot of digging but just off the top of my head we by far the most of these types of players. Not sure what my point is really, just thought this should be addressed in some way.

John Ruddy

Lukas Jutkiewicz

Dan Gosling

James Baxter

Kieran Agard

Shkodran Mustafi

Hope Akpan

Adam Forshaw

Joao Silva

James Vaughan (actually sold for 2.5m, not bad)

-All of those players are either in the top division of a major league or being monitored by PL clubs, including one who featured for Germany in the WC.

And the following could quickly establish themselves:

Magaye Gueye

Apostolos Vellios

Mason Springthorpe

Jake Bidwell

God there is some proper dross amogst that lot!

Mind you I've not posted for a year, although I am still on the site weekly. This topic just piqued my interest. Of those you have mentioned only one we would really like to have back, Mustafi. Ruddy would see little to no game time with Howard here. Mustafi could be a first team player now, but at the time he left he had featured only once, and had not had any loan moves to really gauge has ability. Plus, he was not going to wait around for Moyes to leave to get a chance. Hopefully we have a sell-on fee because he left at such a young age. Everyone else is basically just not good enough to play for us. Some of those guys have had good years, but good enough for Everton? Doubtful. The only released youngsters I would have back are maybe Forshaw, and eventually Bidwell as squad players, but even then I am unsure they are good enough for us, and if they are not playing much they would have little incentive to return other than love for the club or big wages. As far as letting young players go. The big clubs release scores of players each year. You sometimes know you let one get away(I'm looking at you United with Pogba), but most times you understand that the club has limited finances, and you have to be careful where you spend your money. If you are unsure if a young player is going to make it then you do what makes the most sense financially. With regards to Bidwell. He and Garbutt are the same age, and the club picked Garbutt over him. Bidwell was on the league 1 team of the year, but it was Garbutt who was selected to be a part of the U21 National Team this summer.

I wasn't suggesting that many of those players would be in the first team but for a team that is as financially fragile as we are I hope this trend comes to an end under Roberto.

All summer we have discussed needing 5-8 signings, each of which of course costs us money. IMO Mustafi, Agard, Akpan and Baxter could all contribute, certainly in the Carling Cup and in an injury crisis for an odd PL game or two. That would lower our signing needs to 2-4, which would put our financial situation in a much better position.

The Utd, City, Arsenal, Chelsea's of the world have much larger development teams/budgets so it is natural that some of their players leave for nothing. It just seems like at our "club level" we have lost more useful players than average. I guess all im saying is I hope we are more careful/thoughtful in the future under Roberto.

I wasn't suggesting that many of those players would be in the first team but for a team that is as financially fragile as we are I hope this trend comes to an end under Roberto.

All summer we have discussed needing 5-8 signings, each of which of course costs us money. IMO Mustafi, Agard, Akpan and Baxter could all contribute, certainly in the Carling Cup and in an injury crisis for an odd PL game or two. That would lower our signing needs to 2-4, which would put our financial situation in a much better position.

The Utd, City, Arsenal, Chelsea's of the world have much larger development teams/budgets so it is natural that some of their players leave for nothing. It just seems like at our "club level" we have lost more useful players than average. I guess all im saying is I hope we are more careful/thoughtful in the future under Roberto.

We've got thirty-two senior players at the club as of now, so we already have a deep pool of players who could contribute if needed, and there's nobody on your list (the two obvious ones aside) who could do better than what we already have; so we already have "quantity" at the level of player you're talking about. What we're lacking for next season is a wider pool of quality. Hanging on to any of those mentioned (again Ruddy/Mustafi aside) wouldn't have improved our current position in the slightest I don't think.

I don't thin g there is a single player on the list that is good enough for our starting XI and I would only consider Mustafi and Ruddy good enough to be squad fillers, and even then we are well covered at CB so don't reckon Mustafi would have been worth a place

I think there is a valid point in there though.

At the time of some of these players coming through, we were playing some pretty crap football and on several occasions we were playing other guys out of position just because they were the senior players instead of getting a little competitive game time into them. Baxter is probably the most obvious case of this because he missed out on some key years of first team football (I think it was roughly 3 years between his debut and going on out on loan). A player like Baxter needed that education, just like Barkley did and Im not suggesting he would have ever have made it at Everton but that regular exposure can either speed up his development process and make him into a first team regular or it widens his appeal to other clubs so whilst he might not have made it with Everton we could have got a fee for him and included a massive sell on clause.

As an example, look at Jay Spearing. Very limited player who was still deemed good enough to play half a dozen games for a top 4 side. He never had the match winning potential of Baxter (which generally increases value in a player) but after falling out of the first team picture and going out on loan, eventually sells for around £1.5mil to Bolton(£1.75mil offered by Blackburn). That might not be a lot, but they gave him a chance. It didnt work out and at the end of it all they get a small fee for him. Id imagine by that time that his contract was running down as well.

When you look at some of the players we have had on the books and released on a free and then look at our financial position its very frustrating to think that we didnt make a bit more of our academy.