IGNORED

Corners

Niall

http://www.football365.com/news/tottenham-are-set-piece-kings-everton-fail

Osman said that thing way back. It does not mean the team still doesn't train them.

Unlike Moyes, Martinez seems to be prepared to change things. Tactically, for instance, the team is quite different from two seasons ago.

Well if we are practising them in training and we are still this shite then Im even more concerned!

http://www.football365.com/news/tottenham-are-set-piece-kings-everton-fail

Our shortcoming in taking and defending corners could be that we have amongst the shortest left and right backs in the PL

In open play Coleman closes down crosses wel but Baines and Galloway needs to improve

Deulefeu or Mirallas should deliver our corners and we need more players attacking the ball - not just 1 or 2

• 2 weeks later...

From Tim Cahills autobiography

672c3e4886694bf08ef29c1159bb8d7c.jpg

If only Bobby would spend a few minutes on them!

I also found an interesting biography quote that struck a chord....

"Unintentionally, he created a negative vibe where, with Fergie, it had always been positive," he wrote. "He'd slowly lost us. I didn't enjoy playing under him."

"Sometimes our main tactic was the long, high, diagonal cross. It was embarrassing. In one home game against Fulham we had 81 crosses! I was thinking, why are we doing this? Andy Carroll doesn't play for us!"

I'm not disputing the need to be better from set pieces but it appears there is two extreme philosophies. The Moyes philosophy was dull, the Martinez philosophy is far from that but both frustrating in equal measure.

Our shortcoming in taking and defending corners could be that we have amongst the shortest left and right backs in the PL

In open play Coleman closes down crosses wel but Baines and Galloway needs to improve

Deulefeu or Mirallas should deliver our corners and we need more players attacking the ball - not just 1 or 2

I want to add to that by saying it is just silly to let Baines take corners on the right hand side -

if we lose the ball we are vulnerable to the counter on our right with him totally out of position -

Mirallas used to be one of our better corner takers before he was not allowed to play a full 90 min anymore

Its normal for a left footer to take them from the right, and right footer from the left. Other players should cover for the taker.

from my observation it certainly is not "normal" for a left back to take corners in the far right corner of the pitch -

nullifying his defensive capabilities for all practical purposes

and then expecting a left winger or whatever to transform himself into an effective left back to stop a counter attack

from my observation it certainly is not "normal" for a left back to take corners in the far right corner of the pitch -

nullifying his defensive capabilities for all practical purposes

and then expecting a left winger or whatever to transform himself into an effective left back to stop a counter attack

Then I've no idea what you have been observing mate. Left footers take them on that side of the pitch so the ball can swing around. When 20 players are in the box everyone is out of position.

I'll just assume you've not watched Everton for that long, as Leighton has done this his whole Everton career, and anyone who remembers Andy Hinchcliffe whipping them in from the corner of Gwladys and Bullens will know how effective a left footer from the right can be.

my point is certainly not that left footers should not take corners on the right hand side - i understand why that is done fully

my point is that it should never be the left back no matter what foot he uses - i fail to understand why this is done fully

can you explain why? I really don't understand you objection

I want to add to that by saying it is just silly to let Baines take corners on the right hand side -

if we lose the ball we are vulnerable to the counter on our right with him totally out of position -

Mirallas used to be one of our better corner takers before he was not allowed to play a full 90 min anymore

Prescient.

my point is certainly not that left footers should not take corners on the right hand side - i understand why that is done fully

my point is that it should never be the left back no matter what foot he uses - i fail to understand why this is done fully

Well it just seems to be that our best left footer is Leighton Baines, and when he moves on our best left footer will be Luke Garbutt.

Get used to it.

• 1 month later...

Regarding our corners I'm convinced that we are now working on them and they should get better.

Jags was great pulling the defender away leaving space for Seamus to score.

I'll be honest I just think its a case of better delivery and some simple conversations around movement - nothing that required a masterclass.

Seems to have got better since Mori is about - his movement is very good.

I'll be honest I just think its a case of better delivery and some simple conversations around movement - nothing that required a masterclass.

Seems to have got better since Mori is about - his movement is very good.

They've gotten better since we started letting Cleverley take them and not Baines and Barkley. Cleverley whips his in like they should be. Edited by Romey 1878