IGNORED

Corners

Niall

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/evertons-set-pieces-awful-10408985

Time to revisit this topic. I'm too lazy to check, but how many goals have gone against us from corners/free kicks this season?

Why does Martinez not practice these? That seems pretty ridiculous to me and demonstrates his arrogance/bull-headed attitude like the Howard situation. The bloke truly baffles me sometimes.

We fuckin' suck at these, and they end up costing us points and/or complete matches.

It's already been discussed here - http://www.toffeetalk.com/index.php?/topic/24944-longest-thread-for-everton-discussion/?p=487964

Disturbing.

Three or four years ago I used to feel relieved when we scored from open play as we didn't see creative enough to carve out chances.

Though at the same time we were known for being dangerous at set pieces.

What we needed at that time was to add open play goals to our game. But not at the expense of our deadly set plays.

We need a mix of both to make teams really fear us.

Edited by Shukes

12189130_1090773307601766_81102445840017

Good? Or Bad?

Discuss.

Bad.

Only expect 2 or 3 direct freekicks to go in, but we should be looking at double figures in total from set-pieces. Since Lescott left we've been terrible from them to the point I was pissed off Jags and Distin plodded up the pitch. Arteta and Baines corners leave a lot of questions, not quite Phil Neville floaters bad, but still nowhere good enough. Garbutt's delivery was refreshing, and Deulofeu's can be next level, but we seem to always play it safe.

That said I find it more worrying that we concede so many.

Following a few (non televised) games on BBC live text, if Everton get a corner it is guaranteed that the next entry (only 1 minute later) will be a corner to the opposition or a shot on Everton's goal. This happens nearly every time and emphasises the fact that we just don't exert any pressure from set pieces. Usually, a corner hits the first defender and the opposition get possession and hit us on the break.

terrible. first off on corners we need to practice them and actually take them seriously. second off we need baines back on set piece duty to bend them in. barkley and lukaku are great and all, but they can't put it in like baines does.

The same Baines who had been taking terrible corners and hitting the first man himself?

It's all about delivery and the ability of players who are attacking the ball. Our side doesn't have many players good in the air. Practising set pieces is all good and well but we don't have Cahill or Fellaini anymore.

Mori and stones have some leap on them. Other than that - Rom and Kone. Rom isn't great from a standing jump, his running leap isn't bad.

Rom's headed goal against the shite in his loan season was thunderous. Wish he could do that more often.

brilliant delivery too, just in front of him. He's as lethal in the air as he is on the ground given the right service. Just a lot harder to make something out of nothing in the air Edited by Matt

In the England game against Spain tonight, in the second-half, Barkley took a free kick on the right, about 20 yards outside the penalty area. He hit the first defender.

He actually hit the first defender in the penalty area, the two who were stood outside he managed to get it past. Progress :unsure:?

In the England game against Spain tonight, in the second-half, Barkley took a free kick on the right, about 20 yards outside the penalty area. He hit the first defender.

He actually hit the first defender in the penalty area, the two who were stood outside he managed to get it past. Progress :unsure:?

I really wish he'd get off set-pieces for us. Let Geri have a go at free-kicks and corners for a bit.

• 1 month later...

Our defense is crap at defending crosses at all. Corners or otherwise. Who doesn't get worried when the opponent pumps high balls into our box? There's never any conviction in winning the cross, and even when it happens, invariably the clearance is shite.

Agreed. Baines in particular has never done enough to prevent crosses coming in as well. It's something our full-backs should have learnt by now.