IGNORED

Kopite Thread

Where is Villas Boas on that list Kane? His name has been popped around a few times so I'd expect his odds are quite low for an Anfield stint. For me you can discount Mourinho, Moyes and Hodgson. Those three are not going to end up in charge of Liverpool, nor is Capello because I think he's still pissed at the FA for what they did to him with the whole John Terry thing.

I've said it once and I'll say it again, bet you're bottom dollar that it will be Martinez. They're already in talks with him so what more of a pointer do you want?

Guest Nikica

Dalglish is the most legendary player in their histroy, and did well in his first spell as manager. I also have respect for him over how he handled the Hillsborough tragedy.

However, he seems to me to be lost in modern football. I don't mind the guy, I still think he's a Rangers man at heart despite playing for 'them', but he really did need to go. I couldn't see them progressing as a club with him at the helm.

If he was the man behind their transfers last season then it's baffling. For the money that was spent they could have found about five bargain players from Europe or South America with serious world-class potential. Instead they buy Adam, Carroll, Henderson and Stewart fucking Downing.

If he was the man behind their transfers last season then it's baffling. For the money that was spent they could have found about five bargain players from Europe or South America with serious world-class potential. Instead they buy Adam, Carroll, Henderson and Stewart fucking Downing.

As an Evertonian, I find it hard to accept Carrolls name amongst those as usless signings!

He scored the friggin goal that knocked us out of the FA cup, sure they lost in th final, but a goal that gets his team to a cup final is probably worth £1 million.Seen all round the world in a an FA cup final !

That goal alone goes along way towards paying off that massive £15 million pounds they paid for him.

probs wouldn't be far off thinkin about it...even with the 15m felli

Howard - £3m

Hibbo - free

Baines £5m

Jags - £5m

Heit - £6m

Ossie - free

Neville - £3m

Gibbo - £500k

Cahill - £2.5m

Felli - £15m

Jela - £5m

£45m by my reckoning... no wonder they finished much higher than us being able to spend that kind of money on 1 player... oh wait!

I would particularly dislike Mourinho to even have that job opportunity, that guy is unique and fun and I don't have a bad word to say about him and I would be genuinely downbeat if he did by some wonder end up at Anfield this close season. I don't think De Boer is the right man for that either, people can laugh but they had an escape with that, Rykjaard would have been much better suited anyway.

Houllier is still out of work so a return there is still open, but it seems very unlikely especially with the recent health issues but stranger things have happened. I'd (maybe) like Cuntello to have a go just so I can dislike him and LFC as a whole that little bit more, and I think by god, that just could happen before the summer is out. Hasn't nobody mentioned Keegan, he's not involved these days is he?, and another ex club favorite in charge for them, I mean that's always an option etc.

I would particularly dislike Mourinho to even have that job opportunity, that guy is unique and fun and I don't have a bad word to say about him....

How does that fit in with your rabid hatred of Chelsea? Did you feel the same when he was there?

Some are saying "What kind of player can the new manager attract ?"....well I'd say bloody greedy ones who don't really give a shit about the club!

Any manager they employ will be given big money to appease the fans for getting rid of ' the king '.The owners will pray he spends it more wisely than Dalglish.

Gerrard and Carrigher are nearing the end, Reinas form is poor, a couple of thier better players want to leave, they do though still have the four players Dalglish spent £100 million on............awkwarddoh.gif

Some are saying "What kind of player can the new manager attract ?"....well I'd say bloody greedy ones who don't really give a shit about the club!

Any manager they employ will be given big money to appease the fans for getting rid of ' the king '.The owners will pray he spends it more wisely than Dalglish.

Gerrard and Carrigher are nearing the end, Reinas form is poor, a couple of thier better players want to leave, they do though still have the four players Dalglish spent £100 million on............awkwarddoh.gif

thought 30m had been quoted as the spending limit?

It's going to be Martinez. He's flown out to Boston to speak with the club owners, I'm sure within the next couple of days we will see that Roberto is the new 'King' around Anfield.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/252580/Roberto-Martinez-flys-to-Boston-for-Liverpool-talks/

ROBERTO MARTINEZ is favourite for the Liverpool job after agreeing to fly to Boston for talks. The Wigan manager will meet Reds chairman Tom Werner and Ed Weiss, adviser to the club’s owners Fenway Sports Group, as they step us their search for Kenny Dalglish’s successor

Rey Martinez?, no just doesn't sound fine or anything, are they trying to emulate Benitez, i.e. a Spanish appointment and the name sounds a bit like Benitez, especially at the end, maybe they thought that way, there could be a return to Champions League Finals and all, but it's simply isn't going to happen with this individual if they can get him. Recent Anfield appointments have been pretty dire, Dalglish, Hodgson etc, even Benitez was never able to deliver the holy grail of the league championship, 22 years now and it could be some wait until they see that again, they have been a cup side for as long as most can remember and that will continue for some years yet, here and there. They could bring in Martinez or Martine McCutcheon, it won't make much difference as the league is simply not a viable achievement anymore. I hope Martinez wishes he had stayed where he is and remained loyal when they go another few years without much done at all if he takes charge.

http://sport.uk.msn....8c819f5&_nwpt=1

Why would anyone want to manage Liverpool?

The high number of candidates to manage at Anfield proves they aren't what they once were

A mate sent me a text message the other day: “to save on costs Liverpool FC have scrapped their own TV channel and merged it with the History Channel.” It wasn’t necessarily the funniest text ever, but it was succinct and to the point – and probably not a million miles away from reflecting the truth.

If you look at the last 50 years, rather than just the Premier League era, it’s not hard to argue that they’re the most successful English club globally – and they’ve certainly suffered enough tragedy to rock them to their Anfield foundations.

But Liverpool is a club stuck between the glorious achievements of their past and the fear of their future. They can’t let the former go and they find it tough to face up to what could be on the horizon.

"Roberto Martinez will still not be best pleased at being thrown in the mix with all manner of mercenaries"

Their fans sing more about Steve Heighway and Bill Shankly than they do any of their modern day charges, and it’s hard to imagine Roy Hodgson would have been tolerated for an eighth place Premier League finish below Everton in the same way King Kenny was, with or without the token of the Carling Cup.

Brendan Rogers, brave and clever enough to reject a short term windfall at Chelsea, has also declined this so-called step up, and Roberto Martinez, who admittedly has served a longer apprenticeship than Rodgers, will still not be best pleased at being thrown in the mix with all manner of mercenaries although could still find the prospect too appealing to reject.

The fact that some bookmakers have priced over 50 candidates for the job shows the problem Liverpool have. When Alex Ferguson and Arsene Wenger call it a day will there be that many names linked with their roles?

Liverpool are "scattergunning their way through the LMA’s contacts directory"

No, there’ll be two or three stand out candidates and their boards will know who to move on and in which order, rather than scattergunning their way through the LMA’s contacts directory.

Liverpool’s creaking Anfield holds memories but no future for them. Spurs have a new project underway and Chelsea have gone public on Battersea Power Station.

Theoretically within a decade Liverpool could find themselves not only mid-table in the football table, but also the capacities table.

You can’t throw history books at the stars of the European stage or the boardrooms of the multinationals that love to be associated with the biggest clubs and expect them to come running.

You can respectfully thumb your way through the glossy pictures of trophies being held aloft, but it’s the blank page that sits in front of Liverpool at the moment that’s in need of the right words.

Edited by tenaciousj

Guest Nikica

Howard - £3m

Hibbo - free

Baines £5m

Jags - £5m

Heit - £6m

Ossie - free

Neville - £3m

Gibbo - £500k

Cahill - £2.5m

Felli - £15m

Jela - £5m

£45m by my reckoning... no wonder they finished much higher than us being able to spend that kind of money on 1 player... oh wait!

While I agree with the sentiment (that Liverpool's spending money on shite is hilarious), you would have to adjust some of the older fees in there for inflation. Although, given there's not any big transfers fees there, it wouldn't make too much of a difference.

I would particularly dislike Mourinho to even have that job opportunity, that guy is unique and fun and I don't have a bad word to say about him and I would be genuinely downbeat if he did by some wonder end up at Anfield this close season. I don't think De Boer is the right man for that either, people can laugh but they had an escape with that, Rykjaard would have been much better suited anyway.

Houllier is still out of work so a return there is still open, but it seems very unlikely especially with the recent health issues but stranger things have happened. I'd (maybe) like Cuntello to have a go just so I can dislike him and LFC as a whole that little bit more, and I think by god, that just could happen before the summer is out. Hasn't nobody mentioned Keegan, he's not involved these days is he?, and another ex club favorite in charge for them, I mean that's always an option etc.

Mourinho is a classless bellend but a top manager. There's still question marks over his ability to take control of a team long-term though, and his ability to work without funds. The latter won't ever matter as he only takes jobs where money is available.

As an Evertonian, I find it hard to accept Carrolls name amongst those as usless signings!

He scored the friggin goal that knocked us out of the FA cup, sure they lost in th final, but a goal that gets his team to a cup final is probably worth £1 million.Seen all round the world in a an FA cup final !

That goal alone goes along way towards paying off that massive £15 million pounds they paid for him.

As people have said, it was £35 million. I do agree that he's looked decent in the last few games, and he does show flashes of being good on the ground, but the fact remains that Liverpool could have bought infinitely better than him for what they paid (Falcao for instance). They could also have scouted some unknown gems from South America or Europe, as I said before.

I suppose the issue there is would Falcao want more in wages than Carroll? Wages are a big part of transfers as well.

Guest Nikica

how much money did he have at porto?

People always talk about Porto, but that was the exception to the rule. In truth, Porto (and to a lesser extent Benfica and Sporting, who have faded in the last twenty years) are now by far the major power in Portugal. His CL run though is something you cannot discount, but I still think that team got pretty lucky. Deco was immense, and they had other quality players, but they had decisions go against their way against United in one of the rounds. That Porto team is also one of the most cynical, cheating teams of the past twenty years. Ask Celtic.

Mourinho is an excellent manager, there's no dispute over that really. However, if you look at his jobs closely (Chelsea, Inter, Real Madrid), you will see that certain favourable circumstances have aided his success. But to use that to denigrate him as a manager would be harsh. However, it's still true that a lot has gone his way.

Edited by Nikica

people just say mourinho always got money...i couldn't see porto spending that much and yet he won the champions league with them...did he spend all that much at inter? i'm sure they got a lot of money in also..and yet he won a treble there? you can't say he has always had money and claim his first major success is an exception to a rule..it's what earned him his chance to spend big as people say