IGNORED

WBA (A)

chicagoblue

Never watched any of it to be honest. Gave up trying to find a stream that would run on my ipad. But regardless of the performance, it was a win and a clean sheet, Lukaku got off the mark as well so loads of plusses to take from that result. Follow it up with a win Thursday and Sunday and we'll be back on track.

Well done blues, as I say I never saw the performance but first win , first clean sheet and an away win to boot.

Happy tonight.

How did jags and stones play together? Did they control the back better?

I would say that they grew throughout the match. They initially were a bit shaky and were having some trouble clearing ball but most of the 2nd half was pretty calm. I would say that Jags especially improved as the match went on, for the most part. There were a couple of times in the 2nd that he had problems heading the ball but he did put in some fine tackles.

Agree with this. Both started very shaky and looked like they lacked confidence. However, im the 2nd half especially both grew into the game and were very solid. Stones reminded me of the form he showed at the end of last season in the 2nd half. Read the game well, few excellent tackles and interceptions and very composed on the ball. Looks much more comfortable as a CB as well. Don't want England playing him as a RB.

Edited by Geth

All in all a good result, but I fear we would have lost against a better side. For the last 15 mins we sat back as usual and let them into the game. Coleman especially let the left wide open and W.Brom should have taken advantage....and they did. It was only their inept finishing that saved us really. Mirallas didn't track back which was the start of the problem, we just made it easier for them by standing off 5 yards or more and giving them the opportunity to cross. FFS I was coaching 10 year olds not to do that. It happened so many times I thought it was part of the match plan in latter part of the game!

2-0 was a fair result on the day, but we have a shit-load of work to do yet in defence and tracking back. Glad to see McGeady has heeded the message in that respect, leaves Mirallas really I guess!

Edited by Oztoffee

All in all a good result, but I fear we would have lost against a better side. For the last 15 mins we sat back as usual and let them into the game. Coleman especially let the left wide open and W.Brom should have taken advantage....and they did. It was only their inept finishing that saved us really. Mirallas didn't track back which was the start of the problem, we just made it easier for them by standing off 5 yards or more and giving them the opportunity to cross. FFS I was coaching 10 year olds not to do that. It happened so many times I thought it was part of the match plan in latter part of the game!

2-0 was a fair result on the day, but we have a shit-load of work to do yet in defence and tracking back. Glad to see McGeady has heeded the message in that respect, leaves Mirallas really I guess!

Cotto will be coming after you!!!,

Spot on re Mirallas. It happened again and again. Such a great talent, yet so frustrating.

Cotto will be coming after you!!!,

Me too, I expect. I really want to be positive about Mirallas, but he makes it difficult sometimes.

I've said all a long this season that the wide players aren't tracking back. For me this has nothing to do with the willingness of the players.

Like Duncan suggests and I whole heartedly agree. This is Martinez telling them not to. It's very evident this season that the wide players are being told to stay forward. Of course it's in a players nature to drop back from time to time.

Mirallas has been great btw.

I've said all a long this season that the wide players aren't tracking back. For me this has nothing to do with the willingness of the players.

Like Duncan suggests and I whole heartedly agree. This is Martinez telling them not to. It's very evident this season that the wide players are being told to stay forward. Of course it's in a players nature to drop back from time to time.

Mirallas has been great btw.

Have to agree. I'd like to think if Martinez asks the wide men to drop back and they don't, then he would drop them for the next match.

...this is going to be a good season for Mirallas.

I havent seen the game but from what I have seen of Martinez with Wigan and with us, its that he does like to leave a winger forward in certain games in order to expose them directly against the opposition full back. McCarthy should then be covering the right hand channel with the wide left player tucking in and the striker helping out every now and then. It was most noticeable against Arsenal when we use Lukaku as the wide player we have done it with Mirallas and especially Deaulofeu quite a bit.

It was only last season that Mcgeady came out in an interview and said Martinez had told him not to track back because he wanted him for counter attacks. Mcgeady even said he found it strange and felt like he was being lazy at times.

You watch the FA Cup final City v Wigan. Wide players were doing exactly what our have been doing. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.