IGNORED

Wingers

Our wingers have been the weakest part of the team this season for me. In January or the offseason we need to offload some and sign some quality wingers to start and for the bench.

Mirallas - quality, the only true winger who attacks and brings pace and something creative.

Pienaar - I used to stick up for him a lot, but Hes well past it now. Also I think he did so well with the Moyes teams because the direct hoofball was opposite from his link up left side creativity. He offered something different. Now that we play out the back and build up and pass, he offers what the rest of the team is doing and so it's nothing special now.

McGeady - too inconsistent, could be the other starting winger if he could let Coleman run the flank, learn to pass better, and not lose the ball all the time.

Naisy - not a winger, a number 9 and I just can't stand seeing him out there on the wing any more.

Atsu - apparently not good enough, not sure why he doesn't get a punt when everyone else is so dire.

Oviedo - injured but maybe he will give us something, I'm holding out hope.

Eto'o - can play on the wing and is decent but he's best as a 9 or 10.

Osman - not really a winger either, better in the center, old, squad player.

We need to sign or loan someone. Gerard was great last year on the bench or starting.

Agree with much of what you say.

McGeady was quite dangerous yesterday I thought. Don't understand why he went off to be replaced by Pienaar who did practically nothing, indeed spent a lot of time back-passing. He certainly hasn't recovered the form he had before he went to White Hart Lane and his injury has made him an average Championship player at best.

Guest millwallforever

Looks like Deulofeu is beginning to shine at Sevilla; Atletico are keen on signing him. So I guess we can rule him out, but I would love to have him back on a permanent basis.

Or maye he wants to come back?

http://www.sport24.co.za/Soccer/EnglishPremiership/Deulofeu-hails-Everton-support-20141013

Edited by millwallforever

Guest millwallforever

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be. How many people were slating Deulofeu when he we playing last season? Now, based on this thread, you'd think he's the bee's knees. He was good and showed a lot of promise, but he's not the long-term winger the team needs right now.

He was frustrating at times, but arguably our most creative winger. He was/is special. I would gladly pay £15.000.000 for him.

Edited by millwallforever

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be. How many people were slating Deulofeu when he we playing last season? Now, based on this thread, you'd think he's the bee's knees. He was good and showed a lot of promise, but he's not the long-term winger the team needs right now.

There's a couple of people saying we miss Deulofeu. I'm one of them. I'm also one who thought he was great for us and I said we need to replace him. We never did and part of our problem this season is having weak players out wide.

Anyone who slated him is clueless. Much better than McGeady, Atsu and Pienaar (age and fitness with the latter)

I think if Gerry was with us still this season we would have seen a much better version.

Last season he looked ace at times, at others not so much. He was as erratic as you would expect these creative wingers to be at a young age.

If Bobby thinks we need another winger, he'll get one. But he clearly put all his pocket money into Lukaku. Getting a good quality winger would have cost more than he had left to play with.

I think we are yet to see the best of McGeady. Pienaar is maybe too slow to be an out and out winger now. And Atsu...well, he needs to show more.

I think people seem to forget the games that we carried Delefao. When everything he tried didn't work and he refused to track back.

Yes he could win games for us in an instance but he was also a liability in others. I don't think he's been the difference this season, I think we just arse about trying to score the perfect goal instead of just scoring a goal.

I think people seem to forget the games that we carried Delefao. When everything he tried didn't work and he refused to track back.

Yes he could win games for us in an instance but he was also a liability in others. I don't think he's been the difference this season, I think we just arse about trying to score the perfect goal instead of just scoring a goal.

No-ones said hes been the difference but we'd have certainly been a stronger side going forward with him and IMO better off. The guy who's replaced him has seen very little and when he has he's been poor.

No-ones said hes been the difference but we'd have certainly been a stronger side going forward with him and IMO better off. The guy who's replaced him has seen very little and when he has he's been poor.

To be fair, we didn't see a lot of game time for GD at the beginning; on the other hand, he looked better than Atsu when he was actually in.

Hope he comes good.

I'd like Dyer at Swansea or Townsend at Spurs think both would come and fit in straight away. Both would improve current options.

I've also been impressed with Mahrez at Leicester (less so with Knockhart - who I've liked over the last 2 years). Also Vargas looks really good at QPR.

I think a winger must be a priority in Jan (maybe CB too) because Pienaar isn't going to play every game and is on the decline and we look a lot weaker without Mirallas. I think McGeady is too hit and miss to ever be deemed as 1st choice.

I don't think the wingers are our problem at all.

The problem is that we are playing sideways and not into channels.

We keep talking about playing to players strengths but then expect our wingers to play in the centre.

When we do play on the wings it is usually because we have brought our full backs I to play and very rarely is it a ball played form the centre circle into the channel for our wingers to run into the path and bomb forward.

People have mentioned several times that RM likes to keep his wingers pushed forward, this restricts their opportunity to run at players while breaking.

I'd like Dyer at Swansea or Townsend at Spurs think both would come and fit in straight away. Both would improve current options.

I've also been impressed with Mahrez at Leicester (less so with Knockhart - who I've liked over the last 2 years). Also Vargas looks really good at QPR.

I think a winger must be a priority in Jan (maybe CB too) because Pienaar isn't going to play every game and is on the decline and we look a lot weaker without Mirallas. I think McGeady is too hit and miss to ever be deemed as 1st choice.

Pretty much my thoughts and I'd have any of those you mentioned here

Injuries have obviously played a huge part as I'm not sure McGeady would have started many games if Oviedo hadn't been injured both him and Mirallas on either side would have been great for me

One problem for me is that all our wingers or wide forwards or whatever you want to call them are right footed barring Atsu who seems to be deemed not good enough. Someone left footed of a similar quality to Mirallas would add a whole other dimension to the team. Bobby seems to like his forwards to rotate position but I think this tactic would be made more effective with a left footer and a right footer on the wings (possibly what drove him to play likely on the wing). Having 2 inside forwards would also provide more space for the fullbacks to exploit and imo we have the best 2 in the league. Just to throw a name in the hat Yarmalenko is apparently in the last year of his contract, he would be perfect but may have his sights set a little higher.

One problem for me is that all our wingers or wide forwards or whatever you want to call them are right footed barring Atsu who seems to be deemed not good enough. Someone left footed of a similar quality to Mirallas would add a whole other dimension to the team. Bobby seems to like his forwards to rotate position but I think this tactic would be made more effective with a left footer and a right footer on the wings (possibly what drove him to play likely on the wing). Having 2 inside forwards would also provide more space for the fullbacks to exploit and imo we have the best 2 in the league. Just to throw a name in the hat Yarmalenko is apparently in the last year of his contract, he would be perfect but may have his sights set a little higher.

Tadic would have been ideal.

exactly, that's my main point with this thread. With Mirallas the other midfield/wing spot doesn't look as bad with a cast of characters rotating there. but without mirallas, it's that cast between 2 spots and it isn't working for me. We have 4 ACM players Barkley, Niasy, Osman, and Eto'o that it is their best position. Too many in my opinion. DCM we are fine, CB we are fine (have browning and pennington), even fullbacks we look alright. it's the wing that needs straightening out.

When Baines and Coleman are 'flying' we don't need wingers.

But imagine 2 Mirallas class wingers on their 'opposite' wings (right footer on left and visa versa). We'd have Baines and Coleman crossing in on the overlap and our wingers being able to take the game inside to shoot or bring a lurking Barkley into play. We could become unplayable.

It amazes me whenever watching Mirallas that one of the bigger clubs havnt snapped him up. I get excited everytime he gets the ball. I honestly think he doesn't get the credit that he's due at everton.

We must cherish players like this and not take them for granted.

Get him on a new contract asap. After waching him from hid first game, I can safely say he's never been fazed by any team and always has the better if the bigger clubs. Sheer arrogance. Reminds me of hazard, attitude wise.

It amazes me whenever watching Mirallas that one of the bigger clubs havnt snapped him up. I get excited everytime he gets the ball. I honestly think he doesn't get the credit that he's due at everton.

We must cherish players like this and not take them for granted.

Get him on a new contract asap. After waching him from hid first game, I can safely say he's never been fazed by any team and always has the better if the bigger clubs. Sheer arrogance. Reminds me of hazard, attitude wise.

He's too greedy though mate, makes the wrong decisions. :/

But imagine 2 Mirallas class wingers on their 'opposite' wings (right footer on left and visa versa). We'd have Baines and Coleman crossing in on the overlap and our wingers being able to take the game inside to shoot or bring a lurking Barkley into play. We could become unplayable.

music to my ears. yes this is what i want.