IGNORED

American Idiots

Sibdane

There seems to be quite a few underhanded comments -- and some more obvious -- about Americans and a lack of football knowledge. I've been on this forum since summer of 2011 and have never noticed this before, so I can only attribute this to the recent influx of American members.

So here it is: a thread dedicated to hating on your friends across the pond.

A forum is a place where people come together to share opinions and discuss similar interests. Ideally, personal perceptions of others or groups are kept to oneself so that the focus of discussion is purely based on the purpose of this forum.

Use this thread to make yourselves feel better (you know who you are). [emoji6]

Minority view.

It's good that newbies from across the pond take an interest in Everton. Even if it can sometimes seem like it's for random reasons.

Not a fan of America in a world 'political' kind of way. But that's nothing to do with normal individuals like us.

I don't think it hasn't anything to do with anyone being idiots. I honestly don't believe anyone here is one, it's just different opinions and people have them. It's a forum without different ones it wouldn't work.

If you want honesty, what pisses me off about some (i want to point out right now not all) Americans is when they quote my posts and insinuate I don't support my team properly. Call members of the board fickle oraccuse them of not being positive. It's those type of posts that annoy me I find them disrespectful and patronising, especially when it's usually written just after "I decided to start supporting Everton properly in (insert recent year) then have the brass balls to tell me how to support my team.

Me persnally wouldn't dare question fans who have follwed a team virtually all their lives, I find it really offensive but maybe that's just me.

I love the fact we have fans around the world and I embrace any race, nation or culture who supports us. An Evertonian is an Evertonian in my eyes .

That's my opinion Tonka. You wanted honestly in this I hope so I'm just being honest with you mate.

You know, as I write that before, I was thinking that I don't like our own politics here...or any of the Western Developed World ways.

I'm not a fan of our politics or the two-party system here. I think that a lot of the "smaller" voices get left out. I think you'll find that this is common among the lot of us! Edited by TonkaRoost

As an American, fresh to the EPL fan base, and to Everton, and to this forum... I hear ya. But some of us are good, well-meaning folks.

For better or worse, I read this book:

519DSVMPGKL.jpg

(rough guide to English football, if the link is bad)

Yeah, it's a few years old, but it was entertaining as heck.

From that, I narrowed it down to Everton and Liverpool.

The Mother Noblett / Bushnell legend won me over. (And honestly, though it seems silly in retrospect, Tim Howard's presence didn't hurt.)

I have a lot to learn.

I can understand this thread. There have been an increasing number of snide comments made of late.

It reminds me of when I stayed at my cousin's house in Cornwall - one of our trips back from the US. The then-mayor lived next door. When he heard my children's accent, he huffed and puffed about "bloody Americans" and why he didn't want any visiting his town. Cornwall relies on the tourist trade, and that idiot was doing his best to wreck it! (I took great pleasure in pointing out that I was much more Cornish than he was!) Similarly, Everton is attracting more American followers, especially because of Tim Howard, and that's a good thing. Teams with a large US following can expect to snag some excellent marketing contracts. When such fans join this forum, it's simply stupid to treat them as idiots.

Sorry for the blunt comment, but it needs to be said.

Edited by Cornish Steve

I can understand this thread. There have been an increasing number of snide comments made of late.

It reminds me of when I stayed at my cousin's house in Cornwall - one of our trips back from the US. The then-mayor lived next door. When he heard my children's accent, he huffed and puffed about "bloody Americans" and why he didn't want any visiting his town. Cornwall relies on the tourist trade, and that idiot was doing his best to wreck it! (I took great pleasure in pointing out that I was much more Cornish than he was!) Similarly, Everton is attracting more American followers, especially because of Tim Howard, and that's a good thing. Teams with a large US following can expect to snag some excellent marketing contracts. When such fans join this forum, it's simply stupid to treat them as idiots.

Sorry for the blunt comment, but it needs to be said.

Spoken like a true honorary American idiot :lol:.

Incidentally the above ^^ is the only time it's appropriate to remove the "u" :Grammar Police:.

Guest millwallforever

Well, my bird is American, and the most idealistic guy I ever met, a Methodist pastor, was an American. I have no problems with the Yanks on a personal level. My beef is purely ideological. I have had the opportunity to visit the US on several occasions, but I have always said no. Reason: frisk me at the airport and your nose shall be pulverised by my kneecap. Touch me and die; it is really that simple.

As an American, fresh to the EPL fan base, and to Everton, and to this forum... I hear ya. But some of us are good, well-meaning folks.

For better or worse, I read this book:

519DSVMPGKL.jpg

(rough guide to English football, if the link is bad)

Yeah, it's a few years old, but it was entertaining as heck.

From that, I narrowed it down to Everton and Liverpool.

The Mother Noblett / Bushnell legend won me over. (And honestly, though it seems silly in retrospect, Tim Howard's presence didn't hurt.)

I have a lot to learn.

Just googled this as I was unsure what this was. Never realised there was a 'toffee war' after Everton moved grounds. The article I read finished with this

And now for something completely different, to complete Everton’s wonderful story. The word Everton is derived from the Anglo-Saxon word Eofor. Eoformeans “wild boar that lives in forests”. This means, of course, that Everton was once a jungle with wild animals running all over the place. Ton is Anglo-Saxon for hill or farm, so Everton may have originally been a pig-farm on the hill……..”

As an American idiot football fan, the biggest piece of idiocy among American fans is the persistent belief that Jozy Altidore is any good. He just isn't--can't score. (Watching this Sunderland-WHU match; he missed an easy opportunity cause he couldn't get his feet set.)

In all seriousness though, I started following the Everton last season and began seriously following this season. I almost surely ask idiotic questions and make stupid statements. It's part of learning. Everton binds us though, and I won't stop supporting Everton!

As an American idiot football fan, the biggest piece of idiocy among American fans is the persistent belief that Jozy Altidore is any good. He just isn't--can't score. (Watching this Sunderland-WHU match; he missed an easy opportunity cause he couldn't get his feet set.)

In all seriousness though, I started following the Everton last season and began seriously following this season. I almost surely ask idiotic questions and make stupid statements. It's part of learning. Everton binds us though, and I won't stop supporting Everton!

you're not alone keith i'm not his biggest fan either. a lot of the americans on here call me a euro slut or whatever since i prefer USA nationals that ply their trade in Europe (i have little love for MLS), but I would rather see Terrance Boyd (he's injured now, so not for a while) when fit than Altidore. Same build, similar player, but Boyd tore up the Austrian Bundesliga and played well in the Europa Leage for Rapid Vienna. He was the marquee signing for RB Leipzig the Bundesliga 2 side this year and first game back from injury scored. I bang on about him a lot but I really like his play and would've loved him at the WC instead of Johannsson.

Edited by markjazzbassist

Way to go Keith......the last six words of your post are enough!

In the Sunderland v West Ham game yesterday, Altidore had a completely open goal, goalkeeper not at home, and he missed the ball completely. Poyet, his manager, said 'I watched the replay as I don't know what happened, having watched the replay I still don't know what happened'.