IGNORED

West Ham (FA Cup)

markjazzbassist

matt i don't know what you're talking about, barkley was excellent today. some of those runs were amazing, and who else was driving the ball forward besides lukaku?

great match, wished we could've put that last corner in to win, but i'll take the draw and replay, we're still alive in the FA cup. hopefully this has turned the tide for the lads, we spent the majority of the match in their third attacking, so let's hope we get back to that against man city.

only aaw the second half, and what I saw it was the usual "highlights" runs with no end product and too much faffing on the bal, and slowing possesion if not losing it.

Not all his fault, his manager is very much to blame for his form; not worried about mistakes, playing out wide. Play him properly and we will see the player we know is in there. Continue like this and we will end up stunting his growth

Well deserved goal from Rom there. We played well in the first half and about 10 minutes after they got their goal but this whole not showing much fight mentality needs to go. Roberto also celebrated that goal a bit like a crazy man haha. Hopefully this is the moment that gives us a chance against City... hopefully

I'll give Rom motm. If I see anything less than that effort he showed tonight I will explode. Massive difference a bit of aggression and workrate.

its performances like that that reinforce my belief in him. Been a long time coming unfortunately, hope he continues to give it the beans :)

only aaw the second half, and what I saw it was the usual "highlights" runs with no end product and too much faffing on the bal, and slowing possesion if not losing it.

Not all his fault, his manager is very much to blame for his form; not worried about mistakes, playing out wide. Play him properly and we will see the player we know is in there. Continue like this and we will end up stunting his growth

yeah he started out wide, but he was in the middle all night, first half he was excellent, second half he was still good. yes those runs are amazing! sure they don't have end product now, but he's 21. 90% of the premier league can't do that in their best form, and he can. he had a couple really great passes in the first half that would have been assists if Rom and Seamus had connected.

Guest rusty747

Still lots to put right but I hope this marks the turning of the corner. I would take a point and a good performance against Man City at the weekend right now.

Edited by rusty747

On the whole Barkley out wide comments I think it's only because we don't have better options.

I would have him ahead of McGeady or one of the FB'S and he will be expected to play in that Pienaar style role whereby he is mainly cutting inside anyway.

He is clearly better centrally and will cock up out wide but it is probably worth getting Naismiths work rate and tenacity in the middle at the moment until we are firing again. If you need more width then you at least have the option of throwing McGeady on and subbing one of those two off.

yeah he started out wide, but he was in the middle all night, first half he was excellent, second half he was still good. yes those runs are amazing! sure they don't have end product now, but he's 21. 90% of the premier league can't do that in their best form, and he can. he had a couple really great passes in the first half that would have been assists if Rom and Seamus had connected.

not doubting his potential mate, just getting fed up with his showboating with no end product.

I hate this "I don't mind him making mistakes", "he's a footballing diamond". He has no pressure to learn from his mistakes and he's not learning. That's probably the most annoying thing - he knows he's a starter

Quick mention to Joel who kept us in the game. Can't blame him for the first but he made a vital save which BT sport quickly glossed over

Im

I've got to agree with James.... Jagielka and Lukaku's body language was those of unhappy players. I don't want to be negative tonight because I'm happy we got a draw but the dressing room seems to be down on moral!

I haven't seen the game so can't comment on the interview but the comments on here and what I heard over the radio of the first half, the last 10 and also Roms overall performance don't suggest to me that the dressing room is in to bad a place. Yes confidence is low, which is understandable but players that aren't happy don't put in one of their best performances and the teams don't keep pushing until the last minute.

Obviously don't know what the Jags interview was about but by the sounds of it he was pretty useless so may be more to do with his own game than anything else.

some of his turns today were fantastic, best we've seen from him for a while

Im not denying he had amazing turns, imI'm just saying they still looked laboured and at his pace. What iI think imI'm trying to say is if he turns at this pace and gets past his player it looks really good but if he gets the ball taken off him he looks off the pace. If he always shields the ball though with his strength then he'll be fine.

Just think he looks awkward sometimes.

Im not denying he had amazing turns, imI'm just saying they still looked laboured and at his pace. What iI think imI'm trying to say is if he turns at this pace and gets past his player it looks really good but if he gets the ball taken off him he looks off the pace. If he always shields the ball though with his strength then he'll be fine.

Just think he looks awkward sometimes.

fair enough. I'd put the awkwardness down to exhaustion after that shift :)

Guest rusty747

It sounds daft I know but Barkley carries more attacking threat when he plays defensive mid with Besic or McCarthy. He can make those surging runs from deep which, if properly supported by wingers and strikers, will open up all sorts of options. Ross can go straight for the jugular or he can help set up camp on the edge of the opposition penalty box or play someone else in as defenders try to double and triple team him. If he can add defensive discipline and knowing when to pass, shoot or check back to his game then he can be the world beater we all hoped for.

Edited by rusty747

It sounds daft I know but Barkley carries more attacking threat when he plays defensive mid with Besic or McCarthy. He can make those surging runs from deep which, if properly supported by wingers and strikers, will open up all sorts of options. Ross can go straight for the jugular or he can help set up camp on the edge of the opposition penalty box or play someone else in as defenders try to double and triple team him. If he can add defensive discipline and knowing when to pass, sshoot or check back to his game then he can be the world beater we all hoped for.

Always said this rust, if he plays deep he can see widescreen what's in front of him and he gets is fifty yards up field in an instance. It's like god tested the lad, gave him world class feet but installed blinkers at the same time. Now get to bed!!!!

It's easy to get Barkley moving.

Instruct his teammates to play the ball into him sloppily, he will then stretch and get a toe onto it to knock it oast the player and will need to use his momentum to catch it the other side. Then he's off!

Play it to his feet and he will control it...twice...look around....twice...Then get confused because he has too many options.

Play the ball slightly in front of him and you will set him off.

Im

I haven't seen the game so can't comment on the interview but the comments on here and what I heard over the radio of the first half, the last 10 and also Roms overall performance don't suggest to me that the dressing room is in to bad a place. Yes confidence is low, which is understandable but players that aren't happy don't put in one of their best performances and the teams don't keep pushing until the last minute.

Obviously don't know what the Jags interview was about but by the sounds of it he was pretty useless so may be more to do with his own game than anything else.

If you haven't seen the interview you can't really comment. It was a very evident both players didn't seem happy.

Guest rusty747

Always said this rust, if he plays deep he can see widescreen what's in front of him and he gets is fifty yards up field in an instance. It's like god tested the lad, gave him world class feet but installed blinkers at the same time. Now get to bed!!!!

Too late already. Time to pack a case and get some breakfast. Check out of hotel in 3 hours.

Im

both of them were looking at the floor, shoulders slumped a bit despite getting a last gasp goal, low tone. Really did seem down

If you haven't seen the interview you can't really comment. It was a very evident both players didn't seem happy.

I can comment on the game comments/bbc commentery and also what I saw at the end of the Hull game. I'm not saying the interview didn't seem downbeat, not arguing that, I'm just saying that the reasons they might be down would on the face of it be different or for other reasons than the ones you are suggesting.

both of them were looking at the floor, shoulders slumped a bit despite getting a last gasp goal, low tone. Really did seem down

It surprises me a little with Jags but I have seen Rom interviewed post game before and he is a bit like that. Similar to Ross but in better English ;)

So pleased with the overall performance tonight. It wasn't where we were last season but there's so much to take from this game and build on, which is a hell of a lot more than can be said for our previous few games.

There was a lot more desire shown by our players and if we'd got that equaliser even 5 minutes earlier I think we'd have gone on to win the game.

We were the better side and should've gone through tonight.