IGNORED

Manchester United (Home)

markjazzbassist

Martinez is proving doubters wrong. Tactical masterclass.

One game out of a handful this season.

But, won't take anything away from him today. It's like he's watched the way Everton have been dismantled and adopted that approach. Incredibly encouraging :)

Why?! If anything it shows he's learnt our weaknesses and even better, learnt how to use it to our advantage. Highly encouraging

Dumb people never learn

Normal people learn from their own mistakes

Intelligent people learn from other peoples mistakes.

Normal is for losers.

I don't have to, I disagreed with your premise, not the outcome.

Fair enough, as I disagree with yours. Don't care how he learns, so long as he does and we win. If "normal" is dismantling teams with a new, refined approach, I want normal!

Of course, it would be better to learn from others mistakes, but learning is learning. Not evolving, not adapting was my worry in February, but he is showing he can and is. Long may it continue.

I really wish we wouldn't stand off so much, it makes me have kittens! But other than that we got it right and it was a pleasing performance. Which meant I had a pleasant afternoon watching Everton for a change.

I don't agree that everyone played well though. There was one who I thought was crap but, fortunately, he was subbed and, with any luck, he won't start the next game and Mirallas will.

Guest rusty747

We had a few big decisions go our way today, which we did deserve. Delighted with the win and it was a good performance with good tactics. My only negative comment is that once we scored we went into 'Moyes Mode' and stood off too much. At one stage I thought we were going to try to defend a 1-0 lead for 85 minutes. When top teams score a goal they immediately go looking for the killer second. That is what I would like the next step of Everton's undoubted progress to focus on next.

But great win and a good performance.

Edited by rusty747

"Fair enough, as I disagree with yours. Don't care how he learns, so long as he does and we win. If "normal" is dismantling teams with a new, refined approach, I want normal!

Of course, it would be better to learn from others mistakes, but learning is learning. Not evolving, not adapting was my worry in February, but he is showing he can and is. Long may it continue. "

We already have enough against us as the game becomes more and more monetised, but, in my opinion we can always afford a visionary manager even if we can't always afford the players, so I am not prepared to compromise on that with a manager who learns by getting battered.

We hope Bobby is that guy, but theres not enough results yet to draw any solid conclusions and he's young so we cant compare apples for apples on his previous work.

But to clarify, I would be concerned if our "learning" came at the end of the season by adopting the tactics of clubs who beat us, the jury may still officially be out on Bobby but I don't think anyone in the game, of any real substance questions his chops, just whether its going to work in this environment.

Sorry if I'm not being clear but its late here and I had a big one last night :)

Edited by Chach

I don't agree that everyone played well though. There was one who I thought was crap but, fortunately, he was subbed and, with any luck, he won't start the next game and Mirallas will.

So the assumption is you're talking Ossie; different perspective being at the game to watching it on TV maybe but he was far from crap from where I was watching.

So the assumption is you're talking Ossie; different perspective being at the game to watching it on TV maybe but he was far from crap from where I was watching.

Correct. Played like he'd already been on the pitch for an hour from the first whistle, drifted inside far too often leaving Baines on his own defensively and offensively. When he was over there to help out he may as well not have been because Valencia roasted him.

I wasn't too impressed with Baines (his corners were better today though) either, or Lukaku (he looked sluggish).

Correct. Played like he'd already been on the pitch for an hour from the first whistle, drifted inside far too often leaving Baines on his own defensively and offensively. When he was over there to help out he may as well not have been because Valencia roasted him.

I wasn't too impressed with Baines (his corners were better today though) either, or Lukaku (he looked sluggish).

You're a hard man to please :unsure:.

To be honest I love the result and some of our play was brilliant, tactics were good....... BUT we need to stop giving the ball away so easily.

Barkley for example passed the ball to a Man Utd player four times that I can remember.... But not picking on him, he is not the only player who has to learn.

I just find it frustrating when so many good moves are ended, not by the skill of the opposition but our own mistakes.

On another day it's have been the other way round and we'd have been on the end of a hammering, so it's difficult to be all rosey about the game tbh, Mike.

But the fact is that we scored three and Howard didn't have to make a save of note the whole game, so I fail to see how they could've hammered us. They weren't going to score if you gave them another ninety minutes and if it wasn't for de Gea and a couple of misplaced passes it would have been five.

I'm well rosey :).

But the fact is that we scored three and Howard didn't have to make a save of note the whole game, so I fail to see how they could've hammered us. They weren't going to score if you gave them another ninety minutes and if it wasn't for de Gea and a couple of misplaced passes it would have been five.

I'm well rosey :).

It matters how we played though. We let them have too much of the ball and, apart from Lennon, didn't really close them down. If they'd had their creative heads on they'd have stuffed us.

Our clinicalness and central defenders were brilliant, but I don't think it was a performance that warrants any thoughts of turning a corner or anything to get excited about. So the result will live long in my memory but the performance will not.