IGNORED

Tom Heaton

• 1 month later...

Ok, I'll bite. Who is better and cheaper? I couldn't even find a price quote on that article.

Heaton probably doesn't ask for king's ransom in wages either. The question is, do you want a keeper who has played well in the Premier or gamble on someone who hasn't? I doubt we could sign anyone really good, because they tend to be in high demand. Especially if their price is within our range.

Bitings bad, get your mussel back on.

Heaton's ideal as a back up, not as a player who'll grow into the team going forward. I thought he was 'OK' at Burnley, nothing overly special but he is pretty consistent. Close to 30, he'll probably cost about £3m.

If Nyland was available for the prices previously quoted, I'd be happier to take the gamble on Nyland than Heaton. Reported £2.2m buy out clause, for me, its a no brainer. Highly thought of, bags of talent/potential, young and cheap. Grow with the team.

Edited by tenaciousj

Bitings bad, get your mussel back on.

Heaton's ideal as a back up, not as a player who'll grow into the team going forward. I thought he was 'OK' at Burnley, nothing overly special but he is pretty consistent. Close to 30, he'll probably cost about £3m.

If Nyland was available for the prices previously quoted, I'd be happier to take the gamble on Nyland than Heaton. Reported £2.2m buy out clause, for me, its a no brainer. Highly thought of, bags of talent/potential, young and cheap. Grow with the team.

If Howard is returning to USA this summer then Heaton's the no brainer for me. It's too important of a position to plunk for potential (although I'm sure we've done our homework). 30 is no age for a keeper - he's got at least 6 more years at the top. Look at Howard and Martyn - our best keepers post Southall.

If Howard's sticking about then Nyland's the no brainer - get him out on loan in the Prem/Championship and see if he's the real deal. £2.2m is a steal if he's as good as he promises.

Agree with c1982, we need an experienced number one, because we can't afford a young keeper who's already good enough. Their prices tend to start at 10 million.

But we can afford one, if you look in the right places. Everton shouldn't even hesitate at the thought of shelling out £10m at an experienced young keeper anyway.

Agree with c1982, we need an experienced number one, because we can't afford a young keeper who's already good enough. Their prices tend to start at 10 million.

I'm saying I'd rather have Heaton than Nyland if Howard's going but if there's a younger alternative that is good enough now then perfect! I'd love Begovic but can't see us meeting his ambitions should he leave Stoke - probably cost more than £10m too.

Feel for Tim if it's family issues. There were a lot of negatives about Joel last season but generally we agreed he stepped up and should be given a chance of regular first team starts, it didn't happen but I'd be happy to see him in come August.

Robles plays a few decent games and people are happy to go through the season him as number one. Six months before those games there probably weren't any fans who wouldn't have gotten rid.

I'm not, I've wanted a new goalie for a few seasons.

I'm just resigned to the fact I wont get what I want.

i must admit I had never heard of heaton until he played at goodison but was well impressed with his performance.

Surely £2 million can't be right if it is bring him in and give Robles the no 1 spot if he doesn't cut it tom will be good enough to step in.

I am more then happy with that approach, I just feel if Tim goes back to the states for what ever reason - Robles should be given a go, however it would make sense to buy a keeper with enough quality to be the no.1 if Robles doesnt take his chance.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 years later...