IGNORED

Summer Transfers: Who goes and who comes in?

Matt

Gravesen epitomised what makes some footballers extremely overated - a bit of crowd acknowledgement, the odd mad challenge, kinda turned a premier league match into WWF.

All he needed was to get a plastic chair and smash it over an opponents head and climb up the dug out and do a body splash.

For me Grav was more of a cult figure than a player that actually added much to the side. Like you said, he had that one spell where he was great (just before he left) but, other than that, he was pretty crap and non-existent apart from being a loony.

Not having this. Brilliant player.

Just that in and around the age of 12 etc I was a fan of the players who were noticeable - gravesen was that. As I grew older I realised that players like him were not very good for bigger reasons.

I was actually 17 when he left in 2005. More than adequate to see a good player and a poor player. Not sure about your fascination with age and views on players

Well, that explains your fascination with Mirallas. You are happy if a player has a Youtube moment in a game, the rest of the game doesn't matter.

Getting a bit sick of the point scoring against MC. He's completely entitled to his opinion on Gravesen here.

I don't need to defend him. Martinez has come out today saying he's never disrespected the club. Case closed.

Annndddd......All of a sudden what Martinez says is 100% truth..... we play awful and he says we were unlucky, we get beaten and says we deserve to win.

Mirallas disrespected his team mates and the club when he took that decision to take the ball from Baines for the penno. Funny isn't it, since then Baines has let Rom take the pens.

Back on topic. I think this summer is going to tell us a lot about Martinez. He came here and said he has a long-term plan, that he wants to build something. If he doesn't bring in a few long-term players (supplemented by one or two experienced heads), and start phasing out the ageing players like Osman and Pienaar, then I'm going to start doubting him.

Mirallas disrespected his team mates and the club when he took that decision to take the ball from Baines for the penno. Funny isn't it, since then Baines has let Rom take the pens.

Been wondering about that. Is it down to the groin injury Baines has been suffering with, or did Mirallas' actions hit his confidence with pens?

Edited by Romey 1878

Been wondering about that. Is it down to the groin injury Baines has been suffering with, or did Mirallas' actions hit his confidence with pens?

Baines isn't exactly a player that exudes confidence and I think he lacks a bit of personality in that regard. He lets Rom take a few free kicks too.

But yeah, I think he's spat the dummy out a little bit to make a point.

Back on topic. I think this summer is going to tell us a lot about Martinez. He came here and said he has a long-term plan, that he wants to build something. If he doesn't bring in a few long-term players (supplemented by one or two experienced heads), and start phasing out the ageing players like Osman and Pienaar, then I'm going to start doubting him.

Been thinking the same. He's now had almost two years so whatever plan he has must start to play out. No-one gets more than three years to implement their style.

Its naughty really isn't - Baines has never looked like missing one even the one that was saved, even when they go down the middle he hits them with an authority.

He lost his spec due to Mirallas and now Rom is being a dominant alpha.

If I am honest I don't think Rom is anywhere near as assured as Baines taking a pen, don't get me wrong he's been fine but they are far more saveable than Baines's.

There is only Gerrard who IMO hits a no nonsense penno like Baines - by that I mean they don't watch the keeper move and do what Balotelli does and go the other way - they pick their spot and hit it with a pace that means even if the keeper guesses correctly then they still have a slim chance of saving it.

Its naughty really isn't - Baines has never looked like missing one even the one that was saved, even when they go down the middle he hits them with an authority.

He lost his spec due to Mirallas and now Rom is being a dominant alpha.

If I am honest I don't think Rom is anywhere near as assured as Baines taking a pen, don't get me wrong he's been fine but they are far more saveable than Baines's.

There is only Gerrard who IMO hits a no nonsense penno like Baines - by that I mean they don't watch the keeper move and do what Balotelli does and go the other way - they pick their spot and hit it with a pace that means even if the keeper guesses correctly then they still have a slim chance of saving it.

I agree, I feel far more comfortable when Baines is taking them . Roms pens are just not convincing for me and I don't think it will be long before he misses one

• 2 weeks later...

thinking more about this lately.

Gone - Howard (Sold to MLS), Distin (released), Alcaraz (released), Hibbert (retires), Kone (Sold), Pienaar (sold)

In - Keeper, CB (Backup cheap), RB (Backup cheap), Lennon (Signed from spurs), Januzai/Duelofeu (Loan), Striker (young prospect able to play first team)

I think Naisy will be 2nd striker, osman is worth keeping around.

I'd rather bring in Lennon and another winger (Januzaj/Delafaou) and play Kev behind Lukaku rather than Naismith

I like Naismith he's a great finisher and workhorse but he's not what I'd want to be starting with tbh

I'm sorry when I said second striker I mean second string. Like if lukaku doesn't start then it's naisy up top as the target man, that's where he wants and needs to be played in my opinion. Either that or sell him and get some young bloods.

I'm sorry when I said second striker I mean second string. Like if lukaku doesn't start then it's naisy up top as the target man, that's where he wants and needs to be played in my opinion. Either that or sell him and get some young bloods.

I'll let you off Mark ;) fully agree with that though mate I'd keep hold of him he's a good player to have in the squad