IGNORED

Summer Transfers: Who goes and who comes in?

Matt

Bill he's not as good as he thinks he is simple as that but I hope he plays the next 2 games so all can see what he is actually capable of.

I think it's a minority who don't rate him. I rate him very highly and I think he'll go all the way. He's got all the tools to go to the very top. His performances have been better than Baines this season.

Probably can't afford everything so has decided to prioritize.

Exactly. If Henen really has impressed, along with Long, then we've 2 young strikers with pace to bring in alongside Naismith for competition with Rom. Striker is a much lower priority than other areas...

I think it's a minority who don't rate him. I rate him very highly and I think he'll go all the way. He's got all the tools to go to the very top. His performances have been better than Baines this season.

Fully agree I think that sentiment falls on Luke Shaw whereas Garbutt is potentially the best young LB I've personally seen for a long time

It should be one of our main goals this summer to tie both Garbutt and Stones down for as long as possible

That link Dunc posted worries me IF Martinez thinks Kone is worth another season and is the kind if standard and quality we need then we're fucked

I could understand if the likes of Henen and possibly Long where nearing being ready to step up but to even suggest keeping hold of Kone is bonkers

Edited by EFC-Paul

I watched a video of Henen's season and wasn't overly impressed. There's lots of promise but also a lot to learn. Didn't look ready for first team on that video.

Ah, found the video:

https://vimeo.com/126670003

What about that doesn't excite you? I see his head is always up, his feet are always moving, he has quick feet and a quick mind, he is always making a run, and he is always looking to create danger for the opposition.

I think he would be a breath of fresh air for our team as a 60th minute sub here and there. I don't know how well we could rely on him defensively, but if we are chasing a game, having him on one wing and Mirallas on the other would be exciting I think.

What about that doesn't excite you? I see his head is always up, his feet are always moving, he has quick feet and a quick mind, he is always making a run, and he is always looking to create danger for the opposition.

I think he would be a breath of fresh air for our team as a 60th minute sub here and there. I don't know how well we could rely on him defensively, but if we are chasing a game, having him on one wing and Mirallas on the other would be exciting I think.

I didn't say he doesn't excite me, I said he didn't impress me (yet). He still looks like someone who should play in the reserves, there is a big step-up to the first team. Nothing is impossible, but he needs to toughen up a lot and improve his decision-making to be of use in the Premier League.

I like the sound of that and glad the young lads got a mention as we've all or most have been wondering how they fair in Martinez's plans

It's a shame Vertonghen fell back in favour with Pochettino a lefty and more than capable another who I think could do much better in a stronger more organised side is Janmaat at Newcastle another lefty young and knowing how Ashley operates he'd surely sell

I like the sound of that and glad the young lads got a mention as we've all or most have been wondering how they fair in Martinez's plans

It's a shame Vertonghen fell back in favour with Pochettino a lefty and more than capable another who I think could do much better in a stronger more organised side is Janmaat at Newcastle another lefty young and knowing how Ashley operates he'd surely sell

Janmaat's a right back isn't he?

Janmaat's a right back isn't he?

Sorry I thought I'd seen him play in the middle when I've watched them play which is admittedly not much it either shows how disorganised they are or how fucked my eyes are probably both!

Just had a Google as you do :) and knew I'd seen him play in the middle it was against us at some point.... Phew

Either way hands up poor shout as he is indeed a RB there's not many decent left footed CBs around that I can think of tbh that would be realistic and what Martinez says he wants

Edited by EFC-Paul

If we get another strong CB i would hope we would look to the 3 at the back system. The role that Barry plays can be dropped back with Jags and possible this N'Koulou the wider CB's as they both have great pace, Stonesy in the middle and to push forward a touch when on the ball and play Barry's attacking role as well. We got the full backs to do, nearly all our wingers cant cross a ball to save their lives so they might as play as inside forwards and let the wingbacks deliver from out wide. At worst let it be plan B....

If we get another strong CB i would hope we would look to the 3 at the back system. The role that Barry plays can be dropped back with Jags and possible this N'Koulou the wider CB's as they both have great pace, Stonesy in the middle and to push forward a touch when on the ball and play Barry's attacking role as well. We got the full backs to do, nearly all our wingers cant cross a ball to save their lives so they might as play as inside forwards and let the wingbacks deliver from out wide. At worst let it be plan B....

The few times we've attempted a back three have made me scared shitless...

Yeah, it should be nothing but Plan B. The league is not set up to play it and would give our opponents massive advantages.

It won't work (back 3).

99% teams start with 2 wingers, at least a striker and a number 10. Which is all ready an overload on just 3 CB's. At least with 4 at the back, the worst you can do is man mark.

Edited by tenaciousj

Yeah, it should be nothing but Plan B. The league is not set up to play it and would give our opponents massive advantages.

It won't work (back 3).

99% teams start with 2 wingers, at least a striker and a number 10. Which is all ready an overload on just 3 CB's. At least with 4 at the back, the worst you can do is man mark.

I understand your points but we have never had the players to do it. Heitinga was sketchy at best and i wouldnt want it with Alcaraz either. The way we play at the moment Barry oftens drops to deep left and starts from there. There isnt much difference then have 2 CB's spilt and Stones sit a few yards higher up to get the ball off the other two and distribute to McCarthy/Barkley.

As for the 2 wingers, striker and no. 10 you can man mark them because nearly every no.10 in the league gets behind the ball defensively so our CDM will be able to pick them up. Its the system of the future, players will only become fitter as sports science is developed and wingbacks will be expected to get up and down.

This all day long. We look horrendously out of shape and disorganised when we play that. Palace at home in the latter stages of the game this season springs to mind most.

Urg!

Either way hands up poor shout as he is indeed a RB there's not many decent left footed CBs around that I can think of tbh that would be realistic and what Martinez says he wants

Tyrone Mings of Ipswich may be a shout. Will be a Championship player (with how this game's panning out) looking for the step up maybe. Very highly regarded at lb for a while but certainly looks like he'll develop into a cultured cb. May cost a bit especially with Arsenal and others linked but with Garbutt's situation unclear he'd offer us competition at lb and cb.

Tyrone Mings of Ipswich may be a shout. Will be a Championship player (with how this game's panning out) looking for the step up maybe. Very highly regarded at lb for a while but certainly looks like he'll develop into a cultured cb. May cost a bit especially with Arsenal and others linked but with Garbutt's situation unclear he'd offer us competition at lb and cb.

That's a good shout we've been linked in recent times haven't we? I'll be livid if we let Garbutt go especially for peanuts

That's a good shout we've been linked in recent times haven't we? I'll be livid if we let Garbutt go especially for peanuts

The tribunal will set Garbutt's fee - no contract but luckily we've offered him one so get compensated. £3m I'd imagine.