IGNORED

Summer Transfers: Who goes and who comes in?

Matt

So that's 2 in now in Deulofeu and Cleverley. Roberto has said himself that we need a number 10 and a centre back. Big talks of Scott Dann as the CB. Do you think he would then be the main centre halve for the summer or would he be the fourth CB with Jags,Stones and one more? Probably not in the financial situation to do that are we so probably Jags, Stones, Dann and Browning and Galloway as 4th and 5th. It's quiet on the Number 10 front though and I do feel that a number 10 should be our main priority this summer. Gutted on Firminio going to the shite.

So that's 2 in now in Deulofeu and Cleverley. Roberto has said himself that we need a number 10 and a centre back. Big talks of Scott Dann as the CB. Do you think he would then be the main centre halve for the summer or would he be the fourth CB with Jags,Stones and one more? Probably not in the financial situation to do that are we so probably Jags, Stones, Dann and Browning and Galloway as 4th and 5th. It's quiet on the Number 10 front though and I do feel that a number 10 should be our main priority this summer. Gutted on Firminio going to the shite.

i think it will be a backup CB and number 10 left to sign. dann will be too much and probably won't want to come in to be a backup to stones and jags. the number 10 is a mystery currently, nothing leaked yet so maybe that one will go down to the deadline.

Come on, lads, Cleverley is out new number 10. He's a creative genius, he's just been keeping it very quiet. Like Gueye was Moyes' weapon, Cleverley is Roberto's.

Ha!! Magaye Gueye, just saw he got released by Millwall. Roberto did say we wanted 4. A winger (Deulofeu), a versatile player with the right attitude (Cleverley), a CB and a number 10. 2 to go it is then.

Going by Roberto's words on the signing of Deulofeu I reckon we'll have a long wait until our next signing.

I think he'll get a CB in before the season kicks off as a necessity but the no.10 may be a late move. I think we'll play the long game with Lennon in the hope that we can get him at a fair price - if he doesn't get other interesting offers I can see us signing him after we've played them in August. Decent start but a lot more to be done - with a few twists along the way.

I think he'll get a CB in before the season kicks off as a necessity but the no.10 may be a late move. I think we'll play the long game with Lennon in the hope that we can get him at a fair price - if he doesn't get other interesting offers I can see us signing him after we've played them in August. Decent start but a lot more to be done - with a few twists along the way.

Spot on

I've said it before that I don't think we will bring in a proper creative number AM unless we bring Lennon back permanently and he tries to adapt someone else to the role

He obviously rates Cleverley quite highly and considering we have a few options in the middle I'd expect him to play something like the following

---------Barkley----McCarthy

Delafaou-----Cleverley-----Mirallas

I'll play the waiting game first though and hope he does bring in such a player but I'm not holding my breath

Edited by EFC-Paul

Lineup for next season with transfers so far

Robles

Coleman Stones Jags Baines

McCarthy Barry

Deulofeu Barkley Mirallas

Lukaku

Subs - Cleverley for Mirallas, Osman for Barkley, besic for barry.

Not bad so far me thinks.

I really had to look hard to spot a difference then....

Robles

McCarthy Barry

Lukaku

Those lads almost got 4th two seasons ago, if only Barry was 24... Howard had a great season too.

Hard to replicate success, but at least with Cleverley and Besic there's a bit of depth at CM.

A winger (another) must be signed too to play McGeady's minutes. A CB and a keeper too and I'd be happy.

I really had to look hard to spot a difference then....

lol, not much to be honest, just robles and gerry in there :) i don't think tom will start to begin the season unless mirallas leaves. i think RM will slowly work him in and well see what position he views him as. i'd love barkley in the barry position but i just don't see RM doing that, and with less minutes this year barry might have a resurgence.

Robles

McCarthy Barry

Lukaku

Don't see how you can decide on the subs up front; too many variables. Score/cards/injuries/form to name four.

Don't see how you can decide on the subs up front; too many variables. Score/cards/injuries/form to name four.

just generalities saying i'd prefer those 3 of the bench the most. obviously a keeper is injured you put a keeper in. i'm bored at work mike and it's friday and itching for blues football, just trying to get excited about next season that's all. also i still think osman has a decent sized role to play for us.

Cleverley shouldn't and hopefully isn't used as a winger he's a central midfielder he doesn't have the pace skill and trickery to play there

If he kicks on and Martinez gets the best out of him I'd rather him play over Barry potentially the better of two evils as good as Barry has been he brings very little for the most part that McCarthy doesn't and having two such players in a side is to negative imo

I'd like to see (although it won't happen)

________________Robles

Coleman____Stones____Jags____Baines

_______________McCarthy

________Barkley________Cleverly

Deulofeu____________________Mirallas

_______________Lukaku

Edited by EFC-Paul

Cleverley shouldn't and hopefully isn't used as a winger he's a central midfielder he doesn't have the pace skill and trickery to play there

If he kicks on and Martinez gets the best out of him I'd rather him play over Barry potentially the better of two evils as good as Barry has been he brings very little for the most part that McCarthy doesn't and having two such players in a side is to negative imo

I'd like to see (although it won't happen)

________________Robles

Coleman____Stones____Jags____Baines

_______________McCarthy

________Barkley________Cleverly

Deulofeu____________________Mirallas

_______________Lukaku

i like the look of that paul. 4141, 451, 433? either way great formation and does seem to maximize the various talents of each individual.

I'm still very, very doubtful that Martinez knows how to integrate wingers without limiting the impact of our FBs. This is why I think Cleverley will be good for us, play as narrow 3 behind the striker to and link up the play with Baines and Coleman. I like the look of Pauls line up, but I don't trust Barkley to track back and tackle, same with TC. If I was going to get my way, it would look more like this:

__________________Robles________________
Coleman______Stones____Jags_______Baines
_________McCarthy_______Besic____________
______Barkley____Mirallas____Cleverley______
________________Lukaku________________
Those AMs are quite close together in my head, enabling them to interchange but more importantly to allow Ross and Tom to provide the link up wiht the FBs, let Kev receive the ball then turn and run at the defence. Rom can create space or, more likely, the defence would step up to stop Mirallas before he got going leaving space for Lukaku.

I'm still very, very doubtful that Martinez knows how to integrate wingers without limiting the impact of our FBs. This is why I think Cleverley will be good for us, play as narrow 3 behind the striker to and link up the play with Baines and Coleman. I like the look of Pauls line up, but I don't trust Barkley to track back and tackle, same with TC. If I was going to get my way, it would look more like this:

__________________Robles________________

Coleman______Stones____Jags_______Baines

_________McCarthy_______Besic____________

______Barkley____Mirallas____Cleverley______

________________Lukaku________________

Those AMs are quite close together in my head, enabling them to interchange but more importantly to allow Ross and Tom to provide the link up wiht the FBs, let Kev receive the ball then turn and run at the defence. Rom can create space or, more likely, the defence would step up to stop Mirallas before he got going leaving space for Lukaku.

Thank god you aren't manager

I've never been a fan of his use or any other sides of two DM's it's a negative waste of a position imo and it has shown it doesn't always stop goals leaking in like last season

Look at most successful and well balanced sides over the years they've usually used just the one break up play interlink between defence and midfield that's all you need otherwise you end up becoming a pinned back side relying on counter attacking football without the men/man infront to do so

I really wouldn't want Ross to track back as such just hold his position a little deeper if need be Cleverley and Mccarthy (if played) can Interchange and sweep up if need be

Edited by EFC-Paul

I've never been a fan of his use or any other sides of two DM's it's a negative waste of a position imo and it has shown it doesn't always stop goals leaking in like last season

Look at most successful and well balanced sides over the years they've usually used just the one break up play interlink between defence and midfield that's all you need otherwise you end up becoming a pinned back side relying on counter attacking football without the men/man infront to do so

I really wouldn't want Ross to track back as such just hold his position a little deeper if need be Cleverley and Mccarthy (if played) can Interchange and sweep up if need be

The 2 DCMs allow the FBs to get forward and fill in for them, thats why I stuck with 4231. If we didn't have Baines and Coleman as such attacking players, I'd agree we don't need both. That said, its only necessary to have 1 holding at a time as we only attack one flank at a time. What I put there has McCarthy bringing the ball forward and Besic staying back to cover if needed or vice versa. But, if you only have 1 DCM covering both sides, he'll tire quickly - alternating allows them to maintain their energy levels.