IGNORED

Summer Transfers: Who goes and who comes in?

Matt

I don't think there will be a marquee signing this year mate, I don't think we'll sign a number 10 either. Think Lennon will only come if we sell Mirallas either.

As depressing as it sounds I agree with you. I don't think we'll be in for another winger unless Mirallas leaves. However we've only spent £4 million so far so surely, surely, even for us, after the TV money we have at least £15 million left to spend which should get us at least one marquee signing. No idea what's going on in the back room though so none the wiser as to our budget this summer.

Edited by Geth

I've never been a fan of his use or any other sides of two DM's it's a negative waste of a position imo and it has shown it doesn't always stop goals leaking in like last season

Look at most successful and well balanced sides over the years they've usually used just the one break up play interlink between defence and midfield that's all you need otherwise you end up becoming a pinned back side relying on counter attacking football without the men/man infront to do so

I really wouldn't want Ross to track back as such just hold his position a little deeper if need be Cleverley and Mccarthy (if played) can Interchange and sweep up if need be

Spot on. Waste of an all round midfielder playing 2 defensive sitters. Football evolves and just because it worked in one season doesn't mean it will the next. Then there's that little old fella Makelele who did all this work himself. There's plenty more like Gilberto Silva and Keane. All those players allowed their full backs to bomb forward... Lauren, Cole, Neville, Irwin, Evra.

Absolute media driven myth you need two sitters to have attacking fullbacks

Spot on. Waste of an all round midfielder playing 2 defensive sitters. Football evolves and just because it worked in one season doesn't mean it will the next. Then there's that little old fella Makelele who did all this work himself. There's plenty more like Gilberto Silva and Keane. All those players allowed their full backs to bomb forward... Lauren, Cole, Neville, Irwin, Evra.

Absolute media driven myth you need two sitters to have attacking fullbacks

The idea is that the DMC provide the platform for the rest of the team to attack. They are the first line of defence, but also they are supposed to be good distributors, something that Makelele was never able to do, and tactically smart.

I want to believe that McCarthy will be the ultimate DMC at some point, when he decides to start grabbing games by the neck and starts passing forward and make good timed runs. The other DMC should not be a DMC, but a MC with the physical tools to run around.

In other words, in 2 years I fully expect McCarthy to do the Barry role, and a more offensive polished player to do the 'box to box' midfielder.

The idea is that the DMC provide the platform for the rest of the team to attack. They are the first line of defence, but also they are supposed to be good distributors, something that Makelele was never able to do, and tactically smart.

I want to believe that McCarthy will be the ultimate DMC at some point, when he decides to start grabbing games by the neck and starts passing forward and make good timed runs. The other DMC should not be a DMC, but a MC with the physical tools to run around.

In other words, in 2 years I fully expect McCarthy to do the Barry role, and a more offensive polished player to do the 'box to box' midfielder.

A Youri Tielemans type maybe? I'd be thrilled if we went after and got him (out of the question I know). Edited by DownUnderToff

Regarding the AMC that (many would agree) we badly need, I haven't heard much on that front from Oz. Not since Kagawa was mentioned. I'm hoping there's a lot going on quietly, cause there seems to be a lot of promising young attacking mids out there that might not break even Everton's bank.

I think as a few of the boys have mentioned we should expect the no.10 later in the window, its well know we are looking and in need of one so the board will have to be patient to get a good price, im sure there are 3-4 players are being targeted- i really hope kagawa is the first!

A Youri Tielemans type maybe? I'd be thrilled if we went after and got him (out of the question I know).

He would be a great buy as he is so young, but I don't really think that he would be ready now for the challenge here. If Besic does not step up, that position is a gap for the next seasons.

Atletico Madrid was very much into Tielemans for €20m some time ago -which really speaks well about the lad, Simeone is a great talent evaluator-. €20mis not that much considering age and potential to become dominant in the next years.

Unfortunately I don't see him coming to Everton, although Martinez has shown that he likes youth and he is willing to invest big on young talents.

It doesn't seem the dead wood will be leaving this summer. No rumours of anyone interested in the likes of Pienaar, Kone, etc. If RM has a bounce back this season and isn't sacked, next offseason will be a massive one. Maybe that's why he's saving the pennies this transfer window? Here's who's contracts up 2016.

Hibbert

Gibson

Oviedo

Kone

Mirallas

Osman

Pienaar

Stanek and various other youngsters

A lot of dead wood there, but also Mirallas, Osman, Kone will be expensive to replace with quality, we don't really have any youngsters able to take those roles yet. I expect Ledson to take over for Gibson on the roster, but that's about it.

@FreelanceFoz: Aiden McGeady to exit Everton this transfer window. Celtic favourites to land the winger.

Lots of people latching onto this on Twitter. I'd honestly be fine with him going, especially if it was a swap for Van Dijk!

Probably a bullshit rumor though.

This would be our best business of the window!

I'm still indifferent to Lennon being brought in. If he was as well as a younger winger (not Gerry young) then I'd be more positive towards it.

are you saying you'd rather another young winger to be signed? good thought especially if we are in fact running down kevin's contract without an extension, we will need a competent replacement. if only we could afford either of the ukrainians wages, they'd be perfect and help out creatively as well.

@FreelanceFoz: Aiden McGeady to exit Everton this transfer window. Celtic favourites to land the winger.

Lots of people latching onto this on Twitter. I'd honestly be fine with him going, especially if it was a swap for Van Dijk!

I'd swap him for Dick Van Dyke.

are you saying you'd rather another young winger to be signed? good thought especially if we are in fact running down kevin's contract without an extension, we will need a competent replacement. if only we could afford either of the ukrainians wages, they'd be perfect and help out creatively as well.

I am saying that, yeah. Someone a bit older than Gerry with more experience. Like I've said previously; I'd like Lennon to be more of a fallback transfer if we couldn't find someone who fits what I've just said, or as an extra signing. Edited by Romey 1878

Always thought we missed a trick with Redmond at the time £2m was it? Bargain!

Not many spring to mind that would fit the bill if he went that are younger than Lennon who I'd happily have as a replacement at worst he's a vast improvement on McGeady

I'd be happy to have Mirallas Lennon Delofaou and possibly use Henen as cover out wide as he's been played there before I think

Always thought we missed a trick with Redmond at the time £2m was it? Bargain!

Not many spring to mind that would fit the bill if he went that are younger than Lennon who I'd happily have as a replacement at worst he's a vast improvement on McGeady

I'd be happy to have Mirallas Lennon Delofaou and possibly use Henen as cover out wide as he's been played there before I think

Redmond would be nice, he's really growing too but he's pretty integral to Norwich, I can't see them letting him go for cheap.

I'd like to see us make a move for a #1 goalkeeper, Maybe Ryan of Club Brugge? CB or two unless we promote Browning or Galloway to the first team on a regular basis, I still feel we need a good CB to provide adequate cover for Stones and Jagielka, I don't like seeign Dann, Evans etc. being touted for such high money 10m plus! Byram as RB cover would be a great signing, we need adequate cover for Coleman. AM, need a quality playmaker, haven't seen many concrete names but hopefully Bobby will pull something out of the bag, CF, Guidetti has been bossing the U21 championships for Sweden, on a free could be a shrewd deal for us, otherwise Bamford on loan could be usefull off the bench.

I'd like to see us make a move for a #1 goalkeeper, Maybe Ryan of Club Brugge? CB or two unless we promote Browning or Galloway to the first team on a regular basis, I still feel we need a good CB to provide adequate cover for Stones and Jagielka, I don't like seeign Dann, Evans etc. being touted for such high money 10m plus! Byram as RB cover would be a great signing, we need adequate cover for Coleman. AM, need a quality playmaker, haven't seen many concrete names but hopefully Bobby will pull something out of the bag, CF, Guidetti has been bossing the U21 championships for Sweden, on a free could be a shrewd deal for us, otherwise Bamford on loan could be usefull off the bench.

Ospina from Arsenal would do me nicely.