IGNORED

Summer Transfers: Who goes and who comes in?

Matt

I'd rather bring in Lennon and another winger (Januzaj/Delafaou) and play Kev behind Lukaku rather than Naismith

I like Naismith he's a great finisher and workhorse but he's not what I'd want to be starting with tbh

To be honest, that's exactly why I would starr him. Worst case, he exhausts the defence with his runs and workrate for a young, quick striker to exploit and if he actually gets a chance he can finish. I think the only reason we've not seen him recently is because he ran himself ragged for the first 2/3rds of the season and his performances dropped due to fatigue.

Oh boy. So McCarthy is also similar to Pienaar since he, too, is a hard worker off the ball? And if you want a winger, how about Kevin Kilbane?

Pienaar doesn't run past players and isn't particularly quick. But his close control and short passing, especially one-twos, are good. He's more like a playmaker while Lennon is a winger. There's very little in common. We lack a Pienaar type and Lennon is not that.

Oh boy. So McCarthy is also similar to Pienaar since he, too, is a hard worker off the ball? And if you want a winger, how about Kevin Kilbane?

Pienaar doesn't run past players and isn't particularly quick. But his close control and short passing, especially one-twos, are good. He's more like a playmaker while Lennon is a winger. There's very little in common. We lack a Pienaar type and Lennon is not that.

Big boy. Do I see similarities between Lennon and Pienaar - yes because they both work hard for the team when we don't have the ball. Do I see similarities between Mirallas and Lennon - no. Therefore my whole point is.... Out wide I see Lennon as Pienaars replacement and not Mirallas.

Outs: Howard has shown with his number of errors this season that he can't get a second chance and a place as our #1 keeper.

Robles: Martinez's reluctance to play his own signing when Howard came back from injury is telling enough, don't think he showed enough when he was playing in Howards absence, definetely not good enough to be our #1 or even #2 for that matter.

Ins: For 8m Cech would add to one of the best back lines in the league, i think with our back 4 and McCarthy and Barry/ Besic beside him that's once of the top back 7s in the league at the minute.

Don't know on other good, backup keepers, maybe Ryan of Brugge or Butland of Stoke?

Outs: Alcaraz, Distin, Hibbert. Contracts running out, don't renew.

Ins: Micah Richards on a free fr CB and RB cover? used to be a phoenominal player, still only 26. Had a difficult few seasons but I think he should be just what we're after.

Another CB cover who will develop.

Outs: Gibson, gets injured far too often, injured more often than avalaible, I rate him when fit but we can't afford to have a guy on decent wages out constantly.

McGeady, hasn't really shown enough, I'd show him the door.

Pienaar, getting on a bit, big wages.

Ins: Aaron Lennon has really surprised me, for 5m we should bring him in, my only worry is what his game will be like once his pace goes.

Cleverly looks like it's a done deal, on a free can't have too many complaints. Would love for him to come in and do well.

Another winger, Read articles of Pione Sisto tearing up Denmark and is still very young, we need an injection of youth who can develop, should be our new transfer model.

Holtby? Could be a great AM and playmaker.

Outs KONE, 6m wasted, he's 32, simply not good enough, let's hope Martinez has the bottle to pull the plug.

Ins: Ings would be a great signing, I think he is a great player who can develop. Compensastion fee set by tribunal as he's leaving on a free and under 24.

Thoughts?

Big boy. Do I see similarities between Lennon and Pienaar - yes because they both work hard for the team when we don't have the ball. Do I see similarities between Mirallas and Lennon - no. Therefore my whole point is.... Out wide I see Lennon as Pienaars replacement and not Mirallas.

So you are happy with replacing the defensive qualities and that's it? Do you think that's what we have mostly lacked from Pienaar's contribution this season? His defensive workrate?

It'll interesting to see what happens if Rangers get back in the SPL regarding Naismith's future. He could be a realistic 'marquee' signing for them. At the right price I think he'd be available.

i couldn't agree more! naisy had a great season, but he just doesn't fit our style of play. if RM decides to keep him as backup striker i'm fine with that. super sub and cup games, great. but he is worth some money now after a great season, so we should be smart and capitalize. sentiment is nice and all, but we have to be business saavy.

why? Surely they will be Queen of the South in the first match, then agaisnt old Stubbs Hibs side could go either way. And against Motherwell I don't see why not. I could see Hibs or Rangers coming up.

They've not beaten QOS since last August: drawn one and lost two since then scoring one and conceding six; they'll do very well to come up.

why? Surely they will be Queen of the South in the first match, then agaisnt old Stubbs Hibs side could go either way. And against Motherwell I don't see why not. I could see Hibs or Rangers coming up.

Queen of the South have already beaten Rangers twice this season, so it's no formality that Rangers would get the win.

QotS results against Rangers this year (with most recent quoted first):

QofS 3-0 Rangers

Rangers 1-1 QotS

QotS 2-0 Rangers

Rangers 4-2 QotS

The only defeat was in August last year.

Their record against Hibs is more evenly matched:

Hibs 0-1 QotS

QotS 0-2 Hibs

Hibs 0-0 QotS

QotS 1-0 Hibs

So, based on the season, and especially on more recent results, I'd say that Queen of the South have a decent chance of making that second promotion spot.

So, based on the season, and especially on more recent results, I'd say that Queen of the South have a decent chance of making that second promotion spot.

Except it's not a promotion slot, it's a play off v Motherwell slot; and that's a difficult result to call whoever qualifies for it. Personally I'd be happy if QOS or Hibs get it, Queens because they're the underdog and Hibs because Stubbsy's there.

Or Motherwell, because they're not Rangers.

To be honest, that's exactly why I would starr him. Worst case, he exhausts the defence with his runs and workrate for a young, quick striker to exploit and if he actually gets a chance he can finish. I think the only reason we've not seen him recently is because he ran himself ragged for the first 2/3rds of the season and his performances dropped due to fatigue.

That's why I would personally like to see him as a substitute he's not got the out and out ability to constantly cause other teams trouble but as you said his running and tireless effort can he's ideal to bring on for the last 30 mins or so when teams could be slightly fatigued

Plus I think our dynamic changes when he's on we don't seem as fluid nit that we've seen much of that this season like but I'd like to see Kev used behind Rom more pace fluidity and attacking threat we have Mccarthy and Co to do the dirty work we'd end up with to many workman like players whilst sacrificing flair etc

Except it's not a promotion slot, it's a play off v Motherwell slot; and that's a difficult result to call whoever qualifies for it. Personally I'd be happy if QOS or Hibs get it, Queens because they're the underdog and Hibs because Stubbsy's there.

Or Motherwell, because they're not Rangers.

well there you go, that's what i get for not looking at the head to heads. I'm rooting for Hibs to win and beat motherwell, Would love to see stubbs do well in the SPL as well.

That's why I would personally like to see him as a substitute he's not got the out and out ability to constantly cause other teams trouble but as you said his running and tireless effort can he's ideal to bring on for the last 30 mins or so when teams could be slightly fatigued

Plus I think our dynamic changes when he's on we don't seem as fluid nit that we've seen much of that this season like but I'd like to see Kev used behind Rom more pace fluidity and attacking threat we have Mccarthy and Co to do the dirty work we'd end up with to many workman like players whilst sacrificing flair etc

To be honest, either scenario makes sense which is a positive. Completely agree with you in any case :)

So you are happy with replacing the defensive qualities and that's it? Do you think that's what we have mostly lacked from Pienaar's contribution this season? His defensive workrate?

His defensive support definitely but also his ball retention, link-up play and general balance to the system. Lennon offers these qualities with the added bonus of his pace too. I haven't agreed with much (if anything) of what MC's said but I see the Pienaar/Lennon similarities.

I see Pienaar as a player that receives the ball in a standing position and either moves the ball on fast or turns sharply.

His mind os light years ahead of his body.

I see Lennon as more of a headless chicken with pace tp burn. Effective but in a completely different way.

Lennon always chases back with bis pace, while Pienaar just doesn't get forward as much so seems to be in the middle more....i am sure that he used to get slated for his lack of defensive effort too.

I see Pienaar as a player that receives the ball in a standing position and either moves the ball on fast or turns sharply.

His mind os light years ahead of his body.

I see Lennon as more of a headless chicken with pace tp burn. Effective but in a completely different way.

Lennon always chases back with bis pace, while Pienaar just doesn't get forward as much so seems to be in the middle more....i am sure that he used to get slated for his lack of defensive effort too.

Never! always been a hard working player has Pienaar

Seeing as last summer Martinez said he wanted to bring 6 or 7 new players in last summer and didn't, with him saying he wants two or three this summer I'm expecting just the one new signing. And for it probably to be Tom Cleverley. Which will make everyone happy I don't own a gun :lol:.