IGNORED

Cricket Thread

13 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Traitor, you'll be the first up against the wall come the revolution:shakingfist:.

Good price though, I said a while back that I expected the top four would include NZ but that they were the underdog after the top three. If I had them at 12-1 I'd still want England to win but have a decent consolation if it didn't happen.

Well if New Zealand win you can drowned your sorrows on me, but in reality you will be happy and going thirsty.

England destroyed Australia's batting today and in our innings we didn't get out of 2nd gear, God knows what happened to the Australians but one thing's for sure there going to be in for some stick back home.

8 hours ago, MikeO said:

I'm so sad for them😂.

Hahaha. Actually, I'm happy. The teams who haven't won a WC in their cricket history are going compete now and we are going to see a new champion. Im bored of seeing the same teams lifting the cup over the years. Obviously, ENG are favorites but we shouldn't take NZ for granted

1 minute ago, MikeO said:

Creeping up towards 10 an over needed, we won't get those on this pitch, have to at least play some shots now, we've got wickets in hand.

Exactly we have got to take chances can’t let the overs run down without going for it with all those wickets in hand, Butler gone time to slog it around now. 

Hard not to like NZ. Feel for them. But so pleased for England. Enormous pressure. Enormous resilience. Stokes becomes a hero after WI debacle. That was a magnificent game. The game needs to grow now: more countries needed. Sport at its finest. 

2 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Wow, I thought it had gone after the wide and the six. Astounding finish, feel for NZ, particularly after that flukey six we got towards the end. I'd given up before that.

I agree mate the Cricketing Gods were with us today, so tough for NZ there’s no words that can console them for that finish. 

4 hours ago, kushagra29 said:

How many of u felt the ICC rule of "Deciding a match winner with the help of boundaries hit when a super-over is tied" is unfair?

Yes I can sympathise with NZ because it does seem a bit random. You could actually justify awarding the win to the side who hit fewer boundaries as that would suggest their all round batting was better. The side that lost fewer wickets would also seem a fairer method I'd have thought but I'll take it the way it is for now:D.

I don't suppose a huge amount of thought went into it because the likelihood of the situation actually happening was so massively remote.

5 hours ago, kushagra29 said:

How many of u felt the ICC rule of "Deciding a match winner with the help of boundaries hit when a super-over is tied" is unfair?

Apparently, this rule was introduced by Allen Stanford the (jailed) tycoon who introduced it in 2008 for his T20 series.

Just now, sibdane said:

If it feels like a draw to an American then you know something's wrong!

We also got incredibly lucky with the four fluke runs in the final over, without those we'd have lost. Eminent ex-umpire Simon Taufel in Oz suggesting a mistake was made and we got one run more than we should've done so again would likely have lost.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/world-cup-umps-got-it-wrong-taufel-20190715-p527g9.html

23 minutes ago, MikeO said:

We also got incredibly lucky with the four fluke runs in the final over, without those we'd have lost. Eminent ex-umpire Simon Taufel in Oz suggesting a mistake was made and we got one run more than we should've done so again would likely have lost.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/world-cup-umps-got-it-wrong-taufel-20190715-p527g9.html

Interesting that.

I started following it this time around and plan to pay more attention in the future. A gas station I stop at on a regular basis is owned by an Indian family, and one of the guys who works there was constantly watching/listening/talking about it, and it sparked my interest.

1 hour ago, sibdane said:

Interesting that.

I started following it this time around and plan to pay more attention in the future. A gas station I stop at on a regular basis is owned by an Indian family, and one of the guys who works there was constantly watching/listening/talking about it, and it sparked my interest.

The guys from the Indian sub-continent are crazy about the game, they create an amazing atmosphere. Top players in India are idolised like very few other sports people in the World; cricket even transcends religion over there I believe, which is saying something!

2 hours ago, MikeO said:

Just recovered!!! What a game. should have been given 5 not 6 for the overthrow as we had only ran one at the time the NZ threw the ball in and batsman hadn’t crossed on their second run. Strange as they deliberated for a while about it and no experts immediately picked up the mistake. Still who knows what would have happened if it would have been 5. 

9 minutes ago, barryj said:

Just recovered!!! What a game. should have been given 5 not 6 for the overthrow as we had only ran one at the time the NZ threw the ball in and batsman hadn’t crossed on their second run. Strange as they deliberated for a while about it and no experts immediately picked up the mistake. Still who knows what would have happened if it would have been 5. 

Thinking about it the rule is...

Law 19.8 - overthrow or wilful act of fielder:

If the boundary results from an overthrow or from the wilful act of a fielder, the runs scored shall be:

-any runs for penalties awarded to either side;
-the allowance for the boundary; and
-the runs completed by the batsmen, together with the run in progress if they had already crossed at the instant of the throw or act.

Think the two key bits for me are in bold.

First, it didn't result from a "wilful act of a fielder" and second (crucially imo), if the measure is always taken from when the throw is made there's absolutely no need for "or act" to be added at the end of the rule. The "act" that caused the situation was the ball hitting Stokes' bat when they'd long since crossed.

52 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Thinking about it the rule is...

Law 19.8 - overthrow or wilful act of fielder:

If the boundary results from an overthrow or from the wilful act of a fielder, the runs scored shall be:

-any runs for penalties awarded to either side;
-the allowance for the boundary; and
-the runs completed by the batsmen, together with the run in progress if they had already crossed at the instant of the throw or act.

Think the two key bits for me are in bold.

First, it didn't result from a "wilful act of a fielder" and second (crucially imo), if the measure is always taken from when the throw is made there's absolutely no need for "or act" to be added at the end of the rule. The "act" that caused the situation was the ball hitting Stokes' bat when they'd long since crossed.

Can’t be as the act has to be from a fielder of which Stokes clearly isn’t. The ‘act’ part is just a cover all for a an-unusual event eg a kick etc 

it was a wrong call but I’m not complaining! I’d it was the other way round however......

The other big incident was just as crucial. Had the NZ fielder been switched on he would have ensured he released the ball before stepping backwards saving 4 runs or better (for NZ) threw it to his team mate for a catch.