IGNORED

Cricket Thread

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

Well that told them! I thought once we'd got past about 260/270 yestreday we could roll them over but I didn't expect them to only get 38:huh:.

Still; going to be a lot harder from here on.

The way we collapse after a wicket goes down is a huge worry. Australia won’t be as forgiving as Ireland, they’ll have their foot on our throats and won’t let up. 

2 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

The way we collapse after a wicket goes down is a huge worry. Australia won’t be as forgiving as Ireland, they’ll have their foot on our throats and won’t let up. 

Im not sure the answer is out there in test cricket though? I dont watch enough county cricket to say who is or isnt any good but each person they put in plays as bad as the last one. 

I do think Roy deserves a go but he will never score big runs (150+) and he is capable of getting out off any delivery. 

England batting poor again.  Fourth highest scorer (so far) is 'extras' with 23.     Leach has got to come back in for Ali, he should never have been dropped for this test.  Bairstow needs a rest.  His batting has disappeared and there are better wicket keepers out there.

55 minutes ago, johnh said:

England batting poor again.  Fourth highest scorer (so far) is 'extras' with 23.     Leach has got to come back in for Ali, he should never have been dropped for this test.  Bairstow needs a rest.  His batting has disappeared and there are better wicket keepers out there.

Woakes and Broad doing the biz now though, 64 for the 8th wicket (and counting), could make all the difference.

2 hours ago, johnh said:

Before both of their dismissals Sky showed some stats. Moeens average over the last few games is terrible and Bairstow gets bowled far too often for an elite cricketer (not that he did that this time). It was a stupid shot he tried to play though. 

Both sides look like they have a lot of holes in their batting lineup that you could see several big collapses through team series! 

28 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Before both of their dismissals Sky showed some stats. Moeens average over the last few games is terrible and Bairstow gets bowled far too often for an elite cricketer (not that he did that this time). It was a stupid shot he tried to play though. 

Both sides look like they have a lot of holes in their batting lineup that you could see several big collapses through team series

Can we have one now please?

Not watching it live but just seen the replay of Warner getting out. Firstly how did the umpire fail to see the edge (umpiring has been dire all match)? Secondly why didn't Warner walk? Bloody obvious he was out and he knew it; golden opportunity to help lose the "cheat" label but he blew it.

3 hours ago, MikeO said:

Woakes and Broad doing the biz now though, 64 for the 8th wicket (and counting), could make all the difference.

I think we would have settled for a 90 run first innings lead before the start but 5 of our batsmen got 41 runs between them. The lead could have been 200 or more.

3 minutes ago, johnh said:

I think we would have settled for a 90 run first innings lead before the start but 5 of our batsmen got 41 runs between them. The lead could have been 200 or more.

Agree completely, and who would've made Rory Burns the main man pre-match? Roughly nobody.

19 hours ago, johnh said:

You can see it now.  England will be bowled out for under 200 - unless it rains.

80 odd for 4 at lunch.   I played a bit of cricket but was a hopeless batsman.  I never, ever, played as bad a shot as Roy did today.

5 hours ago, johnh said:

We have no openers, our middle-order can only play the short-form of the game and we have no spinners.

We were also missing our top three bowlers - Wood, Archer and Anderson. Ali is hopelessly out of form and should have been dropped. Main problem, though, is mental toughness. They were ahead days 1-3, then fell apart. It's a common failing. 

4 hours ago, MikeO said:

Rory Burns 133 in the first innings? That obviously didn't live long in your memory John.

I think he led a very charmed life to get that score. Got out to a good ball today though.

That "shot" of Roy's though! All over the place and not even close to the ball.

I dont see us getting to 50 without loss let alone 100.

3 hours ago, Formby said:

We were also missing our top three bowlers - Wood, Archer and Anderson. Ali is hopelessly out of form and should have been dropped. Main problem, though, is mental toughness. They were ahead days 1-3, then fell apart. It's a common failing. 

Denly and Bairstow too. You could look at dropping all 3 but then who comes in? No-one in first class cricket has had a decent average over a period of time. Ballance looks better now but he failed a lot at test level.

11 hours ago, Bailey said:

Denly and Bairstow too. You could look at dropping all 3 but then who comes in? No-one in first class cricket has had a decent average over a period of time. Ballance looks better now but he failed a lot at test level.

Agree about Balance but I wouldn't go back - he is short of mental toughness at this level. I guess it shouldn't be too much of a surprise that we don't have any players to come in; the white ball game has taken over. Nobody works on defence anymore. Also, Australia have the best batter, the best spin bowler and the best fast bowler in the series, so we're up against it. A fully fit Anderson and Archer would help at Lords, but probably unlikely. I do think we need to prepare pitches which don't turn and negate Lyon.   

On 06/08/2019 at 11:05, Formby said:

Agree about Balance but I wouldn't go back - he is short of mental toughness at this level. I guess it shouldn't be too much of a surprise that we don't have any players to come in; the white ball game has taken over. Nobody works on defence anymore. Also, Australia have the best batter, the best spin bowler and the best fast bowler in the series, so we're up against it. A fully fit Anderson and Archer would help at Lords, but probably unlikely. I do think we need to prepare pitches which don't turn and negate Lyon.   

Yeh I get the point about his mentality but he was going through a tough spell and lost his game for a bit. It happens to a lot of players that aren't the very best in their field. He has clearly gone away and put in the hard work to get him back on track. When he last played for England he was in poor nick for his County and I never really understand why they do that. If your in bad form for your County why would you improve for moving up a level?

I agree on the rest too. Never fancy England at Lords anyway and I really cant see them winning this one unless Archer knocks them over for a stupidly low score!

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, MikeO said:

Seems a bit daft to me the new law that allows a sub to come in for concussion but not for any other injury, Labuschagne likely saved Oz this test while we had to play the whole game with ten men after Anderson's injury in the first one. No fair.

The easy catch dropped in the slips hasn’t helped. 

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

Seems a bit daft to me the new law that allows a sub to come in for concussion but not for any other injury, Labuschagne likely saved Oz this test while we had to play the whole game with ten men after Anderson's injury in the first one. No fair.

Was coming on to post exactly that.  When was that rule introduced? Never knew a sub could actually bat.  Anderson's injury probably cost us the first test.