IGNORED

Cricket Thread

6 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Wishing NZ even more luck now.

Going to be tough for them. Conway is out with a broken hand - did after he got dismissed against England smashing his bat into the ground. 

Seriously can’t stand how arrogant the Aussies are and wish so bad it was a Pakistan NZ final.

I don't know why i thought cricket would be different from football or from any other walk in society but Azeem Rafiq's testimony to the DCMS was absolutely shocking. I hope all those responsible for his appalling treatment, and all those who turned a blind eye to it, are brought to account. Every time you feel the country has moved on, you realise it hasn't. I don't want to spout the usual platitudes on this topic but I can't help despairing. Is it really that hard to respect people, to treat people well, to get on, to be kind and friendly? What are these f'in morons seeing and thinking when they denigrate someone of a different skin colour, creed, sexuality, tradition, country?  

19 minutes ago, Formby said:

I don't know why i thought cricket would be different from football or from any other walk in society but Azeem Rafiq's testimony to the DCMS was absolutely shocking. I hope all those responsible for his appalling treatment, and all those who turned a blind eye to it, are brought to account. Every time you feel the country has moved on, you realise it hasn't. I don't want to spout the usual platitudes on this topic but I can't help despairing. Is it really that hard to respect people, to treat people well, to get on, to be kind and friendly? What are these f'in morons seeing and thinking when they denigrate someone of a different skin colour, creed, sexuality, tradition, country?  

Heartily agree, it really is very shocking. With the history and tradition the game has on the Indian subcontinent and in the West Indies you'd have put a fair amount of money on it being, of all sports, above this garbage.

20 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Very much so, if you look hard and deep enough most people will have something that they’ve said which isn’t PC, and as a 62 year old male I include myself in that group not that I’m proud of it because I’m not, but I was brought up in a time were institutionalised racism was the norm and seen as part of every day life and even broadcast on TV into our front rooms.  

6 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

You'll struggle to find a single person that's never said anything racist in their lives.

Just now, Palfy said:

Agreed mate I was writing the same thing as you posted. 

True enough probably if you're of our generation Palf but that comment was ten only years ago; and "people in glass houses.." springs to mind.

Just now, MikeO said:

True enough probably if you're of our generation Palf but that comment was ten only years ago; and "people in glass houses.." springs to mind.

It does spring to mind, and if I was a racist or had racial abused someone the last thing I would be complaining about in the public domain is that someone had racial abused me, he’s completely lost my sympathy and respect, he’s proved to be no better than people he has condemned as being racist, you reap what you sow, wtf goes through some peoples heads is beyond me. 

Without meaning to start a conversation about what is "bad" racism and what is poor judgement I think, having seen what Rafiq posted, that what he said was actually worse than what he later received. It was consciously racist while I think what he received was ignorant/thoughtless racism rather than stuff done with intent (making no excuses for those that did it).

4 minutes ago, Btay said:

How could the woman say it was "unwelcome" and "unsolicited" and then the investigation find the interaction "consensual"?

31 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

How could the woman say it was "unwelcome" and "unsolicited" and then the investigation find the interaction "consensual"?

The whole thing seems very suspect. I’m pretty cricket Australia have swept this under the cover with all the Smith/Warner ball tampering business.  

Now I don’t know if this is their way of pushing Paine out of the team. Not sure really, it’s a mess.

13 hours ago, MikeO said:

Without meaning to start a conversation about what is "bad" racism and what is poor judgement I think, having seen what Rafiq posted, that what he said was actually worse than what he later received. It was consciously racist while I think what he received was ignorant/thoughtless racism rather than stuff done with intent (making no excuses for those that did it).

Very hard to qualify the boundaries between ignorance and intent. Rafiq's views on Jews are pretty widespread in the Pakistani community. I say that as someone who has worked with, for, and is connected by marriage and children to Pakistanis the last twenty-five years. Every country and community has issues to deal with. We must all do better.  

• 3 weeks later...

Root is either very stupid or he realises he has a poor bowling attack. I can think of no other reasons why you’d choose to bat first on this pitch. He must’ve then forgotten that he also has a shite batting line-up though - I’ll be surprised if they manage to put a big score up against a quality Aussie bowling attack all series tbh.

Englands Test side really isn’t good at all.