IGNORED

Middlesbrough - League Cup Quarter final

MikeO

OK - let me use an analogy. You're a sales guy who sells tyres to Ford. They buy tyres from four different suppliers, including your company. For the last few years, you've managed to win between 10% and 15% of their tyre business, and you hope to improve on that. It takes effort, investment in QA, and so on. Your goal is to win 20% of their business. For sales to Ford, you earn 1% in commission - which translates to $10K per percentage of their business you win. In other words, for each percentage increase, you earn another $10K a year.

Someone tells you about this bicycle company that's in the news. They are seeking a sole-supplier deal: all or nothing. If you win the deal, you hit the papers for a day or two, but you'll earn only $1K in commission.

What sales guy in his right mind would put his principal source of income in jeopardy in order to win something that generates so little commission? He might ask a student intern to work on it, and spend some time providing advice, but it's no big deal whether he wins or loses. A mention in the papers for a day or two is no compensation for losing a significant sum in total commission.

Football teams are no different. They are businesses. Everything they do is geared toward making more money. Yes, brand (i.e., supporters) is important, so you take them into account, but only in as much as they help you generate more money. In business, it's essential you keep your focus. You can't win everything, so you must prioritize - and the criterion used to establish priorities is potential profit.

Does that help?

The only debate should be whether Roberto should start his "best team" (no changes) at Middlesbrough if that best 11 win 3 days earlier at Bournemouth. The issue in this scenario is straightforward: can all outfield players who log 75-95 minutes at Bournemouth get sufficient rest in 3 days. Travel is a small factor, too.

Presumably if Everton lose at Bournemouth, most on TT would not oppose a few changes for the Middlesbrough match. Indeed, I'd guess most on TT would demand several changes, perhaps starting with a new manager...... (An exception might be if Everton outclass Bournemouth, but lose or draw because of a couple of howler goals let in by our GK. In that case, many might say, keep everything the same, but change the GK.)

For me, if our squad are almost all healthy and "match fit," I'd think Roberto could make 3-4 changes from Bournemouth to Middlesbrough, and Everton should win both matches, solidly. Should.

If you just want a trophy, I'll spend 50 bucks and buy you one. There are trophies and then there are trophies - meaningful, worthwhile trophies. This trophy wins us a pittance financially. There's a reason why Bradford beat Chelsea 4-0 and Wednesday beat Arsenal 3-0. They would prefer to lose because the cost of dropping one place in the league is more than 10x the prize money of this trophy.

Honestly, I still don't get why everyone's so hung up about this. The big teams laugh at this trophy, and they play their reserves. Sure, we can go all out to win, but not if it costs us one or two positions in the league.

Chelsea and Arsenal are both very successful sides who have won plenty of trophies and who both have bigger fish to fry so its a poor comparison

We haven't won a thing for over 20 years, we cant afford to turn our noses up at any form of success, its as simple as that

Could be, but I'm so football mad I want us to play every week haha.

I think we should hit every option to get back into Europe.

Be it back door or by automatic league place I don't care.

Always been of the same opinion in the past but I'm wavering.

I'd still like to win the cup mind (not that we will); can we refuse the Europa place? Not that we would.

Chelsea and Arsenal are both very successful sides who have won plenty of trophies and who both have bigger fish to fry so its a poor comparison

We haven't won a thing for over 20 years, we cant afford to turn our noses up at any form of success, its as simple as that

Of course, I'm exaggerating my argument in order to play devil's advocate. I agree that, after a long drought, winning any silverware would be very welcome. It may be an intangible, but a fired-up fan base would be great to see. Today's report reveals how attendance has shot up, which is great, and winning a trophy would continue that trend - and bring income because of the extra games.

My point, of course, is that league position should always remain the biggest priority. Again, today's results reveal all too clearly the financial impact of dropping a few positions in the table.

With RM poor man management of Bournemouth looking to save players for this match I fully expect a victory here.

Robles

Coleman stones Mori baines

McCarthy Gibson

Gerry Barkley mirallas

Lukaku

Super subs Naisy Lennon clev

I would be happy if he fielded that side however I think he will put out a reserve side again

I would be happy if he fielded that side however I think he will put out a reserve side again

I agree dunc it think in actuality it will be

Robles

Browning stones Mori Galloway

McCarthy Gibson

Lennon Osman mirallas

Naisy

Subs - baines Lukaku (cause we'll be down) Gerry (cause we'll still be down)

Sadly I think the above will play.

I agree dunc it think in actuality it will be

Robles

Browning stones Mori Galloway

McCarthy Gibson

Lennon Osman mirallas

Naisy

Subs - baines Lukaku (cause we'll be down) Gerry (cause we'll still be down)

Sadly I think the above will play.

I would be absolutely flabbergasted if McCarthy is even in the squad for this one.

For this game we can make changes and still have a strong team.

I'm thinking Jimmy Mac is injured so gibbo or besic the others we could use are baines if fit mirallas and Naismith.

I'm thinking kone and Galloway need a rest.

Spot on patto. Kone needs a rest, Galloway too, I'd even rest Barry so he can make it the whole campaign. The rest of the lads are young and able.

I'll guess it will be. --

Robles

Coleman Stones Funes Mori Baines

Gibson Besic

Lennon Naismith Mirallas

Lukaku

Howard, Deulofeu, Osman, Barkley, Galloway, McGeady, Browning

Clearly not our first choice 11, but there's solid talent all through those starters, and should win. I will be very, very disappointed if Mirallas doesn't start. No Kone, period, for this one, Happy to see Deulofeu on at 60-70 minutes for Lennon, but he needs a little rest. Also, no Osman starting, please. Obviously can't be sure about Baines, so I guess I'm saying I hope he's "match fit.""

Edited by Elston Gunnn

We need to win to get rid of the stench from weekend. Got to play a full strength team. If McCarthy isn't fit I'd play clev or basic I don't think gibbo and Barry would be good as the two "sitters". Baines to start and definitely keep Gerry in.

I have to assume there is absolute unanimity that the stench lingers, and will only be (partially) removed with a win tomorrow eve.

The question now is, who are the strongest 11, for Tuesday night? Is Kone or Mirallas the stronger on the left? Is either McCarthy or Barry likely to be as strong as Gibson and Besic? For that matter, will either McCarthy or Barry even pass a fitness test? Would the inclusion of Lennon mean RM is fielding a weaker team?

I have posted repeatedly that we should get the ball to Deulofeu "over and over and over." But I think he's more likely to be effective playing 30 minutes than 70-95, so Lennon on the right strikes me as a good choice to start.

I have to assume there is absolute unanimity that the stench lingers, and will only be (partially) removed with a win tomorrow eve.

The question now is, who are the strongest 11, for Tuesday night? Is Kone or Mirallas the stronger on the left? Is either McCarthy or Barry likely to be as strong as Gibson and Besic? For that matter, will either McCarthy or Barry even pass a fitness test? Would the inclusion of Lennon mean RM is fielding a weaker team?

I have posted repeatedly that we should get the ball to Deulofeu "over and over and over." But I think he's more likely to be effective playing 30 minutes than 70-95, so Lennon on the right strikes me as a good choice to start.

I get what you mean about Gerry but I think he needs to know he is the first man on the team sheet. Give him the ball from the off .