IGNORED

Martinez - Direction?

MC11

Do you guys have a lot of fat guys in shorts over there? Here its like its own genus and species.

Erm. Urm. Possibly?! There's plenty of fat guys. Not as many as over there, but we are doing a good job of catching up.

I've got mine on today. Lovely day. I'm not a fat bastard though...well, not yet but if I keep eating all this shit and keep skipping gym sessions...I'll soon be there!!!

Where next for Roberto? Not sure. I think he needs to re assess his values and realise they don't work here. If he can do that, he can still be a top manager as he does have many favourable attributes.

If he can't see his flaws, he's fucked and will be better off with a behind the scenes job where he'll do a good job.

Its fine man. I still love you, no worries. Pints your way if I ever visit that small island you fuckin wankers live on.

Here is an idea though: would you be against a specific thread that was devoted to JUST video regarding EFC? Either newsclips, Toffee TV, other fan stuff. etc? I know that there is a fanbase for that stuff here (besides me) and it wouldn't pollute the other proper threads. Just an idea.

I'll put it to the committee :).

The sooner he's out the side the better. A major problem in an awful system. Does little much of nothing. Always has.

Bullshit. Our huge downturn in form coincided directly with McCarthy getting injured in November 14 - he didn't play again until February if memory serves right, and we went from playing breath-taking football to utter dirge in that period.

This season, the great win at Southampton early season, smashing Chelsea, completely outplaying the shite...then McCarthy gets injured again, and we started to fall apart.

Now I'm no crstal-ball gazer, I don't know who will come in and what they will make of our midfield, but McCarthy was central to all the good football we played under Martinez - and yes, I wanted him out months ago, but we did play some fantastic stuff under him. McCarthy was always the insurance policy for his reckless disregard of defense, McCarthy at his best was tireless, he would cover both full backs when they pushed forward, he was Barry's legs, and he won us games with his tackling and reading of the game. Without him in the side, that cover gone, we became a team that threw away leads like confetti.

Has he been any good this last half a season? No, but who has in a blue shirt? But I really don't get the sniping at McCarthy, fans have moaned endlessly about our inability to defend, he has been a very good defender for us - yet he gets slammed for not raking 60 yard passes and smashing goals from 30 yards? Fickle doesn't even come close

Edited by nogs

Bullshit. Our huge downturn in form coincided directly with McCarthy getting injured in November 14 - he didn't play again until February if memory serves right, and we went from playing breath-taking football to utter dirge in that period.

This season, the great win at Southampton early season, smashing Chelsea, completely outplaying the shite...then McCarthy gets injured again, and we started to fall apart.

Now I'm no crstal-ball gazer, I don't know who will come in and what they will make of our midfield, but McCarthy was central to all the good football we played under Martinez - and yes, I wanted him out months ago, but we did play some fantastic stuff under him. McCarthy was always the insurance policy for his reckless disregard of defense, McCarthy at his best was tireless, he would cover both full backs when they pushed forward, he was Barry's legs, and he won us games with his tackling and reading of the game. Without him in the side, that cover gone, we became a team that threw away leads like confetti.

Has he been any good this last half a season? No, but who has in a blue shirt? But I really don't get the sniping at McCarthy, fans have moaned endlessly about our inability to defend, he has been a very good defender for us - yet he gets slammed for not raking 60 yard passes and smashing goals from 30 yards? Fickle doesn't even come close

Agree with the mahority of this. Unfortunately of late he's just not shown up....but as you've said, who has?

In all seriousness, what does Martinez have at this point that would interest other clubs? His track record isn't exactly glowing at this point. And when you look at the stats as well, umm, well, you know. So if you were a chairman and looked at him, what would be going through your mind to want to take him on board? Would his tikki/takki possession and soft defense work in another league? I would think even in La Liga teams like the big daddio's would eat him for lunch, crap him out, and let the dogs finish it. Enjoy your meal.

I stopped reading at "Breathtaking football". Maybe you should actually watch us.

And in 13/14, it was when he was rested for the "easy" home game v Palace that our chances of 4th took a huge hit. Widely viewed as a big mistake at the time.

the same Palace Martinez failed to beat at Goodison every season?

The be all and all is that this player got huge credit for doing pretty much nothing. The partnership with Barry was a hindrance as they are both limited going forward more so McCarthy. As for the projection of a tough tackling defender... Bollocks. The guy stands of more than anyone. He's probably the best jockyer in football.

Hopefully the new manager will put some "footballers" in the middle.

I'm not having that at all, when we have played well it's been with McCarthy in the side. In Martinez first season when Coleman was so good, it was down to his partnership with McCarthy. Coleman pushed forward, McCarthy covered for him. He covered that much ground there were all kinds of memes being posted on Twitter and Facebook about how good he was. He was just as good last season, at the start of this season when we were playing so well it was with McCarthy in the team. When he got injured against Bounemouth we were 2-0 up, and since then we were rubbish. He came back in the side and we won a few again but he could regain his form, the same as everyone else in the side.

The lads job is to stop the other team and to retain possession, do people expect him to be scoring every other week and zipping 40 yard passes around like he's Steven Gerrard? He's not that player. No one expected it from Makelelle, so why from McCarthy?

The notion that Besic could be a better job is just terrifying IMO, that lad can barely pass a ball 20 yards without giving it away, yet he boasts that he doesn't always make a tackle and that he's better going forward.

If you want McCarthy out of the team then it needs be because we've brought in a better player, we have no one in the squad who can do better right now.

He has never been a goal scorer nor zipped 40 yard passes around so I doubt anyone has ever expected him to suddenly start doing that

He was excellent at breaking up play and his best asset was his pace and energy, we all loved that about him

Unfortunately he ran a into injury problems with his hamstrings and has not been the same player since

Technically he is lite years behind Besic, who I have my doubts about, but I still think offers way more than Mccarthy

If you compare the McCarthy from the first season to Besic then he wins all hands down but he simply isn't that player anymore

He has never been a goal scorer nor zipped 40 yard passes around so I doubt anyone has ever expected him to suddenly start doing that

He was excellent at breaking up play and his best asset was his pace and energy, we all loved that about him

Unfortunately he ran a into injury problems with his hamstrings and has not been the same player since

Technically he is lite years behind Besic, who I have my doubts about, but I still think offers way more than Mccarthy

If you compare the McCarthy from the first season to Besic then he wins all hands down but he simply isn't that player anymore

Great post completely agree

Are we to apply the logic that all players previous seasons performances should be erased based on latter ones???

Mccarthy was absolutely brilliant in our record points season. He was like a one man pressing machine. Whatever has happened I do not know. Is it fitness or injury? He's lost that superhuman fitness that he had.

Martinez statement

It has been an honour to be the manager of Everton Football Club for the past three seasons. I am clearly disappointed that we wont be able to finish what we started and I feel that the forthcoming transfer window would have been significantly important for many reasons.

"I will treasure this period as Everton manager forever the memories of reaching a club record 72 points tally in the Premier League, reaching the final 16 of the Europa League and the excitement of reaching the semi-finals of both domestic cups this season.

"I express my gratitude to Chairman Bill Kenwright, who understood and supported my vision and who gave me the privilege of becoming an Evertonian. My sincere thanks also go to my players who have been an inspiration to work with, my assistant Graeme Jones, the Everton Board and all of the staff who work for this magnificent club, especially those at Evertons Finch Farm training ground for their tireless help and support on a daily basis.

"I appreciate that over the last eight weeks our league results havent been up to the levels that we would expect. However, over the past three years the support the fans have given to me and the team has been inspiring.

"I know that the team and the fans will react well against Norwich today and I wish everyone the best of luck for 3 points which would match last season's League points tally.

"Finally I would like to congratulate Tim Howard on his outstanding contribution and career at the club. Tim has been an incredible ambassador for Everton and I wish him well for his future in the MLS."

- See more at: http://www.leaguemanagers.com/news/lma-latest/roberto-martinez-statement/#sthash.jjZ5qjoQ.dpuf

Edited by MC11

The one thing that worries me about that statement, and the outside public view actually, us this continuous mention of recent results being why he was sacked. Actually, I'd like to think that it was 2 years of underachievement that lead to his sacking...recent results were just the cherry on top.

Another thing about Martinez. Since his sacking, many people in and around football have spoke about him. Not a bad word to say about him as a person. It makes it hard to believe these stories of fall outs etc. But hey ho, the ship has sailed!

I never said I wanted shut of McCarthy, I just posted what I was told ?

My thoughts are he has been shit because of the system we play, look at the amount of shots we concede, look at the way we don't press around our own area and stand off opposition players we slways have a huge void between our penalty area and midway through our own half because we drop so deep.

Basically Martinez tactics have contributed to McCarthys dip in form imo.

....the stuff being thrown at McCarthy can be said of most players on the pitch.

Who in recent months has made you really feel proud of their performances? Lennon maybe. Bits of Barry. No one else really.

They are shot of confidence. Don't look fit enough for a full on 90. Don't press. Lack hunger. Don't seem to know what they are supposed to be doing.

I suppose that's how Martinez gets sacked.

I'll hold back overly criticising one player when the lot have been way below par. Get a new guy in, they can all start again.

Genuine question, did you not rate him in his first season?

I've never rated him bar a couple of performances. There is absolutely nothing in his game. He is honestly the most overrated player I've ever seen in a blue shirt. My mates United fans and Liverpool fans laugh at those who say he's good. He's dogshite. Passes sideways (no vision), stands off his man and jockeys rather than making calculated challenges. He's always there to lose his balance in dangerous areas.

Needs to be shown the door with Martinez

Genuine question, did you not rate him in his first season?

I did, and he booked nice results didn't he? It just gave me the impression that he is one of those managers who has nice strategies and a nice game play, but forgets to drill in the basics of football and disciplin. So once your tactics are figured out, you have nothing to fall back on and Everton just collapsed. The only reason why we're not in relegation areas is due to the sheer class of players the club has. Martinez had nearly 2 years to figure it out and he couldn't, so, that was bad.

I'm afraid that the interest in De Boer would be a reactionary response. It's like the board acknowledges that there wasn't enough disciplin and concentration on the pitch. But I hope they won't lose sight of the fact that strategic brilliance is also what sets a great manager apart from an average one.

MThe whole backroom team he has is an absolte joke. Graham Jones and Denis Lawrence, it's a league one coaching team that and I'm deadly serious.

Denis Lawrence defensive coach of Everton FC he must have woke up every morning looked in the mirror and slapped himself to make sure it wasn't a dream.

The man shouldn't be allowed withing a mile of our players.

I know, right? Perhaps in someone'e memoirs at some point.

Towards the end of the article it talks about our "attacking quality" - I guess I must have been watching the wrong team lately, I don't see that quality anywhere on the pitch these days.

MThe whole backroom team he has is an absolte joke. Graham Jones and Denis Lawrence, it's a league one coaching team that and I'm deadly serious.

Denis Lawrence defensive coach of Everton FC he must have woke up every morning looked in the mirror and slapped himself to make sure it wasn't a dream.

The man shouldn't be allowed withing a mile of our players.

Will those guys go or leave when the new manager comes in, or is it too early to say?