IGNORED

A Short Essay on Why an American loves Everton

Throw in Landon Donovan to add to reason #3 and those are almost exactly my reasons for picking Everton as well. As a Yank it's hard to talk football with quite a few because everyone here "loves" Barca or ManU or Chelsea. Love this Club and have never regretted it (ok maybe a little this season). Good story Keith

I have been thinking about explaining my support for Everton for a little while so I thought I'd go ahead and take a shot.

Growing up in the 1980-90s in the United States, you aren't born with soccer like you are in England. Picking a side isn't as simple as supporting the side your father supported. My family history, at least as I know it (or frankly don't know it), doesn't suggest anything. My surname (Boyea) is French, but that isn't particularly helpful. My mother's maiden name is Smith, which suggests some sort of English history, but again, the genealogy is obscure.

I played soccer as a youth player, like a lot of Americans do, but I moved to a very small town when I was in the 8th grade. There wasn't a soccer program in the small town so I played American football, baseball, basketball and ran track. I wasn't very good at much of it. I followed the US Men's soccer team in World Cup matches and maybe some qualifying matches when they were on television. The premiere league was just not on my radar.

I graduated from college in 2002 and can remember that summer watching the US team make their best run in the World Cup they'd ever made. But I entered the active duty military in that year and didn't really follow again until the world cup in 2006. That was not a good year for the US.

It sort of stayed that way for me for awhile--getting interested in the World Cup but not really following up on that interest. I would say that some part of that was that I couldn't watch the EPL or La Liga on TV at the time. In 2010, Landon Donovan scored that fabulous goal against Algeria to secure the round of 16. I remember that moment very specifically. It was about 10 a.m. on the east coast of the US and man it was great.

In the run up to the 2014 world cup, NBC (a US broadcaster) started showing the odd EPL match. I watched as many of them as I could. And I loved them. Then the World Cup was on again. The 2014 World Cup was an event for me. I took days off of work to make sure I could watch US matches and I watched as many of the matches that were not the US as I could.

So after the 2014 WC, I knew I needed more soccer in my life. So I took a look through my options in the EPL. I picked Everton for the following reasons (no particular order):

1.) I liked that Everton is sponsored by a cheap beer (I respect cheap beer)

2.) I love the color blue and every team I've ever played for was blue

3.) Tim Howard (and I learned later that Everton had a solid tradition of American players)

4.) It isn't a front runner side like Chelsea, Man U, Etc.

But as I learned more about the team and its history I kept falling more and more in love. Here's why:

1.) Liverpool is a working person's city

2.) It has a rich history of success

3.) Everton supporters are the best in the world.

A big regret of mine is that it took me so long to find my home with Everton. But I'm proud to be a blue now.

"Evertonians are born not manufactured

We did not choose, we were chosen

Those who understand need no explanation

Those who don't, don't matter"

You were chosen Keith.

A big regret of mine is that it took me so long to find my home with Everton. But I'm proud to be a blue now.

Yeh, you took your time getting here Keith!.........................but you do know now you are here, you can never leave.

Oh, you can try, after a bad defeat or a bad season, you can say " I think I'll take a break "................usually lasts about 24 hours.

Yeh, you took your time getting here Keith!.........................but you do know now you are here, you can never leave.

Oh, you can try, after a bad defeat or a bad season, you can say " I think I'll take a break "................usually lasts about 24 hours.

The Eagles said it better, "You can check-out any time you like, but you can never leave."

Is Chang cheap in the US? It certainly isn't over here; probably is in Thailand though.

It's pretty cheap. It usually cost me about $8/six pack (12 oz. bottles)

It's one of my favorites, so I'm surprised to see that a lot think it's bad! But I guess that's varying tasts in general for you.

It's pretty cheap. It usually cost me about $8/six pack (12 oz. bottles)

It's one of my favorites, so I'm surprised to see that a lot think it's bad! But I guess that's varying tasts in general for you.

Costs £1.99 per 660ml bottle in Tescos over here, think the only supermarket that stocks it, or three for £5.

Really can't be arsed to do all the conversions to make a comparison; hopefully someone else will :P.

Costs £1.99 per 660ml bottle in Tescos over here, think the only supermarket that stocks it, or three for £5.

Really can't be arsed to do all the conversions to make a comparison; hopefully someone else will :P.

12 fluid oz American = 355 millilitres

As a fellow Yank myself, I can attest to all of these reasons for being an Everton supporter. I get a guilty pleasure in going to bars on game days and ridiculing "bandwagon" Man Utd, Chelsea, City, Barca and Real Madrid fans. I often quiz them on the Starting 11, managers, and league position...not surprised these "diehard" fans don't know the answers to these simple questions.

Once a blue, always a blue