Hafnia

Referendum  

50 members have voted

1. 1. In or out?

• Stay in
    • Leave

This poll is closed to new votes

13 minutes ago, Matt said:

Read something earlier about British athlete Andrew Pozzi only being allowed 90 days in every six months in the EU now so can't spend the time he needs with his Italian coach. He's a top level Olympic/World level medal contender but "taking back control" has screwed him. But we can withdraw from European human rights rules now so all good.

On 30/04/2021 at 02:37, markjazzbassist said:

I didn’t know Norway wasn’t in the EU. Just went down a rabbit hole online reading why they and Switzerland refuse to join the EU.  Interesting stuff.

Which is why I don't give them as much of a hard time. 

Norway has a very good relationship with the EU with open borders and free trade, not sure about the Swiss but I would guess it’s a good relationship, I think both countries have proven that you can have nearly all the benefits of the block if you are prepared to be realistic with a bit of give and take. 
We will never see that sort of relationship with the EU whilst we have a conservative government and a leader like Johnson, so as long as things here remain as they are the worse it will get for our industries and economy, the little Englander mentality isn’t the way to try and make deals with anyone, we will only stand a chance of making something out of Brexit with the right people negotiating in a open and friendly manner, backed up by a government who recognise the world is bigger than just our own borders. 

1 hour ago, Matt said:

I'd say the Swiss relationship is friendly functional but no more. 

I wasn’t sure, you know what mate I would take that at this moment in time, but preferably the Norwegian deal, were the borders are open for migrant workers for stays as long as they want, and no tariffs on trade and they pay a fee every year to the EU for their independence in the deal. 

41 minutes ago, Palfy said:

I wasn’t sure, you know what mate I would take that at this moment in time, but preferably the Norwegian deal, were the borders are open for migrant workers for stays as long as they want, and no tariffs on trade and they pay a fee every year to the EU for their independence in the deal. 

I believe that’s because Norway is flush with oil money and wants to protect their fisheries.  The EU wants what they export so it makes sense for them.  The UK doesn’t make much, not sure what essential items the EU would need from them that could force a deal like that.  Do you have lithium mines or something valuable natural resource wise?

2 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

I believe that’s because Norway is flush with oil money and wants to protect their fisheries.  The EU wants what they export so it makes sense for them.  The UK doesn’t make much, not sure what essential items the EU would need from them that could force a deal like that.  Do you have lithium mines or something valuable natural resource wise?

I new they were flush with natural resources, I read somewhere that the government pump the revenue they receive back into the country giving the average Norwegian a very good standard of living, and that the natural gas resources are basically given to the people for free for heating ect. 
The biggest down side is the winter  it’s long and cold 🥶 

5 hours ago, Palfy said:

I new they were flush with natural resources, I read somewhere that the government pump the revenue they receive back into the country giving the average Norwegian a very good standard of living, and that the natural gas resources are basically given to the people for free for heating ect. 
The biggest down side is the winter  it’s long and cold 🥶 

Yes I read that as well, they nationalized all that oil and give it to the citizens.  What a place.  The people are living so good they won’t be mugs at the negotiating table they have everything they need already.

to your point yes Matt they have but they have given all that money to it’s citizens for decades and still do, they are want for very little there.

7 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

Yes I read that as well, they nationalized all that oil and give it to the citizens.  What a place.  The people are living so good they won’t be mugs at the negotiating table they have everything they need already.

to your point yes Matt they have but they have given all that money to it’s citizens for decades and still do, they are want for very little there.

Let’s go I think I can handle the cold 😂

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

"On Friday, Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden announced that a new frontier had been opened for British musicians who want to play live in Europe.

Thanks to "ambitious" negotiations, he said, artists and their crews can now tour without visa requirements in Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein.

The deal comes after Brexit meant performers must obtain costly permits to play in many European countries."

"Iceland's population is roughly the same as Wigan. Liechtenstein has a similar number of residents as Wilmslow," said The Charlatans frontman Tim Burgess. "If it wasn't tragic it would be funny."

You couldn't make it up.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-57387840

46 minutes ago, Bailey said:

And we get to eat beef from hormone injected cattle that would fail EU standards, not to mention the benefit to our carbon footprint from shipping it from the other side of the world. Yay for Brexit.

8 hours ago, Bailey said:

Embarrassing the amount of political time this has been given as though it’s some huge deal, which is going to change our lives. When the reality is the most it would save the average family could be £1.28 a week and add 0.2% to the country’s GDP, let’s get the champagne 🍾 out and give 40 weeks of our savings back to France. 

On 15/06/2021 at 15:23, MikeO said:

And we get to eat beef from hormone injected cattle that would fail EU standards, not to mention the benefit to our carbon footprint from shipping it from the other side of the world. Yay for Brexit.

Eating is cheating, so the cheap wine still wins! 😂

FWIW I don't see the UK reducing their food standards.

On 15/06/2021 at 22:48, Palfy said:

Embarrassing the amount of political time this has been given as though it’s some huge deal, which is going to change our lives. When the reality is the most it would save the average family could be £1.28 a week and add 0.2% to the country’s GDP, let’s get the champagne 🍾 out and give 40 weeks of our savings back to France. 

It is and it will keep coming too.

Don't get me wrong, it is good that deals are being agreed and put in place, even the continuity agreements, but what is really going to change for the majority of people? Everything needs to be seen as being a victory. Just get on with it. It is a like a social media government.

6 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Eating is cheating, so the cheap wine still wins! 😂

FWIW I don't see the UK reducing their food standards.

Growth-promoting hormones which are banned in the EU and the UK are allowed in Australia, so unless Aussie farmers suddenly stop using them it would seem we're going to.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/australia-uk-trade-deal-food-imports-b1843423.html

1 minute ago, MikeO said:

Growth-promoting hormones which are banned in the EU and the UK are allowed in Australia, so unless Aussie farmers suddenly stop using them it would seem we're going to.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/australia-uk-trade-deal-food-imports-b1843423.html

That is what I would hope would happen. If they want to sell their goods here, then they will have to raise their standards.

Australia already import meat to the UK and EU so I do not see why that would change apart from it being cheaper to do so.

https://www.mla.com.au/globalassets/mla-corporate/prices--markets/documents/os-markets/red-meat-market-snapshots/2019/mla-ms-european-union-beef-sheep-2019.pdf