• Stay in
    • Leave

This poll is closed to new votes

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Matt said:

They’ve said they will retable it. 

but it will be rejected again unless they’re mass changes to it. 

The commons can sometimes use the Parliaments act to overrule the Lord's if they want. Very rarely invoked, last time was for the hunting ban act in 2004. From memory that was only the second time it was ever used so unsure on what legal basis it's allowed.

I think its likely that the Lords would agree to the bill eventually. You don't hear of many going through this ping pong process without going through if the Commons want it to. Just because you don't hear it, it doesnt mean it doesnt happen I suppose!

On Brexit itself I am amazed they are still pushing it through at this time. It just says to me that whatever happens it will be even more splash dash than it was going to be anywhere because they are more interested in getting it done than getting it done properly.

4 hours ago, Bailey said:

I think its likely that the Lords would agree to the bill eventually. You don't hear of many going through this ping pong process without going through if the Commons want it to. Just because you don't hear it, it doesnt mean it doesnt happen I suppose!

On Brexit itself I am amazed they are still pushing it through at this time. It just says to me that whatever happens it will be even more splash dash than it was going to be anywhere because they are more interested in getting it done than getting it done properly.

Well you leavers were never going to get what you wanted, you were always going to be in a half way house, and as remainers new it would be the shit house. 

3 hours ago, Palfy said:

Well you leavers were never going to get what you wanted, you were always going to be in a half way house, and as remainers new it would be the shit house. 

I didnt vote leave for this reason, in that I couldn't trust the government to carry it out successfully. 

Now that more and more time has passed and a certain virus has changed a lot over the past few months I must admit that leaving the EU just doesn't seem important anymore. 

7 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I didnt vote leave for this reason, in that I couldn't trust the government to carry it out successfully. 

Now that more and more time has passed and a certain virus has changed a lot over the past few months I must admit that leaving the EU just doesn't seem important anymore. 

For me I care still as much about leaving the EU as I did when the country voted to leave, Covid hasn't diminished that in the slightest if anything it's added more to my concerns about leaving then before Covid was on the radar. 

On 10/11/2020 at 15:33, Bailey said:

Brexit happened earlier this year, it is done, the UK is a third country to the EU.  The only thing that is ending on december 31st is the transition period, during which UK was still in the Single Market and Customs Union.

The difference between no deal and the deal the UK wants is very small; in either case the disruption to trade and cooperation is going to be massive given the limited scope of the deal the UK is trying to get.  (it is funny (tragic?) when you compare this to the promises made by Leave in 2016).

Corona shock to the economy and brexit shock to the economy are very different.  For an explainer, read this from a brexiteer advisor of May:

'There is a valid question as to whether the sheer breadth and depth of the economic harm caused by the pandemic means that the impact of Brexit will be largely irrelevant. Indeed, some have argued that given many economic sectors are having to overhaul the way they operate due to COVID-19, doing so for Brexit as well reduces the additional impact.

But while there are elements of this argument which hold true, when you delve deeper, the reality is the two sets of economic impacts from Brexit and COVID-19 are more likely to compound each other than offset each other.'

https://www.politico.eu/article/brexit-coronavirus-uk-recession-economy-there-is-no-hiding/

Brace for 2021..

Sorry to harp on about this but I'm getting overly annoyed with the absurdity of brexit.

This is the week we're supposed to land on a trade deal.  The deal on the table is very minimal.  Both sides will take a huge economic hit from this.  Not to speak of the damage done to judicial, police, security cooperation.  EU citizens lose the right to live and work in the UK; UK citizens lose the right to live and work in 27 EU member states, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland.  Great stuff.

Meanwhile, for quite a while now, polls keep indicating UK citizens overwhelmingly think Brexit was the wrong decision.  (latest figures : 51% wrong 38% right -  it's not even close .. https://whatukthinks.org/eu/questions/in-highsight-do-you-think-britain-was-right-or-wrong-to-vote-to-leave-the-eu/).  

I guarantee you the next ten years of UK-EU relations will be spend negotiating deals which will after 10 years amount to pretty much the same relationship the EU and UK had before Brexit.  As logic and common sense demand you cooperate with your close and important neighbour. 

The futility of it all..

• 3 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, pete0 said:

“There is no plan for no deal because we're going to get a great deal.” (Boris Johnson, 11 July 2017)

Nothing to worry about then.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-45112872

It's important to remember that the WTO's "most favoured nation" rules limit room for manoeuvre in the event of no deal. 

The UK couldn't for example lower tariffs for the EU alone, in order to keep trade going. It would have to treat the rest of the world in the same way, which could lead to cheap imports flooding the UK economy, and harming domestic businesses.

I mean, of course it’ll hit the domestic businesses the most. Best of all, no one will be able to blame the EU :lol: the irony is just hilarious 

The delays at the ports are starting to impact businesses already, even companies the size of Honda with their wealth have had to shut there factory in Swindon because there parts are being held up at the ports, when the no deal which over 4 years ago was oven ready becomes official and the EU flex there muscles, tens of thousands are going to be in real peril of losing their jobs. 

2 hours ago, Matt said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-55286439

didn’t think the military would get involved this quickly :rolleyes:

"A major sticking point in negotiations has been access to UK fishing waters, with the EU warning that without access to UK waters for its fleets, UK fishermen will no longer get special access to EU markets to sell their goods."

So we want to leave the EU (we have), chuck Johnny Foreigner out of our fishing waters (Yay, Rule Britannia!) but still have preferential access to EU fish markets? Sounds fair:huh:. Bloody EU being totally unreasonble in the negotiations again:shakingfist:

• 2 weeks later...