IGNORED

Definition of a shite player

Shiteness of PL players  

13 members have voted

1. 1. What percentage of PL players are shite?

• <10%
    • 10-19%
    • 20-29%
    • 30-39%
    • 40-49%
    • 50-59%
    • 60-69%
    • 70-79%
    • 80-89%
    • 90-99%
    • All of them!
    • None or just a few.
  2. 2. How many non-shite players do midtable PL teams have?

• They are all shite and Everton should stay clear
    • Some have one decent but most are shite.
    • One or two per team.
    • About half their first eleven.
    • PL teams don't have shite players in their starting elevens. Might not be good enough for EFC, though.
  3. 3. In general which of these leagues mostly have shite players and EFC should not sign players from them (with exceptions)?

• La Liga (Spain)
    • Bundesliga (German)
    • Premier League (England)
    • Serie A (Italy)
    • Ligue 1 (France)
    • Eredivision (Netherlands)
    • Super Liga (Portugal)
    • Jupiler League (Belgium)
    • Wischa League (Ukraine)
    • Premier Liga (Russia)
    • Super League (Switzerland)
    • Super Lig (Turkey)
    • Premier League (Scotland)
    • Championship (England 2)
    • Bundesliga (Austria)
    • National Division (Greece)

Inspired by the Troy Deeney thread where once again a player who clearly is not shite is labeled as one. So I got curious on how this whole shiteness thing is seen by people. So I'm trying to gauge the opinion on how many players are considered shite in general and which leagues mostly have shite players.

Think of the last question as if you see us linked with a player you don't know (assuming you are not very familiar with that league) from that league is your first thought "he's probably shite" before checking the player out. I picked series we have either signed or at least been linked with players from.

Edited by Makis

Not sure how to answer this. We, as non-professional footballers, can't really judge them to be shite if professional scouts have spent weeks, months and years watching them and so it comes down to uninformed opinion most of the time.

I agree with you but when I have raised this up (a few times) after a player has been called shite here I've pretty much been told to f*ck off because people are allowed to have opinions.

But that's not why I set this poll up. I'm genuinely interested as it seems a lot of people have strong opinions.

I agree with you but when I have raised this up (a few times) after a player has been called shite here I've pretty much been told to f*ck off because people are allowed to have opinions.

But that's not why I set this poll up. I'm genuinely interested as it seems a lot of people have strong opinions.

I've had a go but no idea how what you're going to make of the results!

It's easily thrown round and usually in response to someone disagreeing with another persons opinion. Professional football players shouldn't really be called shite (as Matt says) by non professional footballers. Most instances are regarding players who are perceived to be VERY good footballers (Henderson for example) but aren't in fact as good as they're made out to be, so are lazily referred to as shite. They just don't turn up often enough or or hugely out of their depth.

I've used the term with McGeady on many occasions, but that's based on what he 'bought to the table' whilst at Everton and that was very little. So my opinion was formed on him constantly under performing and therefore he became 'shite' on the basis he never did anything worth while. He obviously isn't shite, he just wasn't at the level where it was acceptable to not contribute. He may be better in the Championship (that's started alright for him) and may well find his level, but if he still continues to not turn up in Championship football games, he'll drop to League 1, 2 and so on.

It's much easier to notice a Big fish in a little pond (Vardy), than a small fish in a big pond (Henderson) and the latter are easier to define as 'shite' because they're not at the level the rest of the team are.

The leagues thing is hard. You can't highlight full leagues being shite, as dynamically, they're all very different and the styles define the types of players potential clubs end up with.

I suspect what we see in many threads is exaggeration. In many aspects of life, opinions are becoming extreme and we're pressured to conform with one extreme or the other. Balance and reason fly out the window. It's no different with football, right? Whereas, years ago, someone would have been under the weather, or weak in this area or that, now they're either flawless or shite. In real life, though, every player has strengths and weaknesses, otherwise they wouldn't be playing in the Prem. Weaknesses are often amplified by managers who refuse to play to their strengths.

So, I wouldn't call any player in the Prem shite, which implies they are all-round useless. Some players are stronger in some areas, others are stronger in other areas, and some never have the chance to prove their strengths because of a poor manager. In the latter case, that player may switch teams and suddenly be declared a diamond in the rough.

The leagues question is a tough one, because there are generally at least a couple of teams in each league that have first 11s of real quality. Like others have said, as non-professionals it's hard to gauge who is shite. I think McGeady is terrible, but I'm sure he could run circles around me any day of the week without trying.

Shite player? Someone who can't do basic things consistently... control, pass, tackle, shoot.

Average player, someone who can do basics but lacks the ability to make a difference. Or someone who clearly lacks in some basics but good in others.

Good player... has very little you can criticise on. Makes a difference to the team.

Shite player? Someone who can't do basic things consistently... control, pass, tackle, shoot.

Average player, someone who can do basics but lacks the ability to make a difference. Or someone who clearly lacks in some basics but good in others.

Good player... has very little you can criticise on. Makes a difference to the team.

Great player - quoted at least once a day in the mainstream media.

When I call a player shite I use it in reference to the league they are in. As people have said, you don't become a premier league player by being bad at football but compared to the level of everyone around them they are significantly worse, such as McGeady. Obviously is McGeady was 1v1 with me I would get absolutely roasted despite me being handy enough in a midweek 5 a side team.

10-20%

1 or 2

Austria, Turkey, Ukraine.

For me every team has at least a couple shite players. Look at us. Niasse and Mcgeady. Most teams have a couple players the manager doesn't fancy (previous manager bought them or they bought them and they never came good) and they're playing with the U23 or the reserves.

Ok, I have to agree I worded that question poorly. The only hint is in the last option, " PL teams don't have shite players in their starting elevens. Might not be good enough for EFC, though.".

in that case i'd say very few shite players in starting lineups. a couple here and there at the bottom table clubs but for the most part even the "bad" players are still of decent quality and used by the right manager and formation could be ok. shite would be lescott at villa last year, gave up and just phoning in performances undeserving of the premier league.

Villa last year was way worse than what their lineup should have suggested. Look at Gana. That guy has been brilliant for us so far.

i agree, i think they had 1 shit player, lescott who literally phoned in half the season. Gana did not, he played well and that stats prove that. like i said a post above very few actual shite players in starting lineups in the prem.