IGNORED

Burnley (Away) Saturday October 22

markjazzbassist

Stek had a shocker. Had very little to do and didn't even do that properly. He won us one point last week but cost us 3 points today - 1

Oviedo didn't do too much wrong, had a couple of wayward passes up in the front third but thought he got on with his job okay - 5.5

Jags made too many schoolboy errors, his passing was all over the place - 4

Williams played well, made some good headed clearances - 6.5

Coleman made some half-decent runs up the right flank but he also had some horrible touches and threw away possesision on too many occasions - 4

Gueye was everywhere as usual. I wouldn't have subbed him off - 8

Barry did very well. Showed his experience to try and draw fouls for Arfield to get a second yellow. Thought his pass to create our goal was excellent - 8

Mirallas missed a few very good opportunities early that would have made our day so much easier - 5

Barkley had a couple of decent shots on goal. showed some good touches at times but didn't have a huge influence on the game - 6

Bolasie good goal, some nice crosses in there too - 7

Lukaku good build up play but didn't get nearly enough shots on goal. Held the ball up well - 6

Deulofeu - thought he made a difference when he came on. He had a few nice tricky touches and made a couple of decent chances from the right. Maybe could have had a bit more urgency - 6.5

Cleverley & Valencia - weren't on for long enough.

Koeman should have brought on Valencia earlier, wasn't sold on the starting XI - 5

That cunt Arfield should've been off in the fucking first half. The ref gave them every opportunity to win this game. We happened to make a few errors that allows that to happen. They were all over us, yet we were equal in fouls. Joke of a game.

I hate to come off like a purist, but Burnley didn't play football today.

Totally agree. That lad did 3 fouls after his yellow.

I must be the only one who thought Lukaku actually had a decent game. For me he held the ball up fairly well and linked-up with others when he had his back to goal.

Then again, maybe he just looked better to me because of all the other shite around him :lol:.

When he was actually asked to control the ball he was very good in fairness.

He's still abysmal with a defender on his back - a man his size should be holding off two. He struggles with a well timed nudge when he's about to take his touch.

Watch next time he plays - defender stands off and runs in just as he's about to take his touch. Knocks him off balance and that's it. Sometimes it's recovered other times not. The masters at this was shearer, Dalglish, Hughes, suarez, big dunc.

He has got better in this regard but we can't use him as a lone striker - simple as that.

Not the worst player on the pitch. Did t play well but didn't play bad.

Bolassie and barry the only 2 good enough.

Didn't watch or listen to it, took opportunity to watch my home town club Chester play down the road at York. But it seems to me Koeman has got two attacking players he trusts (Lukaku and Bolasie) and doesn't fancy any of the others one bit. Geri, Mirallas and Barkley are pretty much on permanent rotation, none of them playing well at all, while Kone, Lennon and Valencia barely get a kick.

So question is - is Koeman's lack of trust and permanent tinkering with the front line causing us to be so shite at putting teams away, or are those six players mentioned simply not good enough?

Stek had a shocker. Had very little to do and didn't even do that properly. He won us one point last week but cost us 3 points today - 1

Oviedo didn't do too much wrong, had a couple of wayward passes up in the front third but thought he got on with his job okay - 5.5

Jags made too many schoolboy errors, his passing was all over the place - 4

Williams played well, made some good headed clearances - 6.5

Coleman made some half-decent runs up the right flank but he also had some horrible touches and threw away possesision on too many occasions - 4

Gueye was everywhere as usual. I wouldn't have subbed him off - 8

Barry did very well. Showed his experience to try and draw fouls for Arfield to get a second yellow. Thought his pass to create our goal was excellent - 8

Mirallas missed a few very good opportunities early that would have made our day so much easier - 5

Barkley had a couple of decent shots on goal. showed some good touches at times but didn't have a huge influence on the game - 6

Bolasie good goal, some nice crosses in there too - 7

Lukaku good build up play but didn't get nearly enough shots on goal. Held the ball up well - 6

Deulofeu - thought he made a difference when he came on. He had a few nice tricky touches and made a couple of decent chances from the right. Maybe could have had a bit more urgency - 6.5

Cleverley & Valencia - weren't on for long enough.

Koeman should have brought on Valencia earlier, wasn't sold on the starting XI - 5

Skekkers conceded a goal, and the only one this season I can remember which I can directly blame on the keeper (even though events leading up to the goal were also a shambles)

Howard would have a mistake like that every 2 or 3 games toward his last two seasons at Everton. He's done well and saved us more points than lost, let's not make him out to be the bad guy.

Didn't watch or listen to it, took opportunity to watch my home town club Chester play down the road at York. But it seems to me Koeman has got two attacking players he trusts (Lukaku and Bolasie) and doesn't fancy any of the others one bit. Geri, Mirallas and Barkley are pretty much on permanent rotation, none of them playing well at all, while Kone, Lennon and Valencia barely get a kick.

So question is - is Koeman's lack of trust and permanent tinkering with the front line causing us to be so shite at putting teams away, or are those six players mentioned simply not good enough?

Great post

Honestly I'm beginning to think they're just not good enough. 'Mirallas shell of a player there, Ross is all potential no end product, Gerry just physically doesn't have the frame to be a pressing player. Lennon good defensive wing but nothing going on attacking wise, no need for comments on the rest of the lot.

Wholesale changes could be in order this summer.

I'll be honest. If i could take one player now - irrespective of age (as in you get their best years) and build a team around him it would be Gareth Barry. What a player.

I watched him today. Like a school master on the pitch. Pug it this way if he played 7 a side in any game anywhere in the country he wouldn't break a sweat and he'd run the show.

Honestly I'm beginning to think they're just not good enough. 'Mirallas shell of a player there, Ross is all potential no end product, Gerry just physically doesn't have the frame to be a pressing player. Lennon good defensive wing but nothing going on attacking wise, no need for comments on the rest of the lot.

Wholesale changes could be in order this summer.

I agree to some extent. Its not just talent - its shite finishing, its taking these shots from 1/2 mile away, its the lack of almost anybody having stellar dribbling skills to actually penetrate the defence. Of course from time to time we show quality, but there is too much stupid shit happening, sloppy passes, give-aways, etc. So I don't think you can chalk all of it up to needing new players, but maybe a combination of some new faces and the current crop honing skills and tactics. I'm disappointed as fuck right now in this team - the wind in my sail after the first 4 games is now a light breeze.

Skekkers conceded a goal, and the only one this season I can remember which I can directly blame on the keeper (even though events leading up to the goal were also a shambles)

Howard would have a mistake like that every 2 or 3 games toward his last two seasons at Everton. He's done well and saved us more points than lost, let's not make him out to be the bad guy.

I didn't say anything more than that he played awful and he deserved a rating of a 1 in this specific match. I'd still consider him the best GK at the club, as would most. I think you're jumping to your own conclusions.

We should look at each performance in isolation as opposed to making pre-determined judgements on players. I saw a lot of people bagging Oviedo on twitter after yesterday's game - Oviedo has played like shite recently but last night he was fine (he didn't have a blinder by any means but he did his job and there were at least 4 or 5 players who put in worse shifts than him). I also saw the Liverpool Echo give Stekelenburg a rating of 5 for that match - he was solely to blame for the first goal, made a mess of a couple of clearances to gift them shots on goal, and didn't do anything else in the match - why does he deserve a rating of 5 and not something lower??

The fundamental, elementary question is whether we have players who are consistently good enough to challenge for top 6. I have been worried about this for awhile, and yesterday did nothing but confirm my concerns.

Only Bolasie, Barry, and Gana showed much in the way of consistently solid play. Not perfect, these 3, but solid. The other outfield players had occasional good moments, but no consistency. Barkley, about whom I harbor deep skepticism, had that wonderful strike early in the match, but otherwise generally just slowed down our attack with his infuriating over-dribbling. He's more consistently frustrating than consistently effective.

For me, one moment symbolized the unnerving possibility that our players just aren't quite good enough. It was in the second half when Mirallas had an opportunity to cross it from the left to Lukaku for a tap-in. It was a basic -- not totally easy, but basic -- cross, where the correct placement would have produced an easy goal. But Mirallas's pass had too much pace, and so skipped just beyond Lukaku. Not the right pace. Basic.

Just one moment of failure, and by no means was Mirallas the only player to get it not quite right in basic ways.

Edited by Elston Gunnn

Well, glad I missed this one after reading some of the comments here and watching the highlights. Looks like it was a Roberto performance.

Party went really well though, glorious weather (though freezing if you sat out of the sun) and the little one had a blast :)

Well, glad I missed this one after reading some of the comments here and watching the highlights. Looks like it was a Roberto performance.

Party went really well though, glorious weather (though freezing if you sat out of the sun) and the little one had a blast :)

glad the party went well....

Everton have a habit of trying to spoil big days. On the day my oldest son was born we lost against Sunderland when we absolutely battered them...

On my 40th birthday party - Martinez decided to throw away a 2 goal lead and we lost 3-2 against the Hammers

but you know what - it puts football into perspective, nothing is more important than family. Try as they may, Everton losing will never take the shine off the important things in life.

Everton have a habit of trying to spoil big days. On the day my oldest son was born we lost against Sunderland when we absolutely battered them...

On my 40th birthday party - Martinez decided to throw away a 2 goal lead and we lost 3-2 against the Hammers

but you know what - it puts football into perspective, nothing is more important than family. Try as they may, Everton losing will never take the shine off the important things in life.

:lol: I'm getting there now but up until 2 years ago they were ruining my weekends all too often

They did alright be me , we beat The Shite 3-0 on my wedding day , and I got to go to the game! Edited by duncanmckenzieismagic

How did you manage that?!

If it was the AJ game it was a 12.45 kick-off so an afternoon wedding would be quite easy; though turning up sober might have been a bit more tricky.

(Must've been that day, last time we beat them 3-0 before that was in the North Region War League in 1944 :lol:)

If it was the AJ game it was a 12.45 kick-off so an afternoon wedding would be quite easy; though turning up sober might have been a bit more tricky.

(Must've been that day, last time we beat them 3-0 before that was in the North Region War League in 1944 :lol:)

It was indeed the AJ game

I was away on a 10 month deployment and so my Missus had to organise it all

It was all sorted but when the fixture list came out she was devastated. I remember her crying on the phone saying if she let me go to the game and we got beat I would be in a bad mood and it would ruin the day, if she let me go and we won I would get pissed and it would ruin the day or alternatively if she didn't let me go the game I would be pissed off and it would ruin the day

Needless to say I got to go but was under orders to get straight back and the dj was told under no uncertain terms could he play any football related songs that night no matter what the result!

Best bit was my cousin, who is a big red, was the first to shake my hand and congratulate me after the wedding and when I replied ' thanks mate it was a great game wasn't it?' His face was a picture as he grumbled ' I meant on the bloody wedding '