IGNORED

General Election/UK Politics

johnh

On 04/09/2023 at 09:38, patto said:

Thoughts on this apparently a conservative think tank says we should cancel the triple lock because pensioners are getting more than other sections. 
probably the unemployed 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-66783922

I'll be dead before I can retire at this rate but hopefully this is good news for those retired now?

2 hours ago, Matt said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-66783922

I'll be dead before I can retire at this rate but hopefully this is good news for those retired now?

This will possibly be the last triple lock. 
they are now talking about reducing benefits so people will have to work to earn a living. 
I just don’t understand why people want to live a life on benefits. 

1 minute ago, patto said:

they are now talking about reducing benefits so people will have to work to earn a living. 

After 17 years working with probably another 30 to go, I can see the attraction of having free money :lol:

8 minutes ago, Matt said:

After 17 years working with probably another 30 to go, I can see the attraction of having free money :lol:

Free money is great if you can get it but living on benefits is a life of misery unless you have other incomes like the black economy which is a big problem and that’s substantial 

47 minutes ago, patto said:

What about those that have no option but to live on benefits? It's rarely a lifestyle choice.

31 minutes ago, patto said:

Free money is great if you can get it but living on benefits is a life of misery unless you have other incomes like the black economy which is a big problem and that’s substantial 

It's not "free money" if you've been paying tax and NI for decades, and it doesn't need to be a life of misery at all; you just need to have your priorities sorted.

24 minutes ago, MikeO said:

What about those that have no option but to live on benefits? It's rarely a lifestyle choice.

It's not "free money" if you've been paying tax and NI for decades, and it doesn't need to be a life of misery at all; you just need to have your priorities sorted.

I’m not talking about pensioners or people who aren’t able to work I’m talking about people that refuse to work. 
of which there are thousands upon thousands of them. 
and yes pensions are not benefits. 

38 minutes ago, MikeO said:

That's not "wanting to" though, mate.

I know what you mean but Patto's been talking about those who dont chip in and live off the state by choice. It is free money if you've never contributed.

1 minute ago, Matt said:

That's not "wanting to" though, mate.

I know what you mean but Patto's been talking about those who dont chip in and live off the state by choice. It is free money if you've never contributed.

It’s still not an existence I would like  to endure 

5 minutes ago, Matt said:

You quoted and highlighted it mate :lol:

A distinction would've been "I just don’t understand why people want to live a life on benefits, although I understand that those on disability benefits don't do it through choice."

No distinction (as I said) was made, it was "benefits" umbrella term which covers any benefit, and feeds the right wing in their hatred of all benefit claimants.

Was a long way from clear, if you're excluding a type of benefit it needs to be made clear.

2 hours ago, Matt said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-66797972

Hoping we follow suit soon. No issue with people vaping but the amount of litter these things create is obscene, not to mention the waste of key metals and materials. 

I'm sure they'll love that it'll mean more people go back to smoking, which then means the government can get back to raking in that hefty tax ;).

On 14/09/2023 at 07:33, Matt said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-66797972

Hoping we follow suit soon. No issue with people vaping but the amount of litter these things create is obscene, not to mention the waste of key metals and materials. 

Got one that some cunt had thrown in the road stick in my tyre, £80 I could have done without spending 😭