IGNORED

General Election/UK Politics

johnh

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/6529985

You know what makes me really angry about this? With the Conservatives being a complete shitshow of flagrant fraudsters, sex-pests, thieves, adulterers, racists and a vampire, Labour still can't challenge them because they're so fucking inept. This "smear" campaign is such a Tory approach, which is why Labour has so spectacularly failed to pull it off. Its just embarrassing, especially at a time, well 13 years, when all you have to do is turn on the news or look at a paper and go "pincher by name, pincher by nature! Chortle chortle" or "we will stop taxing the rich"... The Torys write their own smear campaign daily, Labour. You don't need to step into that gutter. Just point out actual facts to remind the population how, in 13 years or so, their government has systematically broken laws, ruined lives and economies... there's so much shit to choose from, for the love of god just don't make it up. 

1 hour ago, Matt said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/6529985

You know what makes me really angry about this? With the Conservatives being a complete shitshow of flagrant fraudsters, sex-pests, thieves, adulterers, racists and a vampire, Labour still can't challenge them because they're so fucking inept. This "smear" campaign is such a Tory approach, which is why Labour has so spectacularly failed to pull it off. Its just embarrassing, especially at a time, well 13 years, when all you have to do is turn on the news or look at a paper and go "pincher by name, pincher by nature! Chortle chortle" or "we will stop taxing the rich"... The Torys write their own smear campaign daily, Labour. You don't need to step into that gutter. Just point out actual facts to remind the population how, in 13 years or so, their government has systematically broken laws, ruined lives and economies... there's so much shit to choose from, for the love of god just don't make it up. 

They're just Tory-lite, Matt. They're losing support daily - the advantage they've had is dwindling all the time because they aren't really an opposition. They don't oppose the Conservatives on anything, nothing that will help the ordinary person.

FFS, they're distancing themselves from the strikes. Do they not know who they are?!

• 3 weeks later...

I realise there's little love for the LibDems on here but in keeping with my "anyone but the Tories" standpoint very happy with local election result today.

Council went from..

Tory 13, LibDem 12, Independent 11, Green 1 (so no overall control) to..

LibDem 33, Tory 5, Green 3, Independent 1

Now that's handing the nasty party their arses on a plate!:D

49 minutes ago, MikeO said:

I realise there's little love for the LibDems on here but in keeping with my "anyone but the Tories" standpoint very happy with local election result today.

Council went from..

Its wonderful watching, gives me a bit of hope in this population. 

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Its wonderful watching, gives me a bit of hope in this population. 

My worry is that there's plenty of time before the next election for Starmer to alienate more voters.

Make no mistake, these losses are because of how shit the Conservatives are and not because people have faith in the Labour party or any others.

5 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

My worry is that there's plenty of time before the next election for Starmer to alienate more voters.

Make no mistake, these losses are because of how shit the Conservatives are and not because people have faith in the Labour party or any others.

True, but based on these numbers and the massive middle finger it shows to the twats in charge, it would be impressive. That said, I also wouldn't be surprised if LD or Greens make issues and take seats of Labour too.

14 hours ago, Matt said:

That said, I also wouldn't be surprised if LD or Greens make issues and take seats of Labour too.

It's for that reason that Labour probably won't get the majority they think they will.

I really don't think a Labour win at the next reason is going to be as much of a win for the ordinary person as it could be. Starmer really is just a Tory in a red tie.

Then again, he's nothing but a liar so maybe he'll change his mind on things once again once he's in power and trying to keep it.

15 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

It's for that reason that Labour probably won't get the majority they think they will.

I really don't think a Labour win at the next reason is going to be as much of a win for the ordinary person as it could be. Starmer really is just a Tory in a red tie.

Then again, he's nothing but a liar so maybe he'll change his mind on things once again once he's in power and trying to keep it.

Neither do I and I think we'll see LD buddy up with them.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think labour are the answer. But after over a decade of self-destruction, I'm willing to support any change pretty much. 

1 minute ago, Matt said:

Neither do I and I think we'll see LD buddy up with them.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think labour are the answer. But after over a decade of self-destruction, I'm willing to support any change pretty much. 

Do you think it's a guarantee of change though? He's refused to be an opposition so far, why do you think he'll all of a sudden be different after an election?

15 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Do you think it's a guarantee of change though? He's refused to be an opposition so far, why do you think he'll all of a sudden be different after an election?

Yeah, probably just as hateful but without the ingrained evil to see things through. That that's a potential improvement is so sad but says it all. Just look at their "smear" campaign to see how good they are at pretending to be evil overlords, it was so comically bad. 

Hopefully LibDems team up and will act as the counter-balance to Labour ineptitude, like they tried (and partly succeeded) with the Torys viciousness.

16 minutes ago, Matt said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-65599380

I'm shocked that, with the introduction of voter ID, the Conservatives had a massive loss. Apparently proving you are who you are (unless you voted by post) and voter ID meant that usual Tory voters couldn't vote? Much more likely they didn't exist to be honest. 

He's unhappy that the tory's electoral rule changes designed to increase their vote didn't work, and then complains that labour are looking at changing electoral rules to increase their vote.

Not hypocritical at all then:rolleyes:

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

He's unhappy that the tories electoral rule changes designed to increase their vote didn't work, and then complains that labour are looking at changing electoral rules to increase their vote.

James O'Brien a TT member?:P

2 hours ago, MikeO said:

He's unhappy that the tory's electoral rule changes designed to increase their vote didn't work, and then complains that labour are looking at changing electoral rules to increase their vote.

Maybe, just maybe, all those people they drove out with Brexit before Voter ID was brought in were actually voting Tory! 

:rofl:

On 05/05/2023 at 13:05, MikeO said:

Council went from..

I've probably mentioned before that, prior to leaving Britain, I was an approved parliamentary candidate for the Liberal Party. David Penhaligon was the heart and soul of the party back then, and he was tragically killed in a car accident on his way home to Cornwall for Christmas. I was good friends with Roger Roberts, Liberal Party candidate for Conwy. He's now Baron Roberts of Llandudno, and I was able to reach him a little while ago via House of Lords email. They were exciting days for the Liberal Party, before they hooked up with the Gang of Four in the Social Democrats (important lesson for today).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...