IGNORED

Should Allardyce be sacked now?

Should Allardyce be sacked now?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Should Allardyce be sacked now?

4 hours ago, pete0 said:

Alladyce was here one window and addressed two problems. One pace, Walcott, two a striker, Tosun. Given his track record and expect him to fix the defence given a proper window. This shambles is thanks to Koeman and Walsh. Would anyone swap their midfield for ours in the league? Or their 2 centre halves? 

What about the problem of playing a prehistoric brand of football that will never, ever get us close to a top 6 finish? 

25 minutes ago, nogs said:

What about the problem of playing a prehistoric brand of football that will never, ever get us close to a top 6 finish? 

What else can you do with this team. Unless you play the kids and no manager on a short contract will do that as it's no incentive to develop the kids if you're not gonna be there to reap the rewards. 

1 hour ago, pete0 said:

Pace was an absolute must. With Walcott we at least have someone to get you on your feet. We're desperate for a cm but who would sell in January? 

He brought a CB (Mangala) in as well but he got injured. I don't see what else they could've done considering the January market. Walsh and Koeman fucked up big in the summer. 

Walcott replaced Lennon. Pace was always there, quality maybe not, but pace was there. It' not as if we have utilised the extra quality of Walcott either.

I agree with the last bit.

20 minutes ago, pete0 said:

What else can you do with this team. Unless you play the kids and no manager on a short contract will do that as it's no incentive to develop the kids if you're not gonna be there to reap the rewards. 

Where probably the worst looking team in the league, yet man for man I think we are better than Stoke, Huddersfield, Burnley, West Ham, West Brom I could go on, but they are all playing better football on the eye than us, there approaching games with a want to win attitude instigated by their mangers, we've got twat for a manager and it shows in our football.

8 hours ago, Newty82 said:

I'm surprising myself and voting NO.

It's painful, really painful, and I really want him gone. I want him gone as soon as the final ball is kicked this season.

I say no because we only have a few games to go. Just checked, it is 4 left. Damn. I don't feel it would shine the club in a good light to sack him now. I fear it would make us look reckless and unattractive to future prospects, both managers and players. Out in the footballing world, it would raise more questions and give us the wrong sort of attention.

Keeping him hopefully allows the board more time to plan and strike as soon as possible after the final game. If they have their heads on, they'll have his final cheque ready and already be in deep negotiations with new options.

I would also feel a bit for Unsy. He would yet again be given the job for a few games but with no real hope of getting the job permanently. Yet, as is human nature, he would want the job and would be left disappointed. I don't want us to mess with Unsy or use him as a convenience of ours. I like the man. And he loves the club. But you can only fuck with someone's loyalty so much before you damage the relationship.

We are nearly there lads and lasses, let' just hold hands and get over the finish line.

Good argument and I get that way of thinking. I agree we don’t want to turn into a club with no morales and put off any prospective appointments, but I think most people in football believe he was only a short term appointment.

However, that said I don’t want a long drawn out summer of will we, won’t we and the ensuing uncertainty/unrest  with our players and any potential new signings. Added to that we are safe now and building for next season should already be happening. With that in mind I’d want the new manager in ASAP to work with the current players and establish where they feel the need to strengthen. If that means upsetting a few people, so be it. 

13 hours ago, nogs said:

Hang on unless I completely misread you, your last post implied that Allardyce has addressed our problems up front with pace and a goalscorer, and he should be given the chance to sort the defence... Is that it then, 3 new defenders in the summer and we can expect him to have us playing something resembling football again?? 

I'll tell you what he could have done with this squad on several occasions. He could have not fielded 3 DMs against a terrible West Brom on the back of our best run of results this season, inexplicably changing the most effective set up we've found. He could have not played two central midfielders against the best midfield 3 in the country at home to City, conceding 83% possession. He could have set the team up to have a go against a weakened Liverpool who were there to be beaten. 

I'm not disagreeing about Walsh and Koeman's culpability in this dreadful season, but tactically Allardyce has been exposed as a clueless one-dimensional throwback who hasn't evolved since his Notts County days. His decision making and approach have been fucking abysmal, as has the brand of football he has us playing. Yeah I want the squad turned inside out, I'm not one of these who only wants a handful of changes in the summer, I don't want continuity with this shower of shit. But as part of that, I don't want Allardyce anywhere near the rebuilding of this squad, he is a huge part of the problem in my eyes. 

At what point do you blame the players? They've been through 3 managers this season and looked lacklustre under everyone of them, as they did in Martinez's last season too. 

2 hours ago, pete0 said:

At what point do you blame the players? They've been through 3 managers this season and looked lacklustre under everyone of them, as they did in Martinez's last season too. 

I think I did, I said I wanted squad turned inside out because half of them are not good enough. 

• 3 years later...

Found this pretty interesting. I mean, nothing that we didn't know already, it just shines a light on how fucking ridiculous it was that we ever had this man in charge.

This is from a recent ESPN story on DeAndre Yedlin, and his time at Sunderland under Sam.

Like so many other clubs desperate to avoid relegation, it turned to Sam Allardyce.

By then, Allardyce had a particular way of doing everything, and it didn't involve a right-back who would race down the sideline when the spirit moved him. During a training session, a ball came to Yedlin with nobody near. It was his kind of moment. He started up the right side at pace, then played a pass forward to a winger. Allardyce stopped the session. "The next time you don't put the ball in the f-----g channel, you're going to be out," he said.

"I wanted to play," Yedlin said. "So that's what I did." He evidently didn't do it well enough. Against Watford on December 12, Allardyce pulled him after 19 minutes. Over the next eight games, Yedlin appeared once, as a late substitute. "Sam's the kind of guy, when he doesn't trust you anymore, you're out," Yedlin said. "I was miserable. I knew something had to change."