IGNORED

Bury (Pre Season Friendly)

Newty82

9 hours ago, London Blue said:

Technically he is fucking awful, but he does cause mayhem and you cant fault his determination.

Still don't want him anywhere near our team.

He’s not though, that’s just carried on from when he started.

Yesterday we saw him control the ball woth here players in him, hold it up and get a pass away. We then saw him control the ball in the penalty area under pressure, get his shot away which was saved, and then calmly dispatch it. He also hit the post three times.

Not sure what this guy has to do to get credit. He’s not a top six striker, but he is a reliable back up for us.

4 hours ago, Shukes said:

He’s not though, that’s just carried on from when he started.

Yesterday we saw him control the ball woth here players in him, hold it up and get a pass away. We then saw him control the ball in the penalty area under pressure, get his shot away which was saved, and then calmly dispatch it. He also hit the post three times.

Not sure what this guy has to do to get credit. He’s not a top six striker, but he is a reliable back up for us.

Its just the concern of how our season will be effected by a season long iniury to Cenk.

I can see pros and cons to him being our number 1 striker but ultimately I would be confident that he would put the ball in the back of the net on a regular enough basis.

2 hours ago, Bailey said:

Its just the concern of how our season will be effected by a season long iniury to Cenk.

I can see pros and cons to him being our number 1 striker but ultimately I would be confident that he would put the ball in the back of the net on a regular enough basis.

I agree as a No1. It’s a rough choice. Can we get in a quality striker that would wait in the bench? Or maybe a striker that can compete with Cenk.

As a bench player though, Niasse is an asset, and a good one. 

People talk about him like he is a donkey at times, and watching him it’s fair to say he is a lot better than people credit him.

But as a No1? No I do t think he is the right level. 

3 hours ago, Shukes said:

I agree as a No1. It’s a rough choice. Can we get in a quality striker that would wait in the bench? Or maybe a striker that can compete with Cenk.

As a bench player though, Niasse is an asset, and a good one. 

People talk about him like he is a donkey at times, and watching him it’s fair to say he is a lot better than people credit him.

But as a No1? No I do t think he is the right level. 

Yeh I would agree with all of that.

Given that we dont have European games this season, which might tempt another top striker to come here and share playing time with Cenk, the need for another striker is far less than other areas of the pitch as Niasse will always do a job when required.

15 minutes ago, hafnia said:

Man United won all sorts with ji sun park and John oshea.... squad players don't all have to be elite. 

Absolutely, we did OK with Alan Harper, Ian Atkins and Kevin Richardson playing their part when called on.

5 minutes ago, Shukes said:

Kevin Richardson was a lot better than people gave credit for. 100% player.

I agree but he was only ever a bench option when our first XI were fit and that was my point, you need bench options; even more so today when most games are 14v14 by the end.

What Niasse lacks in technical skill, he seems to compensate for in sheer effort. Effort can't be taught, finishing can be worked on, perhaps. I think he is a valuable sub to come on at 60-70 and cause problems in a tired back line. He seems popular with the team, and seemingly isn'tt unhappy with that role. All of those things make him valuable to me. He really doesn't seem to be a striker that will put fear in the hearts of and EPL team, but he does appear to be a pain in the ass, especially to a tired back line.

3 hours ago, patto said:

I think there's a difference between man united and us at the moment we need quality 1st teamers not bench warmers I'm not saying Niasse is not good enough for the bench.

But if we buy the right class of player we can sell our fringe players, ie Niasse Mirallas Besic and a few more but if we fail in the transfer market we end up with the same squad as last season which is not good enough.

I'm not even sure about Lookman but one thing for sure we have to keep trying for better players this summer or we will fall even further behind our competitors.

He offers a different approach. Pure energy and hassle.... that's why he's worth keeping.

5 hours ago, hafnia said:

He offers a different approach. Pure energy and hassle.... that's why he's worth keeping.

He does and I fear we will see a lot of him this season trying to get something out of a lost game, unless we get 2 or 3 quality starters in Niasse could be a regular, and to me that equates to a another poor season on the way.

If people think replacing Niasse is one of our top priorities this summer I really do wonder what the hell they watch. He did more for us last season than Williams, Keane, Schneiderlin, Klaassen, Bolasie and Sandro combined. 

With all the other areas of the squad we need to strengthen I don't see us buying a striker. Cenk, Niasse, Walcott, DCL is enough for this year. And let's face it we've gone into seasons with far worse striking options. 

4 hours ago, nogs said:

If people think replacing Niasse is one of our top priorities this summer I really do wonder what the hell they watch. He did more for us last season than Williams, Keane, Schneiderlin, Klaassen, Bolasie and Sandro combined. 

With all the other areas of the squad we need to strengthen I don't see us buying a striker. Cenk, Niasse, Walcott, DCL is enough for this year. And let's face it we've gone into seasons with far worse striking options. 

He is an option off the bench and not does have the quality to be a regular starting player.