IGNORED

Aston Villa (Away) Friday August 23rd

markjazzbassist

20 hours ago, barryj said:

@pete0 tonight is a prime example of us missing Gana. You can dress it up anyway you like but the ability he had to break up play and get interceptions meant I’m confident that with him instead of Schneiderlin would have led to a  different result (assuming we could finish). 

Like Bailey said we had the same issues with Gana in the team.

I don't see how Gana would have made any difference other than leave us more exposed in the middle and give away even more free kicks. A better player than Keane and we'd not have conceded, it was clear he was struggling and Silva didn't make a change to help him either. 

11 hours ago, Palfy said:

I saw it as they were hitting us on the break when we were camped in there half and lost the ball, they quickly played a long ball out to the channels and came out in numbers with pace, Coleman and Digne were constantly caught up field rendering them infective when they broke, and Keane was weak against Wesley. 

They had the perfect game plan in that sense and our lack of fire power and poor finishing played into their hands, when we dominate the first 20 minutes of a game we need to score 1 or 2 otherwise what happened will be replicated a few more times this season. 

All too easy to get the game plan right against us. Silva does the same thing every week even though his football doesn't create enough good chances. 

40 minutes ago, Wiggytop said:

Did Keane get a smack in the face from Wesley in the build up to their first goal, they showed something at half time on Sky but I was watching with the sound down, it looked like it had an impact on his positioning from there on until the goal.

Fuck knows but between him and Coleman it was embarrassing. 

On 24/08/2019 at 05:38, TallPaul1878 said:

Hugely disappointed with this result. The onus was on Villa to entertain their fans and all we had to do was shut them up and try and grab a late goal. Our away form has been dismal for years and we will never be a real threat to the big teams if we can't go away from home and close out a few narrow victories.

Gomes and Schneiderlin clearly had their worst games in an Everton shirt but they were joined by Richarlison who has had 3 miserable games so far this season.

I don't read too much into the pre-season games but we seem to have carried our goal shyness into the start of this season. 1 goal in 3 games is relegation form

Agree that Gomes was pants, but that was one of Morgan's least shit games for us.  Actually made one or two forward passes and was usually available to take the ball off whoever.

15 hours ago, Shukes said:

Ye I have to say, Morgan has played much much worse than that. Not sure what that exactly means though haha.

But I did comment on a few of his runs forward and his team excellent chip into Seamus pass.

Foe the chance that DCL fluffed into the Villa players? If so, I thought that was Sigurdsson. If not, then I've completely wiped it from my memory :lol: 

8 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Foe the chance that DCL fluffed into the Villa players? If so, I thought that was Sigurdsson. If not, then I've completely wiped it from my memory :lol: 

Ahh you might be right, for some reason I thought it was Morgan. 

Oh well, he’s still shit then haha.

On 24/08/2019 at 00:08, Ghoat said:

Schneiderlin didn't have a bad game for me. He is a solid but not spectacular player - a very good compliment to a more active dynamic midfield partner. The last 30 minutes of the game we were basically in a 4-2-4. The only thing I really saw missing from Schneiderlin's game was his partner. If it had been Gana having his worst day ever, it would have been similar. If it had been JPB in there today instead of Schneiderlin, especially in the last 30 mins, he wouldn't have looked good either trying to cover the entire middle of the pitch.

Gomes had his worst game in an Everton shirt, and crippled us. It happens.

I agree that Gomes had a stinker, especially as the game went on but the slightly scary thing is that most of our chances started through his good play. I'd imagine we would have just passed the ball more from side to side with one of the others albeit at least the pass would have found a man more often! 

On 24/08/2019 at 00:16, barryj said:

First time I think I’ve ever disagreed with your view. I agree we needed more dynamism but thats exactly why I think we missed Gana tonight. Not for anything he added going forward but the confidence he gave in other players taking a more advanced role. I felt tonight more than ever all the midfield dropped back. This was more prevalent in Gomes but also included Siggy and this isn’t just tonight’s game as we saw that at Palace as well. 

Edit - I was actually wanting Davies on for Schneiderlin to add a bit more going forward. 

It's not something I would admit to! 😂

I just don't think our problem was someone making tackles or Interceptions.  We just play a lot from side to side. It's no different from last year. DCL didn't try 1 pass centrally around the box (Kean had 2) and Siggy only made 1. Even their touches around the box or in the box were limited. That isn't a problem Gana will help us with IMO. 

On 24/08/2019 at 01:15, Finn balor said:

I must be the only person that saw what villa tonight. Wesley sat on Keane all night and bossed him. Mina should have swapped but didn’t. Our midfield was wide open tonight. Grealish who I rate didn’t have to bother. Gana like I said would have been the difference 

So Mina "swaps" and then where does Wesley go? Yep he follows Keane.

On 24/08/2019 at 07:48, Palfy said:

I saw it as they were hitting us on the break when we were camped in there half and lost the ball, they quickly played a long ball out to the channels and came out in numbers with pace, Coleman and Digne were constantly caught up field rendering them infective when they broke, and Keane was weak against Wesley. 

They had the perfect game plan in that sense and our lack of fire power and poor finishing played into their hands, when we dominate the first 20 minutes of a game we need to score 1 or 2 otherwise what happened will be replicated a few more times this season. 

This is it in a nutshell. It happens to other teams too don't forget. Look at Spurs and Newcastle. It's hard to breakdown well drilled Premier League teams especially when they can build off an outlet like they did with Wesley. If Keane defends better, they can't get a foothold in the game and then the ball keeps going back and you can wear them down. 

Imagine a defender like Otamendi in the situation Keane was in. By hook or by crook Wesley would have barely seen the ball. Keane is too nice, he doesn't like it rough. I think you could argue that he is also too vertical when he goes into these challenges. Whatever it is he needs to grow a pair and be far more aggressive.

• 3 weeks later...