IGNORED

Aston Villa (Away) Friday August 23rd

markjazzbassist

midfield really let us down.  i don't know why we took gylfi off the one guy who can thread passes in the box and play 1-2's, we should have pulled morgan or gomes who were both worthless today.  classic packed box and we have a pass around.  we need to penetrate instead of passing around.  iwobi was mixed, kean looked lively.

- DCL missing with half the goal free in the first half

- Iwobi hits the post in the second half

- Walcott blazes over from six yards out

Just three "big" chances off the top of my head that doesn't include the half chances like Digne hitting it over at the end. If we'd been more clinical, that would have been rather comfortable. We had the lion share of possession but just couldn't finish and it'll be the difference between us finishing where we want to be and 8th/9th. 

A bad day at the office, too fragile at the back too. Yerry Mina looked great again but Keane had a shocker, just crap.

Not sure that anyone can pin it on Silva too, three very attacking, positive subs (two as early as 60 minutes) so we clearly went for the win. It's just the players in the final third were a shambles. 

One highlight from the game? Seamus Coleman absolutely leathering their winger at the end. Love a bit of bite.

I have to say the quality of the players we put out there is shocking Gomes is overrated on this  I am not seeing what he bring to be first team only at the end when we needed a goal did he look the player I thought we bought. We played DCL again 9 games without a goal says it all they had wesley who came from fucking belgium and just looks like a prem player. I called last season for DCL to get the run of games he has had that now and id not a prem striker I would be surprised if he could get 10+ in the championship. I dont care who replaces him he shouldn't be in the squad.

10 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Yet again Keane too soft to put a challenge in on Wesley. Let's him turn and play it unchallenged. 

Gotta say though Bailey, those 2, Keane and Mina, have done bloody well considering they've had minimal offerings from the 2 in front of them.

I've got nothing against Morgan or Gomes. Well, maybe Morgan a little bit. But neither of them will give the bite that's needed in there. Certainly not today anyway!!

I think Mina was probably the only positive of those that started. Iwobi did ok when he came on. 

As John says the signs were there last season. Teams will play like that and we will struggle to break them down as we mainly won on the counter last season. We did still create 2 golden chances but the two they fell to are probably the players we didn't want them too.

We need to sort out our midfield. Those 3 are too passive and the lack energy. There is no graft, they are good at looking pretty and doing the fancy stuff but we needed a bit of graft and a bit of control. I am amazed that Gomes stayed on, and whilst he did get better his head wasn't there tonight. 

There are no words to describe Keane though. His worst performance for some time.

Just now, Finn balor said:

This performance has been dire. We have nothing in the middle of the park. Villa are average at best. One goal in three games? 

Emotions mate. We have the players. One match doesn’t mean we need to sell every player because we are shit. 

We just lack bottle, we concede, we fall apart because we are too soft at the moment.

Weve just lost the one player that would  make a difference today, we all know who. It’s now up to the manager to work out how to close that gap.

Bernard. Not good enough I’m afraid.

Gomes, confidence player... Barca let him go as they knew he didn't have the fight for the top. 

Keane, too slow. But will get better when he learns to read the game.

Mina, will be a good player, but never better than good. Tall but not good in the air, and easily bullied. Was good for 30 mins, then got absolutely bullied out of the game.

Siggy, forgot to put a shirt on and come out of the changing room? Honestly, what does he do?

Digne, just had an off day.

Coleman, tried, but age and quality is showing 🙁

Morgan, best in a long while. But the quality isn’t, and let’s be truthful here, probably has never been there.

DCL, hold up play great, skill, great.... finishing and creativity... just not there. Strange but I think he would be better in a different position.

Richarlison, not going for him as yet, but by far our best player. Works hard at the least.

Keane. Cameo against Watford was exciting. Got longer today and looked a 19 year old kid. Anti climax.

Iwobi, looked awkward, but made things happen. He will be good for us.

Walcott, retire mate. Before people remember you for the wrong things.

Pickford. Two saves to make the whole game. Conceded both. Everyone needs a pass sometimes.

I thought Iwobi looked good we looked much better in attack when him and Kean came on and much of it was diwn to his work. Some good forward passing and really looking to make things happen.

Mina played pretty well at the backbut noticed he's very keen fir a scrap. Luckily Digne seems to be looking out for him and at least a couple of times stepped in and pulled him away from trouble and had a word.

Let’s get this right. We got overrun time and time again. In the middle of the park we had nothing. That does not bode well for the future. Against better teams we will get twatted. I’m on a proper downer tonight. DCl can’t start next game. United, arsenal, would have battered these tonight 

8 minutes ago, memmaclub2 said:

CDL can not hold the ball up and he can't score goals. Please tell me how a player with his lack of fundamental skills gets soooooooo much game time. We can't afford to be letting him learn his trade in the prem when he isn't progressing.

Don’t think you can say he can’t hold the ball up? Well you can say it, P can say Gana is shit ffs haha.

1 minute ago, Newty82 said:

Gotta say though Bailey, those 2, Keane and Mina, have done bloody well considering they've had minimal offerings from the 2 in front of them.

I've got nothing against Morgan or Gomes. Well, maybe Morgan a little bit. But neither of them will give the bite that's needed in there. Certainly not today anyway!!

Yeh that's a fair point but Keane was 1 v 1 with the striker a lot, a situation he will be in regularly every game but he barely won a header, barely made a tackle or barely did anything. Midfielders should always be dropping in but they are 2 v 3 against the Villa lads too so if they drop in front of Wesley then there are 2 more Villa players in space. 

But to honest guys n girls, I'm not too worried about the season ahead. Generally.

I think today will end up being one of our worst all round performances this season. We'll get beat again, no doubt. But we'll rarely play like that again.

There'll be goals in this team. They'll come. I've no worries about that. And we've shown we can play tight at the back.

It's just so bloody frustrating tonight. No point slinging mud only 3 games in, but we do need to find a way to break teams down when they pack their boxes.

Just now, Bailey said:

I didn't think DCL was any good at holding up the ball either. Just look down at the other end as to how a striker should hold up the ball and bring others into the game. DCL was miles away from that tonight.

Of course it was easier for the Villa striker he had so much space to do so. 

I'm not defending dom, nobody played well minus Mina IMO, but none of our forwards had time or space on the ball in the final third and none seem good enough in that situation. 

8 minutes ago, Newty82 said:

But to honest guys n girls, I'm not too worried about the season ahead. Generally.

I think today will end up being one of our worst all round performances this season. We'll get beat again, no doubt. But we'll rarely play like that again.

There'll be goals in this team. They'll come. I've no worries about that. And we've shown we can play tight at the back.

It's just so bloody frustrating tonight. No point slinging mud only 3 games in, but we do need to find a way to break teams down when they pack their boxes.

I've calmed down a bit and this post is the voice of reason.