IGNORED

Aston Villa (Away) Friday August 23rd

markjazzbassist

4 minutes ago, Aidan said:

Of course it was easier for the Villa striker he had so much space to do so. 

I'm not defending dom, nobody played well minus Mina IMO, but none of our forwards had time or space on the ball in the final third and none seem good enough in that situation. 

Difference was that DCL was holding the ball up under pressure. 

Wesley made our bigger players look weak. This is what I don’t get. Zouma was a bully. Tough lad that took every battle as an individual battle. Mina and Keane, for their size seem to be pushed around. Not sure if it’s a confidence thing, or just a weak mentality?

1 minute ago, Aidan said:

Of course it was easier for the Villa striker he had so much space to do so. 

I'm not defending dom, nobody played well minus Mina IMO, but none of our forwards had time or space on the ball in the final third and none seem good enough in that situation. 

There was space in front of DCL too. The difference was Wesley's touch under pressure was better. I think they probably did better at getting players around him than we did but part of that is about trust in the player winning and controlling the ball. 

Doesn't excuse the others for similar poor performances though in the 3 behind. Bernard wildly inconsistent. Richarlison is hot and cold. Siggy flutters in and out of games rather than dictates games. Iwobi might help, Kean might help but they all seem to have too many off days. 

Even if you look at the start we made. How many chances did we create? Imagine a top team in that situation... They would have half a dozen chances with that pressure on around the box.

3 minutes ago, Shukes said:

Wesley made our bigger players look weak. This is what I don’t get. Zouma was a bully. Tough lad that took every battle as an individual battle. Mina and Keane, for their size seem to be pushed around. Not sure if it’s a confidence thing, or just a weak mentality?

I think Keane can slightly be put in the softer, pushed around category. But I think Mina has balls of steel. I think he's squared up and argued with an opposition player each game so far. The guy seems a great character to have around.

13 minutes ago, FairWooney said:

Mina played pretty well at the backbut noticed he's very keen fir a scrap. Luckily Digne seems to be looking out for him and at least a couple of times stepped in and pulled him away from trouble and had a word.

I noticed Digne do that last game as well, he's like Mina's minder. I like that Mina is fiesty, but time and a place. He had NO business getting involved in Coleman's free kick that resulted in the double yellow. He wasn't in the play, he wasn't near play and that was his captain who had it under control in discussion with Oliver. Digne went and pulled him out, and when Mina kept going, Digne, giving away half a foot, didn't back down and got his finger up in his face and Mina backed away. I don't speak French or Spanish, but he clearly said "calm the fuck down and shut up ya big bastard". Of the several things that I noted during the game, most of them not good, that one event very much stood out.

Someone said something earlier about there being no leaders on the pitch, I slightly disagree. Lucas Digne may very well be next man up for the armband. 

8 minutes ago, Shukes said:

Mina was totally in command of his job today Wesley wasn’t pushing him around he got very little joy against Mina who was our man of the match tonight. 

1 minute ago, Newty82 said:

I think Keane can slightly be put in the softer, pushed around category. But I think Mina has balls of steel. I think he's squared up and argued with an opposition player each game so far. The guy seems a great character to have around.

Don’t disagree mate. But I’m 5.8’ and I won headers against players 4” bigger all the time, just simply by being brave and jumping early (Timmy Cahill taught me that). How does he lose so many headers?

You know what, I'm being unfair, he’s stepping up a league and needs time to realise he isn't going to be given free headers for being bigger. He’ll get there.

2 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Mina was totally in command of his job today Wesley was pushing him around he got very little joy against Mina who was our man of the match tonight. 

Other than setting up the last goal?

Who scores the first?

Like I said mate, your football knowledge is as good as my ghist of the Chinese language... which I only k ow Chicken Chow Mein!

Im only joking mate haha I would still love a night with you me and Newty. Would he a great laugh. Even bring Pad along... need someone miserable there to bring us back to earth 😉

3 minutes ago, Shukes said:

Who scores the first?

Like I said mate, your football knowledge is as good as my ghist of the Chinese language... which I only k ow Chicken Chow Mein!

Im only joking mate haha I would still love a night with you me and Newty. Would he a great laugh. Even bring Pad along... need someone miserable there to bring us back to earth 😉

That'll happen one day. No doubt 👍

10 minutes ago, Shukes said:

Don’t disagree mate. But I’m 5.8’ and I won headers against players 4” bigger all the time, just simply by being brave and jumping early (Timmy Cahill taught me that). How does he lose so many headers?

You know what, I'm being unfair, he’s stepping up a league and needs time to realise he isn't going to be given free headers for being bigger. He’ll get there.

I'm 5.7"...on a good day...and would lose a header against a garden gnome.

7 minutes ago, Shukes said:

Who scores the first?

I’m good with that mate. 

56 minutes ago, barryj said:

@pete0 tonight is a prime example of us missing Gana. You can dress it up anyway you like but the ability he had to break up play and get interceptions meant I’m confident that with him instead of Schneiderlin would have led to a  different result (assuming we could finish). 

FWIW I don't agree. This was a problem last year with Gana in the team. It would have helped to have more dynamism alongside Gomes generally but that is no surprise to anyone. 

24 minutes ago, Bailey said:

FWIW I don't agree. This was a problem last year with Gana in the team. It would have helped to have more dynamism alongside Gomes generally but that is no surprise to anyone. 

Schneiderlin didn't have a bad game for me. He is a solid but not spectacular player - a very good compliment to a more active dynamic midfield partner. The last 30 minutes of the game we were basically in a 4-2-4. The only thing I really saw missing from Schneiderlin's game was his partner. If it had been Gana having his worst day ever, it would have been similar. If it had been JPB in there today instead of Schneiderlin, especially in the last 30 mins, he wouldn't have looked good either trying to cover the entire middle of the pitch.

Gomes had his worst game in an Everton shirt, and crippled us. It happens.

47 minutes ago, Bailey said:

First time I think I’ve ever disagreed with your view. I agree we needed more dynamism but thats exactly why I think we missed Gana tonight. Not for anything he added going forward but the confidence he gave in other players taking a more advanced role. I felt tonight more than ever all the midfield dropped back. This was more prevalent in Gomes but also included Siggy and this isn’t just tonight’s game as we saw that at Palace as well. 

Edit - I was actually wanting Davies on for Schneiderlin to add a bit more going forward. 

1 hour ago, Finn balor said:

Villa are shite. I’m not saying it to be bitter at all. We lost the game in the middle of the park. We were so open when we lost the ball. Gana would have mopped up and been all over grealish and mcginn

Yeah that’s what got to me as well.  They were plain awful in the final third.  They kept passing it out of bounds.  They were a pub league side out there.  Gana would have made a massive difference as Morgan kept doing the 4 yard passes to Gomes and then back.  Morgan was useless he doesn’t intercept and break up play he is out there doing fuck all except 4 yard passes sideways.  

We need gbamin back and quick.  Or abandon the 2 dm while he’s out and have 1 player back and 2 forward to get more going in the box.

I saw it as they were hitting us on the break when we were camped in there half and lost the ball, they quickly played a long ball out to the channels and came out in numbers with pace, Coleman and Digne were constantly caught up field rendering them infective when they broke, and Keane was weak against Wesley. 

They had the perfect game plan in that sense and our lack of fire power and poor finishing played into their hands, when we dominate the first 20 minutes of a game we need to score 1 or 2 otherwise what happened will be replicated a few more times this season. 

Can only really echo what Palfy said.

It was a perfect storm for Villa that. We attack without a clue and then eventually fuck it up, so they can break on what is a very slow central midfield and defence. There's only really Digne who has any sort of pace out of those 6 players and even he isn't particularly quick.

Those slow players won't be as much of a problem if we can sort out how we play when we're in possession of the ball and that means making changes to our attacking players. Sigurdsson is a definite one that needs to take a back seat and I'd be benching Richarlison too (if only to give him a kick up the arse).

I watched on tv outside a bar with no sound as were away on hols, so no annoying commentary, and I felt ultimately we lost the game on poor finishing, we had a few changes but didn't make them count, Villa had 3 I can think of, 2 went in and Pickford made a good save on the other.

Gomes had a shocker, and I don't think his pairing with Schniederlin works at all, and I got sick of seeing passes not going to the intended player,a really poor showing after the first goal.