IGNORED

Lincoln (Carabao Cup Away) Wednesday August 28th

markjazzbassist

In terms of our poor open play chances creation I thought it was really obvious today how reluctant we are to play a ball into the central player on the edge of the box. Instead of going in and out to say Siggy or Kean then went wide, their men behind the ball stayed in shape and then we tried a cross into a packed penalty area.  It's too safe. Delph mainly but Schneiderlin too are looking for the safe option too often. Digne, Sidibe are also guilty. 

The other noticeable point is that the one time one of Delph or Schneiderlin broke into the box they won a penalty. How often do the players in that position ever pass and move like that? If the full backs are that far forward the wingers come inside and there is no space for the midfield to break into and they have to be cautious as you can't have the full backs forward as well as most of the midfield otherwise you will concede too many on the counter.

2 hours ago, pete0 said:

Surprised the reaction to Holgate but no mention of Keane at all even though he's completely at fault for the second. No conviction and headed it into danger. The lanky lad needs to learn it's not enough to win the ball, you have to make sure. 

Iwobi has been a cut above anything we had last year, a driving force in midfield albeit against a minnow but we did struggle last season against them. 

First time in a long time I’ve agreed with you. Our CBs were both garbage today. Won in spite of them. And Iwobi was great and has shown nothing but class so far.

Kean looked most dangerous to me when he started wide or in the right channel and came inside. Makes me wonder how we would look if we flipped Richy to left, put Kean on right with DCL up top.

Speaking of, DCL looked surprisingly nifty moving with the ball at his feet around the box in his cameo.

1 hour ago, Ghoat said:

Kean looked most dangerous to me when he started wide or in the right channel and came inside. Makes me wonder how we would look if we flipped Richy to left, put Kean on right with DCL up top.

Speaking of, DCL looked surprisingly nifty moving with the ball at his feet around the box in his cameo.

Those three up front would give us good pace and they can all play across the line, could give defenders a nightmare as they wouldn't know who's playing where, I'd really like us to try this formation.

I'm very pleased we played the new recruits. It was an excellent setting to do just that. It was also nice to see Holgate play, although I would have much preferred to see Davies than Schneiderlin. Also, why not play Lossl in goal? It was also good to see four goals, given our recent drought.

Looking back, why did we concede a goal in a matter of seconds? Who was to blame? Were they simply asleep?

5 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

I'm very pleased we played the new recruits. It was an excellent setting to do just that. It was also nice to see Holgate play, although I would have much preferred to see Davies than Schneiderlin. Also, why not play Lossl in goal? It was also good to see four goals, given our recent drought.

Looking back, why did we concede a goal in a matter of seconds? Who was to blame? Were they simply asleep?

I missed the first minute whilst searching for a stream and given the negativity about Holgate I expected it to be his fault for the first. Surprised its mostly Keane's (again). Said it a few times now, the lad lacks conviction, he should be winning that it's his ball but he leaves it for Delph. 

14 minutes ago, pete0 said:

I missed the first minute whilst searching for a stream and given the negativity about Holgate I expected it to be his fault for the first. Surprised its mostly Keane's (again). Said it a few times now, the lad lacks conviction, he should be winning that it's his ball but he leaves it for Delph.

Thanks for sharing the video. I agree that Keane's hesitation is the biggest reason for their first goal. And it's not just that: He shows no commitment is making up for that error.

What was the fracas all about after the penalty kick? The Lincoln players seemed unduly aggressive toward Sigurdsson.

6 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

Thanks for sharing the video. I agree that Keane's hesitation is the biggest reason for their first goal. And it's not just that: He shows no commitment is making up for that error.

What was the fracas all about after the penalty kick? The Lincoln players seemed unduly aggressive toward Sigurdsson.

Welcome 🙂

True, he plays within himself at times and he's frustratingly too nice. Needs a coach to get in his head and get him riled up. The only game I thought he looked better than average was the one against Brighton when he had none of Murray trying to rough him up. Holgate would be my pick. 

Sigurdssen went to collect the ball from the net and got a little shove in the back pushing him into the net. Shit bag behaviour, although Sigurdssen probably shouldn't be grabbing the ball in that situation. 

22 hours ago, pete0 said:

Holgate would be my pick. 

I felt Holgate was poor his positional sense was all over the place at times, and is touch was quite poor. 

I could put that down to being a bit rusty but in truth I don’t think he’s could enough as stand in CB, we all know that not replacing Zouma was potentially going to be our biggest problem the first half of the season, and if Keane or Mina get injured or lose form I saw enough against Lincoln to show me Holgate isn’t the man to replace either of them. 

Come January our first significant signing will be a CB, and after the start he’s having back in the Chelsea team it wouldn’t surprise me if it’s Zouma. 

4 hours ago, Palfy said:

I felt Holgate was poor his positional sense was all over the place at times, and is touch was quite poor. 

I could put that down to being a bit rusty but in truth I don’t think he’s could enough as stand in CB, we all know that not replacing Zouma was potentially going to be our biggest problem the first half of the season, and if Keane or Mina get injured or lose form I saw enough against Lincoln to show me Holgate isn’t the man to replace either of them. 

Come January our first significant signing will be a CB, and after the start he’s having back in the Chelsea team it wouldn’t surprise me if it’s Zouma. 

I'd put it down to rustiness. When the other options were Williams, Jags, and Keane. Holgate was clearly the best of them for me. Ideally you'd have someone more experienced next to him. Hard to think why we never tried to get Cahill. 

1 hour ago, pete0 said:

I'd put it down to rustiness. When the other options were Williams, Jags, and Keane. Holgate was clearly the best of them for me. Ideally you'd have someone more experienced next to him. Hard to think why we never tried to get Cahill. 

Good shout Cahill could have done a decent job first 18 months or so, he didn’t become a poor player he just didn’t see eye to eye with his manager. 

On 30/08/2019 at 01:27, Cornish Steve said:

Just standard coaching when playing bigger teams mate. 

I played against West Brom once and was instructed... get into them, they won’t like it, stand strong and be hard in the tackle, they will back down.

They had a striker, Robinson? I had him in my pocket all game, touched the ball three times in our third..... scored two 🙁

I played really well, but everything he hit was on target and our keeper was nowhere near the level he was. We lost 3-0 but thought we had played amazing 🙁