IGNORED

Lincoln (Carabao Cup Away) Wednesday August 28th

markjazzbassist

A few Lincoln players showing themselves as proper yard dogs, no class at all. That challenge on Richarlison at the end was embarrassing, clearly a superior player and has had the beating of them all game so a cynical challenge with seconds to go... Brilliant. 

Anyway, I only got home after 25 minutes or so and missed the start. In a nutshell, Digne MOTM for that sensational goal and basically running the left wing. His dribble and cross for Charlie's fourth was amazing, had it not been for Jordi Alba ahead of him he'd still be at Barcelona, that free-kick is the kind of goal that I'd happily make love to.

Gutted Kean didn't score, but made up for Iwobi who continues to impress. Sigurdsson did well and just needs to carry this form into the league, he's a top class player but needs to impose himself on more games. 

Lincoln have a 100% record (I think) so far this season and are managed really, really well. At home this was their Champions League final so it was always going to be tough, despite a few scares four goals and a ticket into the next round will send me to bed a happy man.

Oh, and fucking class from Marco Silva telling all the players to give their shirts to the travelling supporters. Really pleased with that attitude.

Surprised the reaction to Holgate but no mention of Keane at all even though he's completely at fault for the second. No conviction and headed it into danger. The lanky lad needs to learn it's not enough to win the ball, you have to make sure. 

Iwobi has been a cut above anything we had last year, a driving force in midfield albeit against a minnow but we did struggle last season against them. 

That is exactly what I want  from my team.we weren’t perfect and people will say it’s lower league. But we attacked, looked really good aswell. We were up for a scrap. Even Pickford ended up in the goal after gilfis pen.little things like Sidibe grabbing the ball off the bellend ballboy. We got goals which will give us confidence . Absolutely job done. Made up 

3 minutes ago, pete0 said:

Surprised the reaction to Holgate but no mention of Keane at all even though he's completely at fault for the second. No conviction and headed it into danger. The lanky lad needs to learn it's not enough to win the ball, you have to make sure. 

Iwobi has been a cut above anything we had last year, a driving force in midfield albeit against a minnow but we did struggle last season against them. 

I’ll take your second half of the post seriously 

34 minutes ago, Aidan said:

Doesn't matter about bedding in at the minute. None of our strikers ever get on the ball against opposition who set out to defend. Its a big problem for us we have no creativity or a player with ability to pick a forward pass. 

Mate I just worry about us putting all our hopes on a kids shoulders and ruining him, like we have done non stop for 20+ years. 

I totally agree with the way Marco is managing him, and suspect that Brands is having his say as well. 

And to be fair, once he made the changes, it was all one way traffic.... not that it wasn’t before, they just scored every effort they had haha. Another day that could have been a 0-5 win.

Happy to see us get through, thought Keane was standing like a statue for the first when the ball broke and then made no effort to get back and defend the cut back, shocking IMO. Delph, Iwobi and Kean impressed and will all come good, Sidibe improved during the match. Digne continues to be out stand out player.

shame the next round is away,  love a game under the floodlights at Goodison.

2 changes to the back 5 so I can understand shipping a few goals.

Iwobi is tops - drives forward with the ball and looks to play positive football. 

Digne is just class - serious shout for captain. 

Kean is ready to start, makes things happen and has a silly amount of skill. Beats players like they are training cones.

Whilst I am still concerned that we were only able to score from open play late in the game and after they have taken a couple of their best players off, the attitude of the players couldn't be faulted. They faced a good battle today against a side that really wanted it and they came through it. We will have easier games in the league. 

In terms of performances, I thought the stand outs were Schneiderlin, Digne and Iwobi. Kean showed flashes of real quality, Siggurdson impressed more as the game went on and he dropped deeper and I thought Holgate did really well. 

Delph was so so, Richarlison was similar but I wasn't particularly impressed with Sidibe and I was even less impressed with Keane who was bullied for the second game in a row. 

Tosun looked lively from the bench too and did well for the help assist. Walcott and DCL added energy too.