IGNORED

West Ham (Home) Friday 1 January

markjazzbassist

1 minute ago, Shukes said:

To be fair mate I put Holgate above him in my worst list in MoM thread. But I will openly admit my bias against him. He just frustrates me for a guy of his size to not be a beast in the air. And when the ball hit him on the cheek and he fell down like he had been shot.... so glad I wasn’t in a pub watching it. It’s the type of things fans get ribbed for haha.

But your right, the biggest worry recently, not just tonight is our creativeness seems to have gone blunt.

Agree, he needs to cut out his play acting shit. There's been games though were Mina takes on the responsibility of the big man and wins that battle. I think Burnley off the top of my head was a good case. Regardless, he isnt a silky smooth defender but he is so far down the list of concerns right now for me.

Credit Carlo, hes got us better at the back - hopefully James and light the fire and get the goals going. Gomes into the 10 spot for me as well because i havent seen him express himself like that for a long time.

It comes to something when your best player comes on mid-way through the second half. Andre Gomes, thank you.

Every starter, other than Pickford, was complete and utter shite but, for me, the worst three were Tom Davies, Mason Holgate and Richarlison. God knows how Davies and Richarlison managed to stay on the pitch the whole game and hopefully Keane comes back in and we have no more nonsense of him being on the bench - first choice CB by a country fucking mile.

Pickford - little to do but done his job when called upon.

Holgate - very shaky. Poor passing playing the others in danger. One good run to carry the ball forward.

Mina - the better of the two. Solid but seemed to get an unfair amount go against him with the ref. 

Godfrey - little shaky at times defensively but offered nothing going forward. Possibly hindered by Richarlison but if that's the case he needs to be shouting at him.

Coleman. Captains performance. Visibly frustrated with the team and tried to force things.

Doucoure and Davies. Controlled the midfield which is astonishing as they had very little help from those around them. Done their best to drive the team forward but were let down by the lack of movement from the rest of them. Defensively they stopped West ham from cutting us open forcing them to go wide. 

Sigurdsson. I've come to expect him to be poor and frustrating but then he somehow managed to lower the bar. Massively hindered the team from getting forward by constantly dragging players in the passing lanes or even worse closer to the player with the ball. Attacking wise he was his usual. Far too reactive and again with the defensive turns rather than looking forward. Lost the ball too early in what was whatever the opposite word of masterclass is. He showed exactly what not to do when playing as an attacking midfielder.

Richarlison. Genuinely wouldn't be arsed if we sold him. The only logical thing I can think was he was selfishly playing within himself as not to pick up an injury. Movement, effort, everything was disgraceful. Takes a lot to be worse than Sigurdsson today but he managed it. He's Brazilian? 

Bernard - bright in flashes in the first half as he tried to make something happen. Second half he was all over the place and not in a good way.

DCL. Didn't see a replay but looked like he threw himself to the floor. Other than the belly flop I don't remember him touching the ball. Blame the three behind him more but usually if he's not had the ball the defenders have still had to put in a shift. I don't think either West ham centre halves will be waking up sore tomorrow.

15 hours ago, Shukes said:

I do mate to be honest. I don’t rate him at all so I am extra picky on him.

But not sure what stats your reading. He won more balls in the air than Ogbonna ( is that him?)?  This is the trouble with stats.... they don’t ring true to the eye.

Watch the goal again mate, you might change your mind. He actually lifts his foot off the floor trying to get it away. He doesn’t try to meet the ball at all. Suppose it’s subjective, but if that’s him trying his best to block a football.... then he literally has wise technical skills than Niasse haha.

The stats are on whoscored.com. Its fairly black and white with that type of thing, not sure they can really get it wrong! 

I have watched it back several times before posting my original comment. He can't move his right at it as his weight is on it. Its physically impossible, so then he is trying to adjust in a split second to get something on it with his left which is what he does. It is a block because he deflects it away from goal. That is his job and he does it. If only Holgate did his!

1 hour ago, pete0 said:

Tom Davies' pass map. The kid ran the game yesterday. 

https://ibb.co/MRkHwQg

Doucoure

https://ibb.co/4mRhXpN

Rice

https://ibb.co/37L3tZr

Soucek

https://ibb.co/T4CNwHF

Yeah I’m not sure what everyone’s issue with Davies is.  I thought he was fine .  Carlo kept him in which meant he was doing his job.  We have issues with playing against a parked bus that have plagued us since Martinez.  We have no fullbacks, Coleman was a ghost out there.  When the other team knows you can’t go wide and won’t cross into the box it’s very simple to setup a game plan to stop us.

We where just toothless in that final 3rd. We know we have a few players to come back, and was a bit of a sucker punch that beat us. Seeing how we played in the first half dozen games, I know we do have the players can get us playing better offensively. 

Defensively we have been very good. so just a case of now getting the right balance of defensive and offensive now. 

we also actually missed Iwobi in this game, he does try and play forward and he will take a man on, so missed that. 

Other bonus in the game was Gomes played well - finger crossed he is getting back to his best.