IGNORED

Southampton (Home) 14th Jan

Romey 1878

6 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

They get a win today just in time for facing us. Lovely!

Palace looked to have the better chances.

Their first goal from a set piece 40 yards out by the touch line, went over everyone & bounce in to the top corner.

Second goal the keeper fucked up & gave it to the striker with an open goal.

11 hours ago, Btay said:

Palace looked to have the better chances.

Their first goal from a set piece 40 yards out by the touch line, went over everyone & bounce in to the top corner.

Second goal the keeper fucked up & gave it to the striker with an open goal.

So basically the blueprint for beating us then - wait for us to make a stupid challenge around the area to give Ward-Prowse the chance from a free-kick, and let us have the ball so we pass it around, going nowhere, until we fuck up and gift them an easy goal.

29 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

So basically the blueprint for beating us then - wait for us to make a stupid challenge around the area to give Ward-Prowse the chance from a free-kick, and let us have the ball so we pass it around, going nowhere, until we fuck up and gift them an easy goal.

Written in the stars!

Pickford

Coleman    Godfrey  Coady  Tarks   Mykolenko

Gana   Onana

Gordon     DCL      Gray

I had a think about this one and how to tackle the loss of Iwobi.  My first thought is I'd like to see Gordon play just in behind DCL as a 10 but actually I'd go with the 3 front but  I want to see Gordon or Gray keeping a lot closer to DCL than they normally do.  If one is out wide the other should be supporting DCL, I'd favour this to be Gordon more often.  This should provide a more central link up with the midfield.

Whilst this is a 5 at the back I want to see plenty of support from the full backs, looking to get forward and get crosses in.  They have lower possession stats than us so we will have to try to break them down with some quick attacking and getting the ball into the box.  Make the most of any opportunity to turn over possession and break quickly.

Bottom of the league, lost their last 6 league games, only 1 goal scored more than us and lost 12 of 18 games.  If we can't win this one then we're doomed

I'm inclined to agree with Bailey that this is a must win game even though we are only halfway through the season, if we draw or lose this the pressure on the manager and team will start to become insurmountable. We can't keep on dropping points to the team's around us and expect to get to safety, a win against Southampton and a draw at worst against West Ham will go a long way to boost confidence. 

8 hours ago, Bailey said:

I disagree, I think this is a must win.

If we can win this and at West Ham it will move us a decent way up the table and hopefully things will feel a bit more optimistic.

If we pick up 2 points or less from the next two games, safety could feel quite a long way away given the games that follow.

Absolutely a must win. At home, negative feel around the club. 

Classic Evertonian hope here but IF we can get 2 wins against Southhampton & West Ham and a draw against either Arsenal or Liverpool we will be moving right up the table. It's congested at the moment, 2 points from 13th & the teams around us have tricky periods as well. We just need to pull a run of points from somewhere & these next 2 games are a golden opportunity.

Not been happy with Patterson or Myko recent performances.  Wonder what something like this would do? Like the 4-5-1 Lampard was using when things were tough towards the end of last season?

Pickford

Coleman  Coady  Tarkowski  Godfrey 

Gordon   Doucoure  Gana  Onana  Gray

DCL 

15 hours ago, plaidharper said:

Not been happy with Patterson or Myko recent performances.  Wonder what something like this would do? Like the 4-5-1 Lampard was using when things were tough towards the end of last season?

Pickford

Coleman  Coady  Tarkowski  Godfrey 

Gordon   Doucoure  Gana  Onana  Gray

DCL 

I thought Godfrey had a shocker against United, so I wouldn't want him playing LB in a game we need to try and win.

If anything it would be an option to start Vinagre but I think we need to accept all of our fullbacks leave a lot to be desired at the moment.

42 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I thought Godfrey had a shocker against United, so I wouldn't want him playing LB in a game we need to try and win.

If anything it would be an option to start Vinagre but I think we need to accept all of our fullbacks leave a lot to be desired at the moment.

Godfrey has shown in the past to be more than competent in the LB role, on the defensive side, but as Mykolenko poor going forward. 

1 minute ago, Romey 1878 said:

If Southampton play like this on Saturday they're going to batter us.

It will be interesting to see who has the most of the ball. Despite them playing well, I don’t think they are too threatening with the ball. If we hit them quickly on the transition I think we could get a positive result.

1 minute ago, Romey 1878 said:

Goalkeeping error for me. What the fuck was he doing?!

Absolutely no man’s land. I wouldn’t be surprised if pep made some changes now to be honest. City almost look like us so maybe, we will look like them on the weekend?

4 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Not really what we needed ahead of such a big game! 

I would say I wasn't concerned by the result, but the fact that they also just went on the road and beat Palace in the FA cup gives me pause. 

Not too big of a call to say that the game on Saturday is the biggest of the season. 

1 minute ago, dunlopp9987 said:

I would say I wasn't concerned by the result, but the fact that they also just went on the road and beat Palace in the FA cup gives me pause. 

Not too big of a call to say that the game on Saturday is the biggest of the season. 

Yeh thats it. As we showed a one off result against City doesn't mean anything, but add a come back win against Palace too and it just plants that belief in the manager. 

I am hoping the focus on the league cup semi finals will distract the players as we have seen that lead to poor league form before. Normally players save themselves for the big game but with a new manager I suspect they are all out to prove themselves still.

6 hours ago, Palfy said:

The momentum is definitely with them at this moment in time, and we are probably at our lowest when it comes to belief, if we ever need a early goal it's surely this game. 

5 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Personally I would go with a last minute winner. Im not confident we could hold a lead! 🤣

Just remember Wolves. Scored early and it did nothing to settle us down whatsoever.

I just watched the highlights of last nights game and I was impressed by them. I do think the City changes contributed to the lead they got (Walker was an atrocious CB and Phillips was well off it) but they still held them in the second half when the first team came on. Yes City edged the chances but it wasn't a landslide. I do think it would have only taken one goal for them to sink.

The concern I have is that they hunted the City players in packs, won the ball off them early and they got numbers in defence and attack really quickly. They played a bit like Brighton do from box to box off the ball, just they are really poor up front and they dont create the same width. 

A bit like us their width comes from the fullbacks and then by getting numbers into the box. Whether that was a City specific plan or how Jones plays, I dont know. If we are back in our defensive shape that should suit us as its what our defenders like and it should give us space to counter. If we are caught on the transition then its what our defenders hate as they shit themselves whenever they start running towards their own goal.