IGNORED

Summer 2023 Transfer Window (The Great Everton Depression)

23 minutes ago, Btay said:

I think you will find he is holding out to see how much game time he gets. Give him a run in the team for a while, assess where he is at & offer him a contract that reflects his position in the squad.

They have offered him a contract which he won't sign so we have to sell the same with Iwobi also.

4 hours ago, RPG said:

I would be inclined to offer Branthwaite a better package. He is better than Holgate so that's a starting point of 70k pw!

Holgate is on 72k I believe, but let’s not base what players are worth on an over inflated wage for someone who shouldn’t be getting anywhere near that, if he was elsewhere I think he would be doing very well to get between 25-30k. Branthwaite should be no more than 30-35k at best he’s unproven at this level, and if we stick him on a contract starting with 70k plus and he doesn’t cut the mustard, we will have a player who we can’t sell but will be happy to pick his wages up every week. 

24 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Holgate is on 72k I believe, but let’s not base what players are worth on an over inflated wage for someone who shouldn’t be getting anywhere near that, if he was elsewhere I think he would be doing very well to get between 25-30k. Branthwaite should be no more than 30-35k at best he’s unproven at this level, and if we stick him on a contract starting with 70k plus and he doesn’t cut the mustard, we will have a player who we can’t sell but will be happy to pick his wages up every week. 

You are spot on 👍

4 hours ago, Btay said:

I think you will find he is holding out to see how much game time he gets. Give him a run in the team for a while, assess where he is at & offer him a contract that reflects his position in the squad.

However you view the Eredivisie, Branthwaite turned out 33 times for PSV. 2nd in the division and won a cup. 

57 minutes ago, plaidharper said:

Still have two domestic loans to utilize. 

Wonder if we should get Chelsea on the phone.  Their squad is still huge after the firesale.  Broja, Lewis Hall, Cholabah?

Who do you think we should be looking at?

Lewis Hall 

5 hours ago, Gwlad said:

However you view the Eredivisie, Branthwaite turned out 33 times for PSV. 2nd in the division and won a cup. 

So he can go and get 20k a week from them then. There are only a handful of players in the whole dutch league on 40k a week.  

joking aside - what have we actually offered him in terms of weekly wage - I've not seen anything?

3 hours ago, Goodison Glory said:

So he can go and get 20k a week from them then. There are only a handful of players in the whole ditch league on 40k a week.  

joking aside - what have we actually offered him in terms of weekly wage - I've not seen anything?

35k I was told

27 minutes ago, Shukes said:

So is Branthwaite any good? Watched him in the friendly for a half and he did ok. No more than ok though. Not sure why we are thinking of offering him massive wages. 

He's young and showed a couple of promising glimpses here and there so naturally he's now messiah of CBs... keep up mate!

1 hour ago, RPG said:

I think that is another reason why we should have kept Coady. It would have given us the opportunity to take the pressure off Branthwaite by easing him into the team gently. As it is at the moment, he will likely be thrown into the starting 11 and will instantly get vilified after one mistake. In no time at all he becomes another Holgate or Davies.

Did he become a scapegoat when we were beating Brentford and then he cost us a penalty and was sent off and then we went on to lose the game?

I don't think he did as far as I can remember.

1 hour ago, StevO said:

Would still love to know your source for all of this info on Branthwaite. 

What we need to do is offer him 40k if he doesn’t accept we sell him. 
do I think he’s worth that amount no. 
but we can’t afford to let him walk for nothing at the end of season. 

Lets not forget that this pre-season is the first time Dyche has been able to see him up close and regularly.

He has to adapt to a very different style of football than he was playing last season and he has come back late due to the World Cup.

I am sure they will assess him and if they think he is good enough he will start, and probably get a better wage package on top of that. It isn't like we have any outstanding defensive talent standing in the way of his progression!

11 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Did he become a scapegoat when we were beating Brentford and then he cost us a penalty and was sent off and then we went on to lose the game?

I don't think he did as far as I can remember.

I criticised him at the time because it was a dumb mistake and he looked very shaky even prior to that moment - seemed overawed - which is likely because of lack o experience...he has a year more experience so clean slate for me. 

Just now, Goodison Glory said:

I criticised him at the time because it was a dumb mistake and he looked very shaky even prior to that moment - seemed overawed - which is likely because of lack o experience...he has a year more experience so clean slate for me. 

That’s hardly scapegoating him, criticising him when he clearly fucked up. 

9 hours ago, patto said:

One day, one day, you’ll tell me the source of your information. Unfortunately, today is not that day. 😢

10 hours ago, patto said:

Branthwaite’s contracted until 2025.

7 hours ago, c1982 said:

Branthwaite’s contracted until 2025.

Yes but it’s a complicated contract that changes after a certain amount of games hence Everton have already offered him a different contract. 
it’s a case of can we afford to pay him what he wants or is due with games played. 

1 hour ago, patto said:

Yes but it’s a complicated contract that changes after a certain amount of games hence Everton have already offered him a different contract. 
it’s a case of can we afford to pay him what he wants or is due with games played. 

Please explain? Does it trigger an extension or a release clause? The contract can’t get shorter if he doesn’t play surely?