IGNORED

Summer 2023 Transfer Window (The Great Everton Depression)

I think we are no worse off than last season....that's not to say I'm delighted with the squad...I just don't think we are worse off.

mina/coady - essentially replaced  by branthwaite.

simms didn't contribute much either and I'm sure cannon won't do any worse.

Davies didn't contribute much either but in terms of a body let's just say Gomes has replaced him. 

Vinagre didn't play really but for this exercise, Young can replace him.

the other senior players who left didn't contribute anything either - Moise Kean and Townsend.

financially we are better off (still in the shit but we are def better off than last year)

Add to this Danjuma and we are def not worse off, you could argue we are better off both in terms of personnel and finances. That doesn't mean we don't need to strengthen. 

2 hours ago, RPG said:

The only thing that worries me is that, at the wrong time, we lose non Afcon players to injuries and suspensions, then lose the Afcon players to the Afcon tournament. I am not sure we have the depth to cope with that.

afcon is not until 2025 right? so a few more windows until then

We were 30 minutes away from being relegated last season so every single contribution by players we’ve lost was hugely significant

Coady played 24 time last season and had a major influence in the first half of the season and along with Mina was a huge character/ leader in the dressing room so whilst we all hope Branthwaite can hit the ground running and go some way to filling the void they’ve left I still think they will be missed

The bottom line is the squad depth was woeful last season and we now have an even smaller squad so it’s still a major concern, especially with the Afcon looming

The versatility of Young and Danjuma will be vital and will go some way to appeasing that . If we can get El Bilal Toure and Gnoto over the line then things will look a lot healthier but I’m still concerned over who the three expected outgoing are

Looks like Tom Cannon to PNE is one of those , and I think that’s a good move for all concerned IF we get a CF in

If the other 2 are any from Gbamin, Holgate , Maupay or Gomes then fair enough we can take the hit

IN: Young
OUT: Nkounkou, Kean, Simms, Samuels-Smith
LOAN IN: Danjuma
LOAN OUT: Tyrer
CONTRACT RENEWED/EXTENDED: Seamus, Lonergan, J Virginia

YOUTH CONTRACTS: Sherif, Jones, Barker, Tierney, Heath, Butler, Djankpata

Out of contract: Begovic, Mina, Davies, Townsend
Returned to parent club: Coady, Vinagre

Depth:
GK - Pickford, Virginia, Lonergan
RB - Patterson, Coleman
CB - Tarky, Branthwaite, Keane, Godfrey, Holgate
LB - Mykolenko, Young
CM - Gana, Onana, Doucoure, Garner, Dele, Gbamin, Gomes, Warrington, Onyango
W - Iwobi, McNeil, Danjuma, Gray
ST - DCL, Maupay, Cannon, Dobbin

LOAN OUT: Tyrer, Warrington, Mills

Depth:
RB - Patterson, Coleman
LB - Mykolenko, Young
CM - Gana, Onana, Doucoure, Garner, Dele, Gbamin, Gomes, Onyango

1 hour ago, AlbanyNYToffee said:

LOAN OUT: Tyrer, Warrington, Mills

Depth:
RB - Patterson, Coleman
LB - Mykolenko, Young
CM - Gana, Onana, Doucoure, Garner, Dele, Gbamin, Gomes, Onyango

Given our situation I'd be relatively happy with that squad as long as we did say 3 more (one in/one out moves like Maupay, Gbamin and maybe Holgate - assuming the 3 in were upgrades.

If we look at this window so far as adding for the future it’s very disappointing, we have signed one player for a year and loaned another for a year with no option to buy, both very short term influences on the team, with about 5 weeks to go in this window it would be nice to get a couple of players for the long term. 

Just now, Wall Writer said:

Seems to have gone a bit quiet considering when Danjuma came in, we allegedly had another one pretty much coming in at the same time and one more coming a little after that?

Myers confirmed Toure as the striker but that seems beyond us now and commented on the Gnonto links which may go on for a little while but confirmed contact.

1 hour ago, Shukes said:

Today’s performance must be telling the club that we are in need. We look absolutely terrible.

Make ya mind up not long ago you were telling us we were alright 😉 I never had the chance to watch it family shit and all that malarkey, what area or areas were we lacking in. 

I think its easier to name the positions we don't need. 

Both centre backs look shaky. 

Patterson doesn't defend or attack well enough to be first choice.

Midfield lacks almost any quality, its saving grace is the energy from Doucoure, Onana and Gueye(ish). Garner might patch it all together when he is match fit but its a big ask. 

Iwobi on the right wing will do a job but he is inconsistent as hell. 

We need a striker that can act as a focal point when Dom is injured.

Not too much to be concerned about.

1 minute ago, Bailey said:

Midfield lacks almost any quality, its saving grace is the energy from Doucoure, Onana and Gueye(ish). Garner might patch it all together when he is match fit but its a big ask. 

Probably the most positive post you’ve ever posted - fair play 👍🏼

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

Make ya mind up not long ago you were telling us we were alright 😉 I never had the chance to watch it family shit and all that malarkey, what area or areas were we lacking in. 

We were ok off the pitch, on it…. Pretty much shit all over mate. 
We did put a few good balls in the box second half, but Maupay was never going to do anything with them.

Set up a few good shooting opportunities… which all seemed to fall to Gana 🙄

Final ball was really lacking as usual.

Hope your family time was better than watching that mate.

37 minutes ago, Shukes said:

We were ok off the pitch, on it…. Pretty much shit all over mate. 
We did put a few good balls in the box second half, but Maupay was never going to do anything with them.

Set up a few good shooting opportunities… which all seemed to fall to Gana 🙄

Final ball was really lacking as usual.

Hope your family time was better than watching that mate.

Very worrying Fulham in a couple of weeks and transfer window closes in just over 4 weeks, thanks for the update mate it’s not hard to picture it after your post, sounds a bit like normal service has resumed. 

Will be last minute transfers as we have little money and players will come to us once we are the most attractive option, which will be when most pl clubs have signed their players. So feeding off scraps.

I'm sure there are some good deals to be had. I believe we will sign 3 or 4 more at least. Just a question of who, and how long they take to settle. Not to mention how good they are.

Our window probably starts in a weeks time.

2 hours ago, Bailey said:

A striker that can act as focal point now before Dom is fit.

Sad to say this, I love the lad but facing the truth. 

It’s not all down to money that we’ve missed all the targets they went for as the main striker, the Toure transfer proved that if stories are true we had agreed a fee with Almeria but the player didn’t want to come here. So we need to address the reason why even if we compete on the financial side why do players still not want to join us, the obvious one is the style of football we play and the struggles we’ve had with that in the last two seasons, also the DoF and the manager what is it with them that they can’t sell to perspective players that we are a club in transition worth joining, or is it they do look at our manager and how his teams have played over the last ten years and decide that’s not for. I don’t know what the reason or reasons are why players don’t want to come here it could one of the above or another reason, but what ever it is it needs sorting out before we can progress as a team.