IGNORED

Summer 2023 Transfer Window (The Great Everton Depression)

14 hours ago, dunlopp9987 said:

Looking like another season where we hope there are 3 teams worse than us

Not picking on you specifically, but I don't remember a preseason where we weren't half-arsed and shite against "lesser" opposition, even when we were challenging for Europe.

These are glorified training sessions and the players will be playing accordingly because the games don't matter and won't want to risk injury. As soon as we get competitive games and they still look like that, then I'll worry around February again.

Until then, these are exercise sessions and the window still has a while until its shut. We've been pipped by more attractive clubs but the fact we've had confirmed interest in the likes of Toure, tells me we've got money for 1 big signing and it's going to be a forward. 

It's not all dire, lads. In fact unbeaten in preseason and 2 players in for buttons is actually quite positive. Or at least a lot more positive that I expected :lol:

59 minutes ago, Btay said:

Firstly - I don't think we are offering mega money deals to average players which is a good thing. Walsh was able to get so many players in because he literally threw money at them & it broke us.

Complete rubbish Walsh wasn’t responsible for the players that came in on big money they weren’t his choices they were Moshiri’s and Kenwright’s choice’s on the whole, as he said the players I had lined up and had ready to sign were knocked back for who they wanted signed, this was all so repeated with Brands who for some reason you neglected to mention who under his tenure spent treble the money Walsh did and pushed our wages bill through the stratosphere, he said not down to him what do you think? Also what you have said is just to regurgitate the same old same that’s been said and used as an excuse by so many for years without success. So if it isn’t the DoF or the manager who holds the key to persuade players to sign for us then who does?

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Not picking on you specifically, but I don't remember a preseason where we weren't half-arsed and shite against "lesser" opposition, even when we were challenging for Europe.

These are glorified training sessions and the players will be playing accordingly because the games don't matter and won't want to risk injury. As soon as we get competitive games and they still look like that, then I'll worry around February again.

Until then, these are exercise sessions and the window still has a while until its shut. We've been pipped by more attractive clubs but the fact we've had confirmed interest in the likes of Toure, tells me we've got money for 1 big signing and it's going to be a forward. 

It's not all dire, lads. In fact unbeaten in preseason and 2 players in for buttons is actually quite positive. Or at least a lot more positive that I expected :lol:

I think that in the modern game, pre-season is more important than ever. Players come back far fitter than they ever used to. They do more ball work than they ever used to. Pre-season is just about getting back that match sharpness, which is hard to regulate in these type of games anyway and the other part of it is trying and tweaking new tactics and ideas. I thought both teams looked pretty sharp in the first 20 minutes of the Bolton game (which Bolton carried on for the full 45 mins), whereas yesterday we were well off the pace, almost throughout. 

I only really remember one season recently where we looked shite in pre-season then turned the taps on in the first game of the week and started well. That was under a certain Carlo Ancellotti season, with the introduction of a certain James Rodriguez, but look how that ended up as well. 

The best pre-season I remember (Martinez - 1st season) ended in our best points finish. 

I will say though that this next game is somewhat the litmus test. A decent side at home in the last game before the season starts. If the players aren't sharp and the tactics aren't pretty much nailed down for that game it will be a very bumpy ride again. We don't have the luxury of being able to start slow. A lot is being made of our impotent attack but we have also allowed some quite good chances at the other end, against very average players and teams. If we do that against teams with the quality of Sporting, we will concede. 

5 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I think that in the modern game, pre-season is more important than ever. Players come back far fitter than they ever used to. They do more ball work than they ever used to. Pre-season is just about getting back that match sharpness, which is hard to regulate in these type of games anyway and the other part of it is trying and tweaking new tactics and ideas. I thought both teams looked pretty sharp in the first 20 minutes of the Bolton game (which Bolton carried on for the full 45 mins), whereas yesterday we were well off the pace, almost throughout. 

I only really remember one season recently where we looked shite in pre-season then turned the taps on in the first game of the week and started well. That was under a certain Carlo Ancellotti season, with the introduction of a certain James Rodriguez, but look how that ended up as well. 

The best pre-season I remember (Martinez - 1st season) ended in our best points finish. 

I will say though that this next game is somewhat the litmus test. A decent side at home in the last game before the season starts. If the players aren't sharp and the tactics aren't pretty much nailed down for that game it will be a very bumpy ride again. We don't have the luxury of being able to start slow. A lot is being made of our impotent attack but we have also allowed some quite good chances at the other end, against very average players and teams. If we do that against teams with the quality of Sporting, we will concede. 

Not saying it doesn't serve an important purpose, but it's all about fitness rather than sharpness. Sharpness will be focused on more in the training ground with particular exercises. 

Im on my hols for my 40th so trying to be positive. None of these games actually matter and the window isn't closed. There's nothing to worry about.

Yet...

29 minutes ago, Matt said:

Not saying it doesn't serve an important purpose, but it's all about fitness rather than sharpness. Sharpness will be focused on more in the training ground with particular exercises. 

Im on my hols for my 40th so trying to be positive. None of these games actually matter and the window isn't closed. There's nothing to worry about.

Yet...

Put it this way, I am certainly less worried about us than I was under Lampard but at the same time, I was hoping to see some general improvements compared to last season. The latter may come yet and I am sure we will see a couple more new faces too. 

Enjoy your holiday!

15 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Put it this way, I am certainly less worried about us than I was under Lampard but at the same time, I was hoping to see some general improvements compared to last season. The latter may come yet and I am sure we will see a couple more new faces too. 

Enjoy your holiday!

Well we're unbeaten so that's an improvement and there's been a lot of rotation. It's a lot better than Lampard already  :lol:

Stoke aren’t a pushover side either. They are a championship side. And I didn’t think we ever looked like losing the game, just never thought we would score either. 

I am hoping that Dom is all about being precautionary and he will be ready come the season start.

I also think we will get another signing in.

8 minutes ago, Shukes said:

Stoke aren’t a pushover side either. They are a championship side. And I didn’t think we ever looked like losing the game, just never thought we would score either. 

I am hoping that Dom is all about being precautionary and he will be ready come the season start.

I also think we will get another signing in.

Do you have any idea who that will be or what position we will get?

2 hours ago, Palfy said:

Complete rubbish Walsh wasn’t responsible for the players that came in on big money they weren’t his choices they were Moshiri’s and Kenwright’s choice’s on the whole, as he said the players I had lined up and had ready to sign were knocked back for who they wanted signed, this was all so repeated with Brands who for some reason you neglected to mention who under his tenure spent treble the money Walsh did and pushed our wages bill through the stratosphere, he said not down to him what do you think? Also what you have said is just to regurgitate the same old same that’s been said and used as an excuse by so many for years without success. So if it isn’t the DoF or the manager who holds the key to persuade players to sign for us then who does?

Not entirely mate. Walsh's vision was Giroud & Gylfi, so he went all out on gylfi. I am certain Moshiri did not target Sandro nor did he demand we sign Bolasie. I have seen the interviews where he said he wanted Robertson but its easy to say that after he has left. Brand's was not much better but the Gylfi, Sandro, Tosun, Walcott, Williams, Klassen, Schneiderlin  off the top of my head is our worst period of signings. Admittedly Moshiri & Kenwright have fucked us but any DoF worth their wage (which was massive, Brands included) would not have allowed what transpired, end of.

I never said the DoF or manager aren't crucial in convincing a player to join us, I merely pointed out that Dyche must have an extra hard time convincing someone to sign for us for the reason mentioned in the post above.

1 minute ago, Palfy said:

Do you have any idea who that will be or what position we will get?

I have just as much idea as yourself Palf. 
Im hoping it’s another forward.

Would love to see a forward and a creative mid. But I think that is living in Barbie land.

I would like it to be Gnonto and a goalscorer. Wouldn’t mind is taking a chance on that young kid in one of the other threads.

23 minutes ago, Shukes said:

I have just as much idea as yourself Palf. 
Im hoping it’s another forward.

Would love to see a forward and a creative mid. But I think that is living in Barbie land.

I would like it to be Gnonto and a goalscorer. Wouldn’t mind is taking a chance on that young kid in one of the other threads.

Does Danjuma not fit that profile for you or do you think we need another creative player on top of him?

1 minute ago, Bailey said:

Does Danjuma not fit that profile for you or do you think we need another creative player on top of him?

I think we need a creative central player. 
I would class Danjuma more of a direct player than a creative player. 
For all of the potential that Onana has, I think he is a long term replacement for Gana. He will be the player that breaks up play and links up.

We still need that central figure who dictates play for me. Could that be Garner?

6 hours ago, Shukes said:

I think we need a creative central player. 
I would class Danjuma more of a direct player than a creative player. 
For all of the potential that Onana has, I think he is a long term replacement for Gana. He will be the player that breaks up play and links up.

We still need that central figure who dictates play for me. Could that be Garner?

I think we certainly need a lot more technical players in midfield and if one has a bit of vision it would be welcome! 

I agree about Onana. He could be a genuine box-to-box player. He can do the defensive work of a Gana and get forward and create problems in the opposition box whether that be from his passing or breaking forward. He just needs lots of refining yet.

Maybe Garner could do that. I am not sure how high his ceiling is. I see him as a Ward-Prowse type who has a solid all round game and excellent technique that will fall short of the highest level. He might make it to a Barry level of quality but thats a way off yet. He might need a bit more of a physical presence about him. I am looking forward to seeing how he does develop and where he ends up because he showed in the Championship that he can contribute by way of goals and assists.

What we still need is what we've needed for 12 months now: a striker who can score goals. Everything else is secondary. We need a goalscorer - full stop.

As others have written, players from Europe see no reason to join an English team that is struggling to avoid relegation, has fans protesting ownership, and who face an FFP inquiry. Why would they? Psychologically, we should now focus, if not too late, on a hungry goalscorer from the Championship. Options remain at Leeds, but who else is there? Any chance of convincing Akbom or Piroe or Bradshaw? (I don't really know these players, but each was prolific last year.)

As it stands:

Gk - fine… maybe more experience to replace Begovic but Virginia seems a decent enough back-up.

Defence - okay for the start of the season with Patterson, Tarkowski, Keane, Branthwaite, Godfrey, Young with Coleman and Mykolenko to return - could do with more cover but okay - need to shift Holgate.

Central areas - plenty of options in Gueye, Garner, Onana, Doucoure, Iwobi and maybe Dele but need to shift Gomes and Gbamin but okay for now. Maybe bring in some quality when there’s more value in the market at the end of August.

Wingers - good starters in Iwobi and McNeil - options in Young, Gray and Danjuma - pretty short in this area but we can probably wait until the end of the window.

Strikers - the one area that needs addressing instantly - everything points to DCL here - with him, our system is fine, we’ll get the best out of other players - without him, we’ve got Maupay, Danjuma or Gray lost as lone strikers - they can’t do it in our system. We need a solution now - this is the one position that can’t wait. It doesn’t need to be the DCL replacement - that’d be great e.g Bilal Toure but someone like Che Adams could be exactly what we need in the meantime *Che Adams - he’s shite he is* - he’s not glamorous or exciting nor does he score a great deal of goals but he fits and allows us to develop a system bringing the best out of McNeil, Iwobi, Danjuma, even bringing midfield players in… look at our best performance last season vs Brighton - no goals from DCL but that link up play was incredible. Someone like Adams allows this - hopefully he’d just be a stop gap while we progress and improve and we ‘out grow’ him but he’d be a huge upgrade on Maupay, Danjuma, Gray, Cannon, Dobbin as a main striker in this system.

9 minutes ago, c1982 said:

As it stands:

Gk - fine… maybe more experience to replace Begovic but Virginia seems a decent enough back-up.

Defence - okay for the start of the season with Patterson, Tarkowski, Keane, Branthwaite, Godfrey, Young with Coleman and Mykolenko to return - could do with more cover but okay - need to shift Holgate.

Central areas - plenty of options in Gueye, Garner, Onana, Doucoure, Iwobi and maybe Dele but need to shift Gomes and Gbamin but okay for now. Maybe bring in some quality when there’s more value in the market at the end of August.

Wingers - good starters in Iwobi and McNeil - options in Young, Gray and Danjuma - pretty short in this area but we can probably wait until the end of the window.

Strikers - the one area that needs addressing instantly - everything points to DCL here - with him, our system is fine, we’ll get the best out of other players - without him, we’ve got Maupay, Danjuma or Gray lost as lone strikers - they can’t do it in our system. We need a solution now - this is the one position that can’t wait. It doesn’t need to be the DCL replacement - that’d be great e.g Bilal Toure but someone like Che Adams could be exactly what we need in the meantime *Che Adams - he’s shite he is* - he’s not glamorous or exciting nor does he score a great deal of goals but he fits and allows us to develop a system bringing the best out of McNeil, Iwobi, Danjuma, even bringing midfield players in… look at our best performance last season vs Brighton - no goals from DCL but that link up play was incredible. Someone like Adams allows this - hopefully he’d just be a stop gap while we progress and improve and we ‘out grow’ him but he’d be a huge upgrade on Maupay, Danjuma, Gray, Cannon, Dobbin as a main striker in this system.

Agree with this other than it being Adams we bring in. I think he'd be just like Maupay tbh.

39 minutes ago, c1982 said:

As it stands:

Hard to say Adams will be better than Danjuma or even Cannon as they have hardly kicked a ball for us.

I would like to hope we aiming for something a bit than Che Adams, if we are going down that path we might as well look at Weghoust or similar if we want a link up striker...

1 hour ago, Btay said:

Hard to say Adams will be better than Danjuma or even Cannon as they have hardly kicked a ball for us.

I would like to hope we aiming for something a bit than Che Adams, if we are going down that path we might as well look at Weghoust or similar if we want a link up striker...

Adams holds the ball up, harries and wins flick on… different player to Danjuma and Cannon. Wieghorst may be big but he can’t hold up and bully like Adams and DCL. Adams isn’t as good but offers many qualities we miss when Dom is out.

2 hours ago, c1982 said:

Adams holds the ball up, harries and wins flick on… different player to Danjuma and Cannon. Wieghorst may be big but he can’t hold up and bully like Adams and DCL. Adams isn’t as good but offers many qualities we miss when Dom is out.

Fair enough. Anyone got Count Straq or Lacina Traore's phone numbers?

3 hours ago, c1982 said:

I am with you on this. Basically Adams is a better version of shit, which means that as a team, we will be less shit. 

Barkley is supposedly living in his north-west residence and has been spotted in the area because of this - I personally think there’s no more than this in the rumours. I can’t see us  pursuing this deal as it stands but should Gomes and Gbamin leave, maybe we’d consider him as a short term option.