IGNORED

Doncaster (Away) League Cup - 30/08/23

FairWooney

Just now, Goodison Glory said:

Yes but if we are going to comment on them being shit then we have to comment on the positives. Sure it what you expect, but with so many under whleming it is refreshing to have someone perform as they should and his play (not just goal) has changed the way we play. 

When he subbed on we also quickly started playing better. Sure, it's what you'd expect, but he should get some credit regardless.

Look job done - massive concerns over the performance but for the new striker to come in and get that goal is huge. Doubt he trained at all with the lads. 

Garner/Onana - not ready to run the midfield together, not even close.

Danjuma does have the quality to win us games.

Beto - promising. Refreshing to have a striker who can get on the end of different types of chances. Pace in behind & crosses.

Mauapy - I think he can do a job in that role behind a striker, very different option to Doucoure but we played much better football.

1 minute ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

The fuck was Gueye doing at the end there? Waited about 3-5 business days to lay it off to Beto, exactly as the lad stepped offside. Jesus wept.

But let's not have recency bias...his last contribution was awful but he was one of the best players. He broke stuff up and he moved it through midfield quickly: he even played a couple of nice balls from the edge of the box

1 minute ago, Goodison Glory said:

But let's not have recency bias...his last contribution was awful but he was one of the best players. He broke stuff up and he moved it through midfield quickly: he even played a couple of nice balls from the edge of the box

Best performance from him yet. Won the ball back up the pitch, anything attacking from him though is not his strength.

3 minutes ago, Btay said:

Look job done - massive concerns over the performance but for the new striker to come in and get that goal is huge. Doubt he trained at all with the lads. 

Garner/Onana - not ready to run the midfield together, not even close.

Danjuma does have the quality to win us games.

Beto - promising. Refreshing to have a striker who can get on the end of different types of chances. Pace in behind & crosses.

Mauapy - I think he can do a job in that role behind a striker, very different option to Doucoure but we played much better football.

Godfrey - Shit.

myko - shit

Dobbin - anonymous

Chermiti - Shit. then looked even worse when he was off the pitch because Beto was so much better. 

I'll give Chermiti a pass. He's young and it's only his 2nd game. 

Better second half, and glad we managed to pull ourselves out of the shit. Hopefully, that win will give us the jump we need to get our season started.

Beto - at last a proper forward player. Can't wait for him to become the next Lukaku! Can see plenty of holes in his game, but at least he scored. Maupay even looked better playing off him, able to to run around a bit more and link up play - as for the second goal. 

Overall, just relief we got through that, and that we didn't have to suffer the agony of penalties.

However, we can't let the win whitewash that diabolical first half. Someone has to answer for that, and that someone is Dyche. If we'd have gone on to lose that, I'd have been straight on the Dyche Out bandwagon, and I'm not one for changing managers at the drop of the hat. But he's showed tonight that he might well not be up for the job, because there's is no way we should have been played off the park and embarrassed the way we were by the worst team (position-wise) in the country. 

But if we don't get a result against Sheffield United at the weekend, especially if we play anywhere as near as badly as tonight or we have done recently, then I think the wolves will be out. 

2 minutes ago, Wall Writer said:

Better second half, and glad we managed to pull ourselves out of the shit. Hopefully, that win will give us the jump we need to get our season started.

Beto - at last a proper forward player. Can't wait for him to become the next Lukaku! Can see plenty of holes in his game, but at least he scored. Maupay even looked better playing off him, able to to run around a bit more and link up play - as for the second goal. 

Overall, just relief we got through that, and that we didn't have to suffer the agony of penalties.

However, we can't let the win whitewash that diabolical first half. Someone has to answer for that, and that someone is Dyche. If we'd have gone on to lose that, I'd have been straight on the Dyche Out bandwagon, and I'm not one for changing managers at the drop of the hat. But he's showed tonight that he might well not be up for the job, because there's is no way we should have been played off the park and embarrassed the way we were by the worst team (position-wise) in the country. 

But if we don't get a result against Sheffield United at the weekend, especially if we play anywhere as near as badly as tonight or we have done recently, then I think the wolves will be out. 

Tonight was awful, as was villa.. But in my eyes we clearly outplayed Fulham and Wolves and didn't have anyone available to bury the chances that were created. No doubt if it doesn't turn around now that we (hopefully) have a proper forward I'll be more understanding of people calling for his head, but I'm not sure it's warranted so far.

8 minutes ago, Wall Writer said:

Sorry but I don’t completely agree. This team is low on confidence & belief - he sent out a strong team. The 2 most experienced players set the tone in the first minute - Keane’s no look back pass & Pickfords touch. We needed to settle in to the game but gave them every ounce of belief with that moment. Yes the players were poor after that.

3 changes at half time & Maupay on who got the assist for the winner. Other managers would have waited until 70 odd minutes or 2 goals down to change something.

Outplayed in the first half, subs made all the difference, Gana took control, Beto led the line and showed that he can finish, could have had 3 tonight.

Other than going through I’m happy that Beto and Danjuma are off the mark, as we the whole team.

It will be interesting to see how we play on Saturday with the preferred back 4 and Beto leading the line.

Gana and Beto changed that for us tonight.

Gana gets critics, even tonight despite everything he was doing bang on, there was minimal mention until he didn't play in Beto quick enough. But he made a massive difference in plugging the gap in midfield.

Beto looked more ballsy and determined than all the players combined in the first half. He wrestles with anyone in sight. Runs with power and pace. I think the best use of him will be allowing him to run onto the ball. 

You could say 'ah, it's only Doncaster...'. Nah, fuck that. They played us off the park the first half.

A small thing that caught my eye, whilst he had some 'mare moments, it was good too see Godfrey with those marauding forward runs again. Missed them these last couple of years. I've not give up on the kid yet.