IGNORED

Doncaster (Away) League Cup - 30/08/23

FairWooney

7 minutes ago, Btay said:

Sorry but I don’t completely agree. This team is low on confidence & belief - he sent out a strong team. The 2 most experienced players set the tone in the first minute - Keane’s no look back pass & Pickfords touch. We needed to settle in to the game but gave them every ounce of belief with that moment. Yes the players were poor after that.

3 changes at half time & Maupay on who got the assist for the winner. Other managers would have waited until 70 odd minutes or 2 goals down to change something.

As long as you partially agree, I'm fine with that. 😆

And I don't completely disagree with you. I just don't think the win should paper over what was an embarrassing first half. It really was like watching schoolboys: passing the ball to where players were 5 minutes ago; running forward with your head down straight into deadends; balls bouncing around everywhere; running around like headless chickens; frantic, panicked, and amateur.

It was obvious we were playing straight into their hands; their crowd were bouyed, and they were lifted by that. We needed to calm it down and take the sting and impetus out of them. They were obviously going to be up for it, pumped up with visions of giant-killer glory. We were never going to beat them at that game. And perhaps Gana should have come on after 20 minutes to offer that bit of composure.

But I agree, the right subs were made at half time and we managed to impress a bit more dominance in the second half. Hopefully, we'll kick on from here. But I'm not forgiving that first half because it was an absolute disgrace.

2 minutes ago, Wall Writer said:

As long as you partially agree, I'm fine with that. 😆

And I don't completely disagree with you. I just don't think the win should paper over what was an embarrassing first half. It really was like watching schoolboys: passing the ball to where players were 5 minutes ago; running forward with your head down straight into deadends; balls bouncing around everywhere; running around like headless chickens; frantic, panicked, and amateur.

It was obvious we were playing straight into their hands; their crowd were bouyed, and they were lifted by that. We needed to calm it down and take the sting and impetus out of them. They were obviously going to be up for it, pumped up with visions of giant-killer glory. We were never going to beat them at that game. And perhaps Gana should have come on after 20 minutes to offer that bit of composure.

But I agree, the right subs were made at half time and we managed to impress a bit more dominance in the second half. Hopefully, we'll kick on from here. But I'm not forgiving that first half because it was an absolute disgrace.

Nor should we forgive that half, as long as Dyche has taken learning from it.

Once we get McNeil & Harrison back I’ll judge Dyche closer as at the moment, he has fuck all to work with.

That first half was a shambles but at least we came through it and played like a Premier League side by the end of it. 

Pickford didnt have much to do, but when he did have to deal with he was solid with. I thought he was too keen to get the ball forward in the first half. When we needed composure, he was basically giving the ball away again. 

Mykolenko was just rubbish. I hope this will stop people suggesting he should play ahead of Young.

Keane and Godfrey weren't awful. I thought the former was most solid and when he did make a mistake he made up for it. Godfrey was a big reason why they had that early chance. I thought he was then solid enough before wobbling again when he was moved to RB. He is definitely 4th in the pecking order.

Patterson was so poor yet again. The lad can't pass. Everything is either over hit or under hit. Garner was a big improvement 2nd half. 

Onana was by far the stand out. He is slowly becoming the player we hoped. He still has levels to go. 

Garner played well across all 3 positions he found himself in on the whole. There is a chance he is our first choice RB.

Doucoure was his usual self. Full of running, some good (assist), some bad (their goal). 

Dobbin was poor. He showed that his quality levels really arent high enough at the moment. There is only so far a bit of speed gets you. His movement is sharp but he needs time to develop his decision makong and technique.

Danjuma wasn't loads better, especially first half. If he hadn't of scored, I was going to say that I do feel like it is coming. I get the feeling he will add goals to his game and I hope this one settles him. He is either a bit toothless or he just needs to find his confidence.

Chermiti had a bit of a stinker. For all the good things he showed at the weekend, the ball practically bounced off him today. Welcome to England! 

Beto made a great introduction. He took his goal well and his header was unlucky. He showed pace, stremgth and a good leap. He looks like he gives a shit and he worked hard, making intelligent runs. He fluffed a really good chance and when he had a chance to put the ball in the box he more or less cleared the pitch. Its early days and time will tell us more.

Young came on and he made us more solid in every position he played. 

Gana did ok, showing who he is in a nutshell at the end by winning possession then holding onto the ball for an eternity when he should have slipped Beto through for his second.

The next round against Villa will be a good chance to see if we have learned anything from the other week at least.

33 minutes ago, Bailey said:

That first half was a shambles but at least we came through it and played like a Premier League side by the end of it. 

Pickford didnt have much to do, but when he did have to deal with he was solid with. I thought he was too keen to get the ball forward in the first half. When we needed composure, he was basically giving the ball away again. 

Mykolenko was just rubbish. I hope this will stop people suggesting he should play ahead of Young.

Keane and Godfrey weren't awful. I thought the former was most solid and when he did make a mistake he made up for it. Godfrey was a big reason why they had that early chance. I thought he was then solid enough before wobbling again when he was moved to RB. He is definitely 4th in the pecking order.

Patterson was so poor yet again. The lad can't pass. Everything is either over hit or under hit. Garner was a big improvement 2nd half. 

Onana was by far the stand out. He is slowly becoming the player we hoped. He still has levels to go. 

Garner played well across all 3 positions he found himself in on the whole. There is a chance he is our first choice RB.

Doucoure was his usual self. Full of running, some good (assist), some bad (their goal). 

Dobbin was poor. He showed that his quality levels really arent high enough at the moment. There is only so far a bit of speed gets you. His movement is sharp but he needs time to develop his decision makong and technique.

Danjuma wasn't loads better, especially first half. If he hadn't of scored, I was going to say that I do feel like it is coming. I get the feeling he will add goals to his game and I hope this one settles him. He is either a bit toothless or he just needs to find his confidence.

Chermiti had a bit of a stinker. For all the good things he showed at the weekend, the ball practically bounced off him today. Welcome to England! 

Beto made a great introduction. He took his goal well and his header was unlucky. He showed pace, stremgth and a good leap. He looks like he gives a shit and he worked hard, making intelligent runs. He fluffed a really good chance and when he had a chance to put the ball in the box he more or less cleared the pitch. Its early days and time will tell us more.

Gana did ok, showing who he is in a nutshell at the end by winning possession then holding onto the ball for an eternity when he should have slipped Beto through for his second.

The next round against Villa will be a good chance to see if we have learned anything from the other week at least.

The whole team was a shambles first half 

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

Was thinking what a brilliant assessment until I read your Gana piece,  where you focused on that one play. Young played well but Gana played better. 

8 hours ago, Goodison Glory said:

Was thinking what a brilliant assessment until I read your Gana piece,  where you focused on that one play. Young played well but Gana played better. 

The lad is just unfancied by some. Feels like people watch him closely waiting for him to give the ball away so they can comment.

Take the first match. Iwobi was great, Gana was shit and can’t pass.

Then someone posted the pass accuracy and completion and it showed that Gana actually had better stats than Iwobi. There’s a reason why managers still pick him at his age.

But once we have built up a picture, as humans we find it hard to break that back down. I can’t stand Iwobi, though I do vote him for MotM at times…. But even that’s begrudgingly haha.I feel happy he contributed to something…. But at the same time I’m wishing it was someone else.

6 minutes ago, RuffRob said:

I though Gana made a massive difference when he came on, to the point that it does worry me that we don't seem to have another who does what he does. I would very much like to see efforts in getting a understudy for his position.

Good luck with that, we replaced Gana with himself remember!

I think people are getting over hyped up over Gana’s performance yesterday, he came on and did well against the bottom team in the whole of the English professional league system, is that really a huge achievement and worth all the adulation he’s getting when you look at the gulf between the teams. Let’s see what he does in the next league game and 5 or 6 after that before we start getting to excited about how good he is. 

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

I think people are getting over hyped up over Gana’s performance yesterday, he came on and did well against the bottom team in the whole of the English professional league system, is that really a huge achievement and worth all the adulation he’s getting when you look at the gulf between the teams. Let’s see what he does in the next league game and 5 or 6 after that before we start getting to excited about how good he is. 

It's alright mate, the rest of already know :P

3 hours ago, Palfy said:

Same rule applies for Beto then 🤷‍♂️

3 minutes ago, Newty82 said:

Same rule applies for Beto then 🤷‍♂️

All of them to be honest Newty I’m not impressed with how we performed through out the game, the first half was shockingly embarrassing 🙈 and the second half was only marginally better against a team of their lowly stature, let’s be honest we need to get a bit more perspective on who we played and how we played, we never come away with cruising win over Man City, we struggled to just get a win over Doncaster Rovers who are bottom of league 2 and we didn’t look good at doing it. I’m just looking at who we played how we played and trying to had a bit of perspective and not get excited about the display or the players, they all under achieved some more than others granted considering who we were playing. 

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

All of them to be honest Newty I’m not impressed with how we performed through out the game, the first half was shockingly embarrassing 🙈 and the second half was only marginally better against a team of their lowly stature, let’s be honest we need to get a bit more perspective on who we played and how we played, we never come away with cruising win over Man City, we struggled to just get a win over Doncaster Rovers who are bottom of league 2 and we didn’t look good at doing it. I’m just looking at who we played how we played and trying to had a bit of perspective and not get excited about the display or the players, they all under achieved some more than others granted considering who we were playing. 

And you're right in what you're saying.

However, what I'm reading isn't people getting excited.

It's just simply giving a bit of credit to a player who came on and helped us out massively.

Both Gana and Beto helped us get that result. So a nice 'cheers lads' is exactly what it says on the tin.

41 minutes ago, Newty82 said:

And you're right in what you're saying.

However, what I'm reading isn't people getting excited.

It's just simply giving a bit of credit to a player who came on and helped us out massively.

Both Gana and Beto helped us get that result. So a nice 'cheers lads' is exactly what it says on the tin.

I maybe reading more into some of the comments than I should be. Saturday should be a good marker in seeing if we’ve turned a corner in winning games and if Beto finds it as easy against a Sheffield defence as he did the Doncaster defence, hopefully he bullies the fuck out of them and makes opportunities for others and himself, I like the way he plays and conducts himself, yet his showing against Doncaster was the absolute minimum I’d expect from an Everton player playing against Doncaster, and I hope he has a lot more to come he will need against most of the team’s in the Premier League. He looks to have the size the strength and the heart we want from our forwards, but we haven’t seen enough to know whether he has the ability to be a consistent scorer. He will need time to settle into the team and the league and hopefully he gets it and expectations are realistic and not too high. 

On 31/08/2023 at 00:10, Goodison Glory said:

I have seen a lot of comments about his introduction but I don't fully agree with him. He did well, but I think he benefitted from a much better side. I didn't think there was an issue with Garner/Onana but once the dead wood had come off (Patterson / Chermitti / Dobbin) we were a much better side and we kept the ball a lot better. That wasn't (solely) because of Gueye, it was because when the ball went forward we kept it. Or when it went down the right channel, we didnt immediately turn the ball over. 

So did he improve us, yes. Was he the catalyst, no. Should he have passed the bloody ball at the end, absolutely!