IGNORED

Longest Thread! for Everton Discussion

Zoo

We can only really compare Martinez to Moyes when he's had say 5 years in charge.

I do agree that Martinez inherited a much better squad than Moyes did (because of the fantastic job Moyes did at this club) but we can only judge when Martinez has got his squad in place.

I personally think that this seasons failure is more that we weren't equipped to compete in Europe alongside the Prem - quite resemblent of Moyes finishing 11th after our Champs League/UEFA cup 'adventure'.

Moyes also finished 5th and got to the same stage Roberto did this season. With a much "weaker squad".Personally I think he's bought shit. All his signings are questionable inclusive if the overrated McCarthy and Lukuku (based on price tag)

Mike, the point I'm making is the side Martinez took over was a REGULAR top 7 time. I don't go looking at stats etc before I post it, I'm talking generally mate, there were the season here and there where we were outside of it but 8 out of 11 we were top 7 once 8th an 11th and 17th that's pretty much a consistant top 7 finish no matter which way I write it and more importantly the last 5 years (again I've not looked) we have been thrre like a permanent fixture.

And Moyes inherited a regular Premier League winner. If we look at just that then we can conclude Moyes is a shite manager and a charlatan?

It was the first time in 9 seasons we'd finished outside the top 10. Unless MOTD are lieing. You are conveniently ignoring the fact he took over a top 6 team who'd finished in at least the top 8 consistently.

If you think what you've seen this season has been good football and there is hope under this manager I suggest you follow another sport. The writing is on the wall. This is not poor form. It's a complete mess.

We were talking about comparisons between managers though, it is the first time in nine seasons we've finished outside the top ten but Moyes was only responsible for the last seven of them and that was what we were talking about.

I'm ignoring nothing, I've said that Moyes brought us stability but no success along with an inferiority complex, which is the truth.

The quality of the football has been slated this season as it was every season under Moyes. Far too often not good enough, no argument there so why the infantile suggestion that I follow another sport? This is a grown up conversation, if you think that's a useful contribution I suggest you post on another forum.

So when we finished 17th in his second full season were your mates giving up their season tickets? Or when we finished 11th in his fourth? We'd dropped ten places in the first example, and dropped from CL qualification to bottom half in the second. We didn't sack him no matter how awful we were, we backed him and he went on to get us a bit of stability (though no success) and now people are wanting to ditch Martinez after a better start. We've dropped six places but got to the knock-out phase in Europe, winning the "group of death" with a game to spare. Few weeks ago we stuffed ManU 3-0; when we were in trouble on twenty-eight points after a shite Christmas we manned up.

You don't give up on a manager, or a club, after a season like that after sticking with them when they've been in last game relegation fights. Makes no sense to me.

My mates aren't giving up season tickets mate, no idea what you're talking about there.

We're missing one VERY important factor Mike. Moyes took over when we were in a Very dark place anything was better than what we had been through the last decade (give or take) so no, nobody was up in arms everyone was just relieved we were on the up ( even with the down seasons) but we have progressed from that, we're a completely different animal to what we were when Moyes took over in a much stronger and healthier position so fans are not happy with mediocrity. When Moyes took over we were happy with salvation.

We were talking about comparisons between managers though, it is the first time in nine seasons we've finished outside the top ten but Moyes was only responsible for the last seven of them and that was what we were talking about.

I'm ignoring nothing, I've said that Moyes brought us stability but no success along with an inferiority complex, which is the truth.

The quality of the football has been slated this season as it was every season under Moyes. Far too often not good enough, no argument there so why the infantile suggestion that I follow another sport? This is a grown up conversation, if you think that's a useful contribution I suggest you post on another forum.

You are blinded

My mates aren't giving up season tickets mate, no idea what you're talking about there.

We're missing one VERY important factor Mike. Moyes took over when we were in a Very dark place anything was better than what we had been through the last decade (give or take) so no, nobody was up in arms everyone was just relieved we were on the up ( even with the down seasons) but we have progressed from that, we're a completely different animal to what we were when Moyes took over in a much stronger and healthier position so fans are not happy with mediocrity. When Moyes took over we were happy with salvation.

Someone said that, if it wasn't you then fair enough I take it back.

How were we "on the up" when we finished 17th :huh:?

Edit: Anyway, have "Game of Thrones" on pause so I'll be out of here for a while :). Don't say nasty things behind my back :shaking fist:.

It was me that said I knew of 3 people who aren't renewing next season. Can't understand it myself and I'm sure they'll regret it. Even though they'll be saved from high blood pressure like myself!

Edit: Anyway, have "Game of Thrones" on pause so I'll be out of here for a while :). Don't say nasty things behind my back :shaking fist:.

No it wasn't me who said that but no need to " take it back" we're adults having an adult conversation. No point scoring on either side needed and certainly no offence taken my side.

We obviously wasn't on the up @ 17th but Moyes had the "moyes out" treatment painted on Goodisom so it wasn't plain sailing but we were in the doldrums when he took over so people were naturally more acceptant of yhat finish. We're now used to better things so we expect better.

As I've said it's not just the league position it's the drabsideways football, the lack of passion and his bullshit that's worn me down. At least there was honesty and not utter shit coming from Moyes.

Its an accumulation of things for me not just one deciding factor.

Right if you're going to watch Game of Thrones I'm off to call Crusty names for my own amusement.

It was me that said I knew of 3 people who aren't renewing next season. Can't understand it myself and I'm sure they'll regret it. Even though they'll be saved from high blood pressure like myself!

I knew it was you but I wasn't throwing your name in the hat. See the trouble you get me in with youe loose tongue :shaking fist: :P

Edited by Paddock

I knew it was you but I wasn't throwing your name in the hat. See the trouble you get me in with youe loose tongue :shaking fist: :P

I'm more offended that you were mistakenly taken for a dashing young man such as myself :P. Mike is getting old though, the Alzheimer's has probably kicked in!

I'm more offended that you were mistakenly taken for a dashing young man such as myself :P. Mike is getting old though, the Alzheimer's has probably kicked in!

He'll of fell asleep half way throughGame of Thronesand set his slippers on fire leaving his feet to close to the fire warming them.

Knocking bet.

He'll of fell asleep half way throughGame of Thronesand set his slippers on fire leaving his feet to close to the fire warming them.

Knocking bet.

Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night’s Watch, for this night and all the nights to come (unless I burn my slippers by accident in which case the above is invalid).

Roberto Martinez.

“[/size]Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night’s Watch, for this night and all the nights to come (unless I burn my slippers by accident in which case the above is invalid).[/size]”[/size]

Roberto Martinez.[/size]

Great book

Night gathers, and now my watch phenominally begins. It shall not end until my perfect death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children until I am perfect. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory because we got beat. 3-0. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness with a real intensity. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the fire that burns against the cold that is why I signed Aruna Kone who is, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers is Antolin Alcaraz, the shield that guards the realms of men. Is Gareth Barry I pledge my life and honor to the Nights Watch and Bill Kenwright, for this night and all the nights to come (until we start playing decent football in which case all is invalid).

Roberto Martinez.

Fixed.

Came last :dry:. Annoying thing is that the Giggs goal that won it was no better that Ross v Newcastle. It's "legendary" due to the occasion rather than the quality.

Mark Lawrenson's goal of the 1980s: Graeme Sharp for Everton against Liverpool in 1984.

Everton, without a league title since 1970, were a resurgent force under Howard Kendall. When Graeme Sharp skipped away from Mark Lawrenson and smashed a 30-yard drive beyond Bruce Grobbelaar, Everton had a first win at Anfield in 14 years and sent a clear warning that they were genuine title contenders. They went on to win the First Division by 13 points from their city rivals.

Lawrenson said: "It came from a long ball forward from Gary Stevens which came over my head. I always swear that Graeme was offside but, even though he had got the wrong side of me, I remember thinking 'well if he goes to run with it I will catch him easily' - in those days I was supposedly quick.

"When he went to hit it, I thought 'that's alright, Brucie will deal with that' but it was an absolute wonder-strike. Sharpie was a great player, who never got as much praise as he should have done, but he never scored another goal like that either.

"It was a big goal in a big game because of how much it propelled Everton forwards. Before then, they had not won at Anfield since they won the title in 1970. That goal gave them massive belief that they could go on and win it again - which they did. We already knew they were the new team challenging us, but we realised then that they meant business, and just how good they were."

Came last :dry:. Annoying thing is that the Giggs goal that won it was no better that Ross v Newcastle. It's "legendary" due to the occasion rather than the quality.

Mark Lawrenson's goal of the 1980s: Graeme Sharp for Everton against Liverpool in 1984.

Everton, without a league title since 1970, were a resurgent force under Howard Kendall. When Graeme Sharp skipped away from Mark Lawrenson and smashed a 30-yard drive beyond Bruce Grobbelaar, Everton had a first win at Anfield in 14 years and sent a clear warning that they were genuine title contenders. They went on to win the First Division by 13 points from their city rivals.

Lawrenson said: "It came from a long ball forward from Gary Stevens which came over my head. I always swear that Graeme was offside but, even though he had got the wrong side of me, I remember thinking 'well if he goes to run with it I will catch him easily' - in those days I was supposedly quick.

"When he went to hit it, I thought 'that's alright, Brucie will deal with that' but it was an absolute wonder-strike. Sharpie was a great player, who never got as much praise as he should have done, but he never scored another goal like that either.

"It was a big goal in a big game because of how much it propelled Everton forwards. Before then, they had not won at Anfield since they won the title in 1970. That goal gave them massive belief that they could go on and win it again - which they did. We already knew they were the new team challenging us, but we realised then that they meant business, and just how good they were."

He scored with an equally good * Van Bastenesque"volley at home to Spurs in the same season