IGNORED

So where are we going to finish?

We will see how the season pans out, but i think we need some new faces especially in midfield, but i can see that saga of Felli going and no one coming in.

If that happens then i'm afraid Billy Boy will be facing a slight revolt - I dont think it will. I think RM has McCarthy lined up as an immediate replacement, based on what I seen yesterday McCarthy would take Osmans place as he is more accurate with his passing, i think a trio of Gibson, McCarthy and Barkley would be very tidy.

This seems like a duplicate thread as sure we've already discussed this before sometime recent, but in event, can only reiterate that I believe we will finish just outside the european places, but then there could be an opening due to other clubs endeavors and finishes. Between seventh and tenth seems the most likely outcome. Not expecting great things in Martinez' first season. I'd be pleased enough with a domestic trophy even if we finished lower mid-table to be truthful.

I would take a top half finish in return for a more developed youth system, a squad in greater numbers and a more attractive style of play. I always admired how moyes would get such lucrative league positions with such an average team... Then it hit me, I actually don't think he got the most out of a very decent team compared with the average premiership side.

Somewhere in the 10th-6th bracket depending on what we see from the rest of the league.

The way to beat us will be to press us high up the pitch (as it always has been) and teams like Soton will probably cause us a few problems.

For me the most important thing about this season is that we finish strongly playing like Roberto's team. We need to get the groundwork in and hope that we can see a big improvement as the season comes to and end, to set us up for next year.

The Real Madrid and Juventus results and performances were encouraging and we've got a decent set of players that you believe can accomplish something. I'm pleased and relieved in equal measure that Moyes has departed and we finally have a new name to lead us on and see what it achieves. For the last time, anyone who truly believes there are relegation concerns ahead, needs to give their head a shake. All very well some being skeptical with Martinez or indeed a change of manager, and a degree of unbalance, but the very worst I can envisage next season is a lower mid table finish. Looking ahead to the cup tournaments more to be truthful as I feel we just may finally be able to bring in that much elusive trophy. But don't quote me on that.

By Christmas, maybe 9th-11th. As the team begins to gel with the new approach, they'll kick into gear in the spring and finish 6th or 7th. With luck, we could finish 5th.

Liverpool are a complete unknown for me right now, and I wouldn't like to predict whether they'll finish above or below us. Swansea may be last year's West Brom - going gangbusters initially but then falling back. If we do finish 5th, it will be ahead of ManU.

My biggest worry is have we actually added anything to last Years squad? Robles is in but mucha has gone so a straight swap there, Neville has gone alcaraz in, not strictly a straight swap but all the same one out one in(and he's injured already), hitz out delofeu in, again one in one out, the talk is of great things from this lad so hopefully an improvement there, so the only actual additional player is Kone!? I think we suffered a bit of fatigue in the squad last season and with only one extra face I can see this happening again, can't see us with the current squad doing anymore than 7th or 8th at the moment, I think we need at least 3 extra decent bodies in the squad to challenge for a European place

Although I'd still like to see us add another central midfielder (two if Fellaini is sold) I think we have three 'extra' bodies in Barkley, Oviedo and Stones. They hardly featured (not at all in the case of Stones) last season but in pre-season and international action they look very capable of stepping in when needed and I think we'll see more of them this season under Martinez.

I think we'll finish somewhere between 8th and 4th depending on how quickly everything gels, and I'll be hoping we have a good cup run too.

Edited by efc1111

Really difficult to predict this season. I think a lot will depend on what happenes in the January transfer window with Baines and Felli, assuming they are both still here by then

If the Betis game is anything to go by then I will be surprised if we make the top half of the table, but Im hoping that was just a blip and I never read too much into preseason games anyway.

I think a top 10 finish would have to be seen as a success for Martinez first season

My biggest worry is have we actually added anything to last Years squad? Robles is in but mucha has gone so a straight swap there, Neville has gone alcaraz in, not strictly a straight swap but all the same one out one in(and he's injured already), hitz out delofeu in, again one in one out, the talk is of great things from this lad so hopefully an improvement there, so the only actual additional player is Kone!? I think we suffered a bit of fatigue in the squad last season and with only one extra face I can see this happening again, can't see us with the current squad doing anymore than 7th or 8th at the moment, I think we need at least 3 extra decent bodies in the squad to challenge for a European place

Fatigue? What bullshit. Sorry mate, but if a person gets paid tens of thousands of pounds a week they should be fit enough to play 38 games a bloody season. The only need for a larger squad is form IMO.

If that happens then i'm afraid Billy Boy will be facing a slight revolt - I dont think it will. I think RM has McCarthy lined up as an immediate replacement, based on what I seen yesterday McCarthy would take Osmans place as he is more accurate with his passing, i think a trio of Gibson, McCarthy and Barkley would be very tidy.

I really don't. Cant see that working for us. And everyones hyping too much about Barkley too. I like him, I really do, but I cant see him making a massive impact at Goodison Park ever. And even if he did, there is way too much pressure on him this season for everybody, inside and outside the club.

• 2 months later...

So, closing your eyes and forgetting yesterday....

If, at the beginning of the season we'd been offered sixth place after eleven games, one of only two teams with just a single defeat, five points off the top of the table, equal on points with ManU and Spurs, ahead of City and a point behind Chelsea....all after (unluckily) only getting three points from the first three "winnable" games you'd have taken it right?

So, closing your eyes and forgetting yesterday....

If, at the beginning of the season we'd been offered sixth place after eleven games, one of only two teams with just a single defeat, five points off the top of the table, equal on points with ManU and Spurs, ahead of City and a point behind Chelsea....all after (unluckily) only getting three points from the first three "winnable" games you'd have taken it right?

As Jags would say, yeah, definitely!

quoting "close your eyes and forget about yesterday"

If only it was that fucking straight forward. - I wish I could forget everything.

I can't recall quite what was said before, but sure it must have been sixth or seventh place, and see no reason to change. Four no score draws at an early stage of the season may be alarming to some, but as mentioned, it's been a decent start. One league defeat out of all of it, draws against sides we could so easily have beaten on another day, Martinez getting outrageous plaudits, and there's so much further to go. I expect a close call with a european spot, and haven't they added an extra place now as FA Cup runners up and League Cup winners will no longer be eligible for european participation by end of season, so that opens up an extra place in the league that we could feasibly fill. We got every chance to get into europe next season by way of the league but need to be a bit more ruthless in front of goal and show some consistency. All these drawn games we have picked up thus far aren't going to work in our favor by end of season.

I hope so but doubt it, their movement is exceptional. It would be nice if the wheels came off around, oooh I dunno, 28th December? ;)

We were five points behind West Brom at one point last November (they were third at the time I think) and everyone was bigging them up for a European spot. Think Southampton will go the same way they did; though probably not quite so spectacular collapse.

Time will tell :).

Edit: http://www.statto.com/football/stats/england/premier-league/2012-2013/table/2012-11-25

• 2 months later...

Seventh. Unless Liverpool stay in self destruct mode in which case sixth.

I can't see anyone outside of the obvious six having the quality to stay ahead of us over a season.

I knew I'd said this somewhere :).

Anyway, in positive news, we've broken the forty point barrier so relegation is staved off for another year :D. So much nicer doing it in January rather than April/May!

That was done at the start of the season. I still think the top two are city and Chelsea apart from that it's us,arse and the shite. I think without gnasher Liverpool are average and arsenal don't have the depth just like us. If we get Gerry back soon, get a striker and another good midfielder I can see us having a great second half of the season with city and arsenal to play at home we can get third

Heh heh.....had a look back through this thread, with Skybet currently agreeing with my "seventh at worst" by offering us at 1/33 in their "without the big six" market I was feeling a little smug B)).

im quite surprised people are so confident, 9th/10th for me

Out of interest which three teams (ignoring the obvious six) do you think are capable of finishing ahead of us?

Swansea
West Ham
Norwich
Liverpool
I even think Sunderland might do something, they have had decent pre season by all accounts.

Oops Si :lol:.

....everyones hyping too much about Barkley too. I like him, I really do, but I cant see him making a massive impact at Goodison Park ever. And even if he did, there is way too much pressure on him this season for everybody, inside and outside the club.

:doh:

I don't think Southampton will keep it up personally....this year's West Brom.

I hope so but doubt it, their movement is exceptional. It would be nice if the wheels came off around, oooh I dunno, 28th December? ;)

We were five points behind West Brom at one point last November (they were third at the time I think) and everyone was bigging them up for a European spot. Think Southampton will go the same way they did; though probably not quite so spectacular collapse.

Time will tell :).

B) some more.

I really don't. Cant see that working for us. And everyones hyping too much about Barkley too. I like him, I really do, but I cant see him making a massive impact at Goodison Park ever. And even if he did, there is way too much pressure on him this season for everybody, inside and outside the club.

Good shout man :D

I realize I will never see Everton win another league championship in this lifetime, and while some of the kids on these pages may well get that opportunity, until the club receives a major cash injection or takeover from some rich billionaire type, any talk of winning the league (again) seems stuck in fantasy. While only recently club sides such as MCFC and plastics have arrived from nowhere to take the biggest prize in domestic football (you could add Blackburn into it) teams such as Leeds directly before it, achieved the biggest success without need of rich takeovers or crazy money and simply putting together a good side although Wilkinson was hardly ever a great manager. Times change though, and soccer has moved on so much from that time, and while we can't win the league any time soon, at least to be regularly challenging again (as with Moyes before) after so many years away, the club has done well to become recognized once again after the failures of before. I don't want the club to be run by foreign ownership like so many others today, but money is tight, and if we really are going to compete once more, some would argue that is the path to follow. For the last time on this thread, it won't be champions league placings, but a UEFA cup place at best, and somewhere in between a 5th and 8th place finish. That's not really much better off than David Moyes often achieved, but at least with him now departed and a new name in, we can approach success on other fronts. The best time for this is of course end of season so we can see what we actually have ourselves, as it's too early to be making proper judgments, but quietly confident for the remainder of the campaign that we can see a decent end of season.